Logan Cup Products

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Logan Cup Products

Post by eugene »

This thread offered so much promise.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Here are some further stats regarding Craig Ervine.
He played 18 LC matches in his first 3 years + 2 matches for Zim 'A' against Bangladesh 'A' in 04/05. Sadly he couldn't add to this tally in 05/06 because the administration cancelled the LC first class competition.
After the domestic season in 09/10 he was selected for the tour to the West Indies but only against West Indies 'A'. Then, in 2010 he played his only 2 FC matches in his entire career to date against associates. Thus, 2 FC matches against associates in his first 23 FC matches.
In 2010/11 he was back to LC for 3 matches but also played for Zim 'A' against the touring NZ 'A' as well as two matches for Zim XI against the touring Australian 'A' tourists. This led to test selection against Bangladesh & Pakistan.
Then back to LC in 11/12 & 12/13 for a total of 12 LC matches & a West Indian tour playing 2 tests.
2012/13 was a lean season & then he went to Ireland for 2013 & 2014.
Those are the stats & stats are facts( as someone keeps posting).
In my humble opinion, It is fair to say he struggled in tests early because of a lack of meaningful FC cricket. But this applies to many Zimbabwean internationals. The administration chose to withdraw Zimbabwe from test cricket for 6 years. You can't expect your players to compete when their personal development in their formative years was hindered. I urge everyone to source out Greg Chappell's analysis of why Graeme HIck didn't become an international superstar & is regarded as a flat track bully. In short, the formative years languishing in county cricket as opposed to plying his trade in test cricket till he was 26, hindered his development.
See the analogy?
It's the next generation that has to be nurtured. Sadly scaling back sends an ominous warning.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

In this thread I have learnt that Gavin Ewing is Zimbabwe’s most talented cricketer of all time, mike chinouya is a better player than Craig Ervine, whom of which, has West Indian heritage, unlike his brother Sean.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol:

pariah

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY you're confusing comprehensive LC player experience to general player achievement.

I forgot to add Mawoyo, and yes him, Tiripano, and Chinouya are better LC developed examples than Craig.

Crimson I see no harm in rating Ewing highly and explaining why he was sidelined as well as the famous same attempt on BT by the same person.

2201, give that another try.

The idea is to gauge guys like Prince, Nyumbu etc.

Few can deny Shingi, Chatara and Vitori have been up there with u19-Int developed Panyangara. Few can also deny the same benefits where Jongwe is concerned, plus also acknowledge how lack of the same affected Moor. Likewise More is similarly affected.

Back to ZIMDOGGY, sometimes your lack of ZIM cricket history is disturbing considering all you've gleaned on this forum. Don't remember where, but you mentioned something very illinformed about AC.

pariah

Post by pariah »

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 am
Since the rebel era, and the likes of Taibu, Hami, Matsi, Taylor, Panyangara, Williams, Vusi, Elton, Utseya etc, who weren't really developed by the Logan Cup, we have seen some players come through.

I'll ignore the likes of Mpofu and Malcolm Waller because they too were mostly "developed" by internationals with modest domestic class. I'll also ignore the likes of Jarvis and Querl who really either had minimum exposure to it, or where developed elsewhere. Also missing the cut will be the likes of Ewing and Vermeulen who developed under the old Logan Cup, same applies to young Coventry who it could be argued actually got worse under the "new" Logan Cup.

My focus will be on the top guys.

1.Vitori
2.Chatara
3.Chakabva

4.Shingi
5.Mupariwa
6.Rainsford
7.Craig
8.Meth
9.Mutizwa
10.Duffin
11.Maruma
12.Mutumbami
13.Kasuza
14.Mutombodzi

15.Chinouya
16.Tiripano
17.Mushangwe
18.Nyumbu
19.Garwe
20.Kamungozi

I'll edit as we go because I forgot a few names. This is just to start us off because I don't have time.

Vitori is unique in the sense that no other player has been as excellent progressing from Logan Cup B League, to Main League and finally internationals while being so excellent. Based on that he deserves number one.

In bold you have the future of Zimbabwe cricket, and I think they are quite decent. Tendai Chatara and Regis Chakabva are by far and away the best Logan Cup products form a bowling and batting front, and as a nation I think Zimbabwe can be proud, based on those two as proof of the competition's quality and ability to produce. Next to them there is Kasuza and Wellington. But we'll see how they both go. Wellington has world class stats so far.

Simon Mugava is the one that got away. Potential with both bat and ball, and under the "Streak regime" of spinner-batsmen, he could have developed into something good by now.
Garwe deserves to be in that top 20.

How on earth ZIM don't use Trevor Garwe more in A/XI tours makes no sense at all. Him and Taurai Muzarabani should be there alongside the youngsters. SA used to do that a lot in their A teams and it worked out well. Now that they don't guys like Beuran Hendricks and Dane Paterson are not developing as well. Even throwing in a mature and experienced Phaphama Fojela to be a rudder goes a long way.