[MUGABE HAS RESIGNED] Zimbabwe celebrates!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

[MUGABE HAS RESIGNED] Zimbabwe celebrates!

Post by eugene »

I know this isn't a cricket topic, but politics and cricket in Zimbabwe are most certainly intertwined.

Soldiers have taken over the state broadcaster and explosions have been heard in Harare: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41992351

While Mugabe deserves everything he gets in trying to turn Zimbabwe into his own family fiefdom, I am not sure a military coup will lead to better governance.
Last edited by eugene on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe Coup underway?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Hope that everyone is safe!

Tha being said, as long as whoever comes to power can ensure justice and prosperity, does it really matter? Lets hope for the very best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene

Post by eugene »

Yeah, no one in the military is going to ensure justice and prosperity. These guys are as bad as the ones they are trying to overthrow.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Stickying this one. As you said it's all intertwined.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

The ZANU statement was interesting reading - http://www.thezimbabwean.co/wp-content/ ... r-2017.pdf

eugene

Post by eugene »

The military are claiming it is not a coup and that they are just removing criminals who are around Mugabe. Of course the military always deny coups when they launch them.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

We need to get an account from gargamel or Googly or someone else on the ground. The media reports are pretty light on for detail.

I guess it doesn't help that it's the middle of the night in Zim either.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I was chatting with googly earlier who confirmed that armoured vehicles were in Harare yesterday, specificallyat the Presidential Guard HQ, I guess there to neutralise any threat they pose.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Personally heard gunshots in the middle of the night.. sounded like AK-47 kind of fire. with a couple of explosions. true story. I don't live too far from where the President lives. they have taken over the state broadcasters. will see if they are present on the streets. somebody I know who has a very early start to his day said there are some military roadblocks present.

Will see what happens over time. nothing is 100% clear yet

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

No coincidence that this comes amongst the Cremer match fixing scandal.

The public are up in arms.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*