Logan Cup Products

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Logan Cup Products

Post by pariah »

Since the rebel era, and the likes of Taibu, Hami, Matsi, Taylor, Panyangara, Williams, Vusi, Elton, Utseya etc, who weren't really developed by the Logan Cup, we have seen some players come through.

I'll ignore the likes of Mpofu and Malcolm Waller because they too were mostly "developed" by internationals with modest domestic class. I'll also ignore the likes of Jarvis and Querl who really either had minimum exposure to it, or where developed elsewhere. Also missing the cut will be the likes of Ewing and Vermeulen who developed under the old Logan Cup, same applies to young Coventry who it could be argued actually got worse under the "new" Logan Cup.

My focus will be on the top guys.

1.Vitori
2.Chatara
3.Chakabva

4.Shingi
5.Mupariwa
6.Rainsford
7.Craig
8.Meth
9.Mutizwa
10.Duffin
11.Maruma
12.Mutumbami
13.Kasuza
14.Mutombodzi

15.Chinouya
16.Tiripano
17.Mushangwe
18.Nyumbu
19.Garwe
20.Kamungozi

I'll edit as we go because I forgot a few names. This is just to start us off because I don't have time.

Vitori is unique in the sense that no other player has been as excellent progressing from Logan Cup B League, to Main League and finally internationals while being so excellent. Based on that he deserves number one.

In bold you have the future of Zimbabwe cricket, and I think they are quite decent. Tendai Chatara and Regis Chakabva are by far and away the best Logan Cup products form a bowling and batting front, and as a nation I think Zimbabwe can be proud, based on those two as proof of the competition's quality and ability to produce. Next to them there is Kasuza and Wellington. But we'll see how they both go. Wellington has world class stats so far.

Simon Mugava is the one that got away. Potential with both bat and ball, and under the "Streak regime" of spinner-batsmen, he could have developed into something good by now.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Logan Cup Products

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

A surprisingly meaningful thread!

The likes of Ncube and Muzarabani can be added. Also, what about the latest stars, Musakanda and Burl? Come to think of it, Cremer is very much a Logan Cup product if you take away the early under-prepared debut.

And what is the "old" and "new" Logan Cup? How are you dividing this? Is it pre and post franchise cricket?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

From the moment the sides changed from the traditional names to Easterns, Westerns etc Logan Cup was never the same
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene

Post by eugene »

Why is Craig Ervine ranked so low? He is our best batsman. Otherwise a surprisingly coherent thread.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:56 pm
A surprisingly meaningful thread!
Aren't they all??? :D
The likes of Ncube and Muzarabani can be added.
Both beyond #20. Muzarabani possibly 21. He just missed oubto Garwe's batting. Ncube can't going ahead of Mboyi and Staddon though can he?
Also, what about the latest stars, Musakanda and Burl?
Very raw FC players. Too soon. You could have mentioned Greg Strydom. That boy scored massive innings at Brendon McCullum strike rates. He is Zimbabwe's version of Mark Cosgrove.
Come to think of it, Cremer is very much a Logan Cup product if you take away the early under-prepared debut.
He's debatable. A bit like Dabengwa.
And what is the "old" and "new" Logan Cup? How are you dividing this? Is it pre and post franchise cricket?
Think Gavin Ewing 1.0 and 2.0. The low middle order bowling all rounder versus the first drop batting "all rounder".

If you think Logan Cup no other player has dominated it like Gavin Ewing I think. Dominated it when the Streaks and Flowers were there as well as after.

Dave Houghton destroyed Ewing's career. If the leeway Brendan Taylor got(overweight & unfit) was extended to Gavin Ewing I think he would have been Zim's most successful cricketer. Arguably he's Zimbabwe's most talented cricketer. It's also no surprise that Houghton was one of the people in the cricket committee(not that other African woman who was scapegoated) who were gunning for Taylor because of his weight but DH's "enemy" AC stepped in. Houghton took no nonsense and unfortunately Ewing suffered the most.

pariah

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 pm
Why is Craig Ervine ranked so low? He is our best batsman.
Very very very lucky to be ranked ahead Duffin, Chinouya, Tiripano, Mutizwa and Meth. In a way I probably ranked him that high because of you :lol: . Most LC players would be very upset to see Craig ahead of them. I think Craig himself would be a bit surprised to see his name above a few names too.

The kind of Logan Cup that Elton Chigumbura is having now with the bat, I think Craig has about a couple.

The boy's FC career was mostly for ZIM A against Associates remember. That's why he struggled in Tests in 2011 because he really has little quality FC experience.

To understand Craig you need to compare him to Shingi. In a way they are bit late comers but Shingi is really a well cooked FC player. (You could also argue that he should have been number 3 in that list).

Craig is extremely lucky generally. There was even a time when he was ZIM's player of the year(ODIs) by pulling "Sean Williamses" - a string of good low order scores in doomed games. I took the selectors all their energy to finally drop Craig, and he couldn't even fight his way back via the LC.

To say Craig should be ranked higher is to argue that PJ Moor is a higher ranked Logan Cup player than Nathan Waller. Which is impossible because we all know PJ like Craig had one good season, got into the A side, excelled, then got into the national team but wasn't dropped while begging for it till he gradually came right. Nathan has been putting in a decent LC shift for quite some time. I would know because I punted him at the right time and that was how long ago?

NB: I was also very harsh on Nyumbu. LC really made him an international.

pariah

Post by pariah »

It could be argued that LC boosted Gary Balance, Mpoen Ali and Liam Dawson. Did I miss anyone else?

Possibly Peter Trego who has to have been bewitched to have missed out. How does Dawson make it and he doesn't? Witchcraft! He wasn't directed to the same sangoma those two went to.

Ballance lived off his LC average for so many years. Much like RtdS's ODI avg vs Associates.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Season-by-season Logan Cup average for Craig Ervine from his formative years. Not a bad return really.

2003/04 - 55.25
2004/05 - 33.20
2009/10 - 33.82
2010/11 - 60.50
2011/12 - 38.88
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am
Season-by-season Logan Cup average for Craig Ervine from his formative years. Not a bad return really.

2003/04 - 55.25
2004/05 - 33.20
2009/10 - 33.82
2010/11 - 60.50
2011/12 - 38.88
:lol: you're naughty.

You would be more successful at trying to extrapolate just how good a batsman Craig Ervine would have been had he really focused on the Logan Cup. He would have been a world class Test batsman, not Taibu-Hami-Taylor level.

That and his IQ are what stop him from greatness. Plus now age no longer on his side.

Problem with Craig is he always thinks he's untouchable after each "purple patch". Ditched ZIM briefly prematurely and was brought down to earth. Might resemble Sean, but maybe he has the blood of a West Indian milkman

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

pariah wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 am
Think Gavin Ewing 1.0 and 2.0. The low middle order bowling all rounder versus the first drop batting "all rounder".

If you think Logan Cup no other player has dominated it like Gavin Ewing I think. Dominated it when the Streaks and Flowers were there as well as after.

Dave Houghton destroyed Ewing's career. If the leeway Brendan Taylor got(overweight & unfit) was extended to Gavin Ewing I think he would have been Zim's most successful cricketer. Arguably he's Zimbabwe's most talented cricketer. It's also no surprise that Houghton was one of the people in the cricket committee(not that other African woman who was scapegoated) who were gunning for Taylor because of his weight but DH's "enemy" AC stepped in. Houghton took no nonsense and unfortunately Ewing suffered the most.
Right, there it goes. Down the drain. If that is the answer to a simple honest question, I guess we know where this thread is headed.