Runs by national team players not the godsend we think they are

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Runs by national team players not the godsend we think they are

Post by Conant »

Regis Chakabva and Craig Ervine, two of the three batsman who did so dismally wit the bat in the just ended Tests, walked back into Logan Cup this weekend and helped themselves thank-you-very-much to two half centuries and a gigantic ton.

I wish there was something to celebrate here but this is depressing.

That the eternally nervous looking Craig Ervine breezes so brazenly into the Logan Cup and assuredly helps himself to 180 effortless runs in two innings is alarming.

This is not to wish wish that Craig continues his struggles into the domestic game: far from it. But the easy runs on offer for the national team players is a massive indictment of the game.

Though I am not surprised that Regis Chakabva immediately made runs since he was already tuning back into form in his last innings watched innings, his 138 runs (off 120 balls) is perhaps even much much more alarming than Craig's panache. That is strike rate rate of 110! :o In a four day match!

If anything these three innings are not an indication of the two batsman ability abut a terrible indictment of the dross that was surely being served up in the two domestic matches over the week.

If this doesn't leave us fretting for the future of cricket in Zim, nothing will.
Last edited by Conant on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eugene

Re: Runs by national team players not the godsend we think they are

Post by eugene »

A good reminder when some are talking about ditching current national team players and replacing them with guys with averages in the 20s.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Regis saved the test in the last game with a fighting 70 odd not out showing character and balls , don't get why there is so much hate. He has a test hundred for a reason , like I said he just needs a score to get his mojo back. The guy can play and is Probaly the best option we have for the current time. Ervine should be at 4 where it has worked and either hammy or Taylor at 3 , Taylor yes has a great average at 4 but he also has experience opening and playing county cricket on green decks . He's far more comftable at the crease , as you against nz and Sri lanka ervine is our 2nd best bat and 2 bad tests does not mean he is no good all of a sudden. Also roach and Gabriel are a very very good opening combination and better than most country's opening pair, they bowl in partnerships and back each other up nicely.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 pm
A good reminder when some are talking about ditching current national team players and replacing them with guys with averages in the 20s.
This
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

A Logan Cup with 4 sides ( plus ZRS ) is fine as long as all the national team players are available

As it stands we have 4 players in Bangladesh

15 in UAE

And multiple national side players not playing for some reason

Not enough depth to cover this

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

yes I would say too many people were missing in the previous Logan cup round..

What kind of pitches are prepared for the Logan cup games? we need to start preparing more challenging pitches so that our batsmen play in tougher conditions like the West Indians suggested.

pariah

Post by pariah »

The Pakistani brought RS to dilute not concentrate talent.

Your excuse was it's hard for sides to cull veterans, my rebuttal was Domestic Cricket is no longer franchise but centralised, so power from ZC admin. Hence why Byrom and Murray are in.

Generally if silly Brown could get rid of Panyangara I don't think anyone can ever have that excuse again.

Bottom line is mismanagement. Creating a team when you had power to overhaul them.

That's rank stupidity, but again you defend such madness. Why I don't know.

I just really wonder what the genuine ZIM supporter (not foreign supporters because they can't and won't view things from the proper standpoint) genuinely thinks.

The game in their country has been killed, and only a select few are there to reap the last remaining cents left in the coffers.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:34 am

I just really wonder what the genuine ZIM supporter (not foreign supporters because they can't and won't view things from the proper standpoint) genuinely thinks.

The game in their country has been killed, and only a select few are there to reap the last remaining cents left in the coffers.

The irony in this post is sickening

BugsBunny

Post by BugsBunny »

I believe that the problem with domestic setup is that Zim lacks Quality bowlers. The national players score heavily due to the very same reason. Of course this shows they are better than the others in the same lot.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

No it’s just not bad bowlers, it’s lack of talent all round. The scores aren’t particularly huge. Only the top 6 batters are scoring big.

And you all called for this.

Despite myself and Eugene warning of the perils of a 5 team Logan Cup dilution, you were all adamant.

You got it, so clap clap, enjoy the shitshow!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*