[MUGABE HAS RESIGNED] Zimbabwe celebrates!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [MUGABE HAS RESIGNED] Zimbabwe celebrates!

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 pm
pariah wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 pm
Speaking of which you haven’t given your age into that thread. So until you do, the context of your point is lost.
I was 16 when I joined ZCF. ;)
Are you speaking from a point of maturity or youth?
Both. Far too much is made of the distinction between mental and chronological age.
Too much emphasis?
You’ve made multiple references to the ages socme tha thread but haven’t contributed yourself !
I have a game for you. Now that you've identified some of the "senior citizens" in this thread, try attach some possible famous faces to them - politicians, sports figures, actors etc of any era even though some of the youngsters might not know them (no Hitlers and Mugabes please :D ). Can throw me in for interest's sake.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Zimdoggy, a lot of people like loving in suburban areas. A few even like rural farmland like comedian Dave Chappelle. Thats personal preference and related to population density. Zimbabwe doesnt have that problem to worry about. Large country with a small population.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

I clearly recall a census in 1979 that put us at 4 million. We’re now apparently at 14 million plus the 3 million in the diaspora. We don’t have the resources or infrastructure to support this. Harare is supposedly close to 4 million with the rural-urban drift. So in 35 years our then entire population now lives in one city! Just do the maths with water, sewerage, electrical, housing, health care and schooling requirements. In all this time we’ve barely developed, it’s a big problem. Potable water resources may be the biggest looming disaster. Cape Town will officially run out of water in March, the first city in the world to ever do so. I was listening to someone on the radio in their Ministry stating that they’d ordered 5000 jojo tanks and that they were drilling some boreholes and that the situation was under control. This is the calibre of people throughout government in SA and Zim and it’s terrifying. We face monumental problems here and It’s not just Zim, I’ve done a lot of traveling in Africa and the population pressures on natural resources are actually insurmountable.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Time to start buying up water and sell it in Africa.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Our Harare municipal water comes from Chivero and Darwendale. It’s completely undrinkable, has levels of contamination that are horrifying. It’s filtered through the Morton Jaffray waterworks and it’s completely sub standard. The supply to Harare is bizarre, less than half the suburbs receive municipal water, my suburb hadn’t had water for 10 years! We rely on borehole water which is contaminated by E. Coli because every household has septic tanks and soakaways. Our water table ran dry last year because unscrupulous people pump and sell the water. It’s sold at $50 per 5000 litres and is big business here. We’ve had numerous court orders preventing the illegal pumping and selling but they just bribed the officials and kept going. Of late it seems to be under control, but that’s because the boreholes are mostly dry.
It’s a poor situation and if this is not a good rainy season we’re in real trouble. We came within a whisker of Kariba falling below the minimum level for hydroelectric generation and only our second biggest rainfall season in recorded history saved us from blackout. We’re perhaos going to limp through the next season (only just), but if rainfall patterns continue to lessen the outlook is bleak. There’s a good site for another dam in the Harare catchment which should have been built years ago and is now a pressing necessity.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The government started policing the pumping last year because it became a revenue stream and they were charging $15 per 5000 litres. Bizarrely the legislation states that underground water belongs to the President! No jokes!
Just in our catchment they were pumping and selling a million litres a day. As I said we face problems that require serious people to try and resolve. Don’t get me started on sewerage, electricity and refuse collection.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I just received a message on a chat group that there’s a joint military operation in town today to chase out vendors, touts and illegal taxis. In theory this is overdue, but when you have 90% unemployment and these poor folk don’t have options there’s going to be problems. There was a similar operation years ago called Operation Marambatsvina which was chaotic and caused deep resentments. We get more fake news than CNN so it might be nonsense, but the next 6 months building up to elections are going to be drama filled.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Australia does have rules on foreign investment to protect first time Australian buyers.

Foreign investors can only buy “off the plan” so pretty much units in the city. The building industry in Sydney is booming big time there are unit blocks going up left right and centre. The people of Sydney are benefiting as there is so much work on you’d have to be an absolute bum not to be earning good coin.
If this is ‘so good’ then why by design does there need to be any restrictions in place at all?
Water is very good for humans to drink. We don’t restrict our drinking of it.
A blaise attempt to protect first hole buyers is an admission of knowing the Chinese have severely contributed to locking the locals out of the market, it’s also Australia being complicit in Chinese internal tax dodging.

