Afghanistan tour announced No Test match !!!!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Afghanistan tour announced No Test match !!!!

Post by jaybro »

Tour announced of UAE v Afghanistan

2 t20’s

5 ODI’s

No test match as rumoured

What’s the point in the associates like Afghanistan battling to get Test status when they don’t use it ??

I honestly thought Ireland and Afghanistan would have played a Test match by now

https://t.co/0OlzD15fyz
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

aydee

Re: Afghanistan tour announced No Test match !!!!

Post by aydee »

This is going to be a very tricky series before the WCQs!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

This is a joke surely
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Shortleg

Post by Shortleg »

I really don't mind that Zimbabwe don't play too many tests, if at all. Its a miracle we that we still have a semi decent side and functioning board considering the state of the country, its a complete mess and having been in the Zim cricket structures they (were?) are just as big a mess. Qualifying for the world cup is no easy task and one gets a sense that it is of utmost importance given the financial situation. Therefore I reckon we need to start from the bottom again. Keep building on club and domestic cricket, keep developing programs such as rising stars and U19 tours, keep opening pathways for youngsters to the top, make sure there is a proper structure (and motivations) to keep talented youngsters in the system, build a competitive t20 and ODI side with DEPTH and most importantly make sure that the cricket board remains financially viable. It is a business and must be run as such.

If this can be achieved and it seems like it may be on the right track the Zimbabwe will definitely be playing test cricket in the future. No point deepening the financial hole the ZC is in and killing off cricket.

Id love to see lots of t20 and ODI cricket in the interim and the development of a competitive side.

Anyway my 2c

aydee

Post by aydee »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am
This is a joke surely
This is right before the WCQs. Test cricket (which I love, for what it is worth) would just be an unneeded distraction at that particular time.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

after the boxing day test we should focus on limited overs cricket only.. we need as many games as possible and it will be a good way of seeing if Taylor and Jarvis have actually added any value to our team in that format. nothing wrong with sizing the opposition before the big test. especially if this political mess drags on and we don't host anymore playing a few games prior I'm the middle East might actually be an advantage

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'm glad there's more limited overs games, but would have loved to have seen us against the Afghans.

Rashid Khan will be their only trump card. Nabi is obviously world class and their fast bowlers (as fast as they are) will not trouble us. Pace we play fine, spin, not so fine

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 pm
I'm glad there's more limited overs games, but would have loved to have seen us against the Afghans.

Rashid Khan will be their only trump card. Nabi is obviously world class and their fast bowlers (as fast as they are) will not trouble us. Pace we play fine, spin, not so fine
Dawlat, Hamid, and Gulbaddin are all pacers and all 3 have bowled match winning spells against ZIM. Dawlat has bowled a few of them in fact especially with his reverse swing and Waqar like action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:54 pm
after the boxing day test we should focus on limited overs cricket only.. we need as many games as possible and it will be a good way of seeing if Taylor and Jarvis have actually added any value to our team in that format. nothing wrong with sizing the opposition before the big test. especially if this political mess drags on and we don't host anymore playing a few games prior I'm the middle East might actually be an advantage
Absolutely. And we have time for tests after the qualifiers anyway. In fact, that seems to be the planning by the two boards too.

And we need not be this desperate for a solitary test match against the Afghans. If anything, it is their prerogative to schedule their inaugural test and they are the ones losing out if they aren't moving fast in getting the fixtures finalized.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The decision to postpone Tests makes sense but only in the sense that a 5 day match will dramatically increase the chances of injury to key players with only weeks before a major tournament. Its one thing if the top 6 sides were safe, but as it is only 2 teams will make it and with the Windies there its almost like there is only one spot up for grabs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)