Having units upon units springing up in the city is not s good thing, it’s decreasing our quality of life as shops and houses are knocked down for multi storey units, we now have some of the craziest amount of gridlock in the world and that’s not a good thing. Sustainability and balance is important, do you think Hong Kong is a city of high quality living?
jaybro wrote:
Tell me where else in the world an un-skilled worker can put $2K in their pocket each week ( legally of course ) ???
What jobs are unskilled people clearing 150k plus a year?
Please list them so I can apply.
jaybro wrote:
If the overseas investors weren’t buying up the units then no one would be so less work and money for everyone.
Please. We are a city that has prices in the top ten of the world and have been rising considerably. Most Australians have been priced out of the market. You need a high income just to buy in a faraway dodgy suburb if you were to purchase right now.
I can see why you are loving it if you were wise enough to invest ten years ago, but don’t confuse your own self interest with what’s best for the majority of people out there!
When I was in Tallinn a few weeks ago, I observed luxury 3 bedroom multi storey apartments on sale for 200k Aussie. Eugene has a nice house in Waco Texas for a similar amount. Quality of life > mortgage slavery.
Also we don’t want to simply build to employ builders. Tail doesn’t wag the dog !
jaybro wrote:
If you don’t agree with me Dogg listen to some of Mark Bouris’ podcasts, unless you think you’re smarter than him as well
Mark Bouris probably has financial interests in China. Agenda! Same way you have an interest in seeing prices of houses rise.

All that being said, some foreign investment is ok, but remember, China are not the Red Cross, they buy to help themselves not us. Like crimson said, foreign investment can work if its highly regulated and boundaries are set. Right now we have ridiculous situations where produce and what not grown up the road is being sold cheaper to China than here. Because when people sell us away they are doing it out of self interest and not the long term future of the people. If I had a banana farm and a chinaman offered me 50 million for it then I can’t say no. I’ve also heard on the radio a lot of horrifying in depth forecasts that I don’t remember but troubled me.
It’s not right!
A country needs to be self sufficient.
So much to answer here

Yes i Believe having foreign investment in our economy is good ( China aren't the only ones investing here ) but it is important to protect our own people by restricting foreign investment. Generally people or corporations are buying up blocks of land next to each other and then demolishing them and building unit blocks. So by knocking down 4 houses you're producing upwards of 30 units so I cant see the problem there?

Australia although large in mass is largely un-populated and with the high amount of migrants we take in where will we put all these people if not for building units or building new housing estates.

Sydney is bad for traffic at the moment but surely it's not the worst in the world? Plus the NSW Government is putting a lot of money into new roads and transport which again creates more work and money to be made.

In any market its about supply and demand and in the housing market if we eliminated the foreign investors then there would be no demand so the construction boom in Sydney would be non-existent. Im not sure what industry you're in Dogg but most industries feed off the construction industry ( especially the industry Im in ).

As for the job just try every construction company in Sydney and offer your services as a labourer, yes it's hard work and you'll need to work 50-60 hours a week but there are plenty of guys out there who have no qualifications earning top dollar and learning new skills on construction sites in Sydney.

Sydney is a fast moving city and you need to get in and have a crack otherwise you'll get left behind, If you want to work hard there's plenty of money to be made and if you invest smartly there are big rewards. But if you're lazy and want to cruise in life Sydney isn't the place for you, house prices are through the roof and daily expenses are high, but although people in Sydney whinge about how expensive everything is they're still happy to drive around flash cars or splash out 65 inch 4k TV's or sink beers and bags at the Pavilion on a Sunday. They can afford all this because there is plenty of money to be made here.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

If this government or the next make the right moves this place will boom. Property prices will rocket.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Googly wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 am
Cape Town will officially run out of water in March, the first city in the world to ever do so. This is the calibre of people throughout government in SA and Zim and it’s terrifying.
Cape Town has been under white rule for 12 years. For a Metro it has the highest poverty, has the highest crime - theft, murder etc - in whole of SA, and dirty. They even built uncovered toilets out in the open for Black people and they had to use blankets each time they went there. I won't start on the levels of racism there. South Africa even has s hashtag for Cape Town.

That's the calibre of government! No other municipal gvt in SA is that useless. Thankfully for them their funders control the media.