Do we have suggestions to clear off the heavy ZC debt?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Do we have suggestions to clear off the heavy ZC debt?

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 am
I will agree that we need to actually get a breakdown of how exactly this debt built up. we spent a lot of money for that t20 comp. who organized it? and even getting foreign guys to coach local teams was expensive. the spending at that time was extremely reckless
As is the spending under the Pakistani.

Guys here don't want to acknowledge that ZC debt only spiralled out of control when AC became part of itd, an that things are actually getting worse under the Pakistani.

Most competent journos will give you breakdowns under a particular President or Finance Minister or Reserve Bank Governor. These ones will give you nothing and hide under empty excuses about "unaudited financials" yet every sports organisation submits reports to SRC and Parly.

The fact of the matter is journos are simply protecting people, and it's not Bvute and Chingoka.

I remember a white South African company got the deal to install electronic scoreboards, out-not out signals etc, plus accommodation, holiday, allowances etc, for execs and workers. Over and above the actual cost other items! Just for a freaking scoreboard! Then people will tell you AC got grounds maintained. Recall his own crazy personal demands when he was sacked or rejected by ZC?

pariah

Post by pariah »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:47 pm
I don't think any of them came for huge money. As I said it was before the franchise "league" craze took off around the globe.

I think one of the players (Greg Smith) just happened to be in the region, made a few phone calls and rocked up to play. It was hardly like it was raining money, although by Zimbabwe standards it was probably a rather expensive tournament.
Let's have the exposé then!

Why have Liam and Tristan been writing junk all these years then if they are sitting on such harmless info?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I read on this forum years ago Lara was paid 20k. Before financier lee was a huge talking point here. But he didn’t play the whole season and ended up, or was asked to, make it up with speeches and coaching clinics
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

Shouldn't the question be: how do you get the ZC making more money?

Sure, clearing debt, cutting costs, etc are important things to do but ultimately useless if you can't get more money. In the short term, getting more sponsors, tv contracts is the only way. Long term though, it's about making the team competitive and hospitable (i.e. no more dilapidated facilities) which feeds into an attractive product (more lucrative tv contracts, more bums on the seats, better media coverage) and hence more India, Eng and Aus tours.

As an aside, there could be a shorter, pie in the sky, expensive route. ZC should do a thorough, professional review and then approach Kwese TV. Owned by a wealthy Zimbo who might be willing to take an initial loss and a potential long term gain provided he trusts the people in charge, he can buy out the current tv contract (or sub lease it), then in addition broadcast domestic cricket (a modest but relatively lucrative T20 tournament plus Logan Cup). Many of us overseas will pay for access to a tv app if the money will be used correctly.

We can all dream, hey?
Last edited by Boundary on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

May be cricket_22001 was right. I should never have started this thread. The idea was to gather ideas to get to clean slate quickly, not the same old Bvute did this AC did that nonsense.
Boundary wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 pm
Shouldn't the question be: how do you get the ZC making more money?

Sure, clearing debt, cutting costs, etc are important things to do but ultimately useless if you can't get more money. In the short term, getting more sponsors, tv contracts is the only way. Long term though, it's about making the team competitive and hospitable (i.e. no more dilapidated facilities) which feeds into an attractive product (more lucrative tv contracts, more bums on the seats, better media coverage) and hence more India, Eng and Aus tours.

As an aside, there could a shorter, pie in the sky, expensive route. ZC should a thorough, professional review and then approach Kwese TV. Owned by a wealthy Zimbo who might be willing to take an initial loss and a potential long term gain provided he trusts the people in charge, he can buy out the current tv contract (or sub lease it), then in addition broadcast domestic cricket (a modest but relatively lucrative T20 tournament plus Logan Cup). Many of us overseas will pay for access to a tv app if the money will be used correctly.

We can all dream, hey?
And very much this too. Planning towards making money as well. But yeah, unfortunately, we won't be getting more posts like this one...

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I like the Kwese idea and you are right that we need to start making money as well.. if Kwese could pay for the domestic rights for local cricket we could get going. do we have enough equipment to broadcast at more than one venue? a lot of homework needs to be done in that field. Provinces/franchises/clubs not being able to sustain themselves is one of the biggest problems we face. hopefully we can get the economy back on track with these new guys.

the first step we can take is being more competitive overall so that our brand grows bigger. we desperately need that and hopefully this team can start doing that at least from the tri series in January going forward.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Some good ideas Boundary. If there’s some sort of economic revival if/when Mnangagwa makes some meaningful changes it would make a huge difference. I’m not sure what the tax breaks are for corporates for sponsorship deals, does anyone know? There are still no lights at Sports club! Surely that’s a priority? The bums on seats is sound in theory but people have no money to pay what they should to spectate and even if there was an economic revival of sorts there’s a culture of cheap or free entry to get a crowd that’s going to be hard to break.
After that solidarity march quite a few folk ended up at Sports Club to quench a thirst and there was a game on (RS vs u19’s), it was a poignant reminder of happier times.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You have to to go some to find a better place to watch cricket than Harare Sports Club, it’s a beautiful ground and has a good vibe when people are mingling and enjoying themselves.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wonder if rentals are still received from all the corporate boxes? In days gone by they used to put up additional hospitality tents for ODI’s, it’s no longer possible with the overpriced AC embankment that was made, something I have mixed feelings about.

Googly

Post by Googly »

pariah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:53 pm
TapsC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 am
I will agree that we need to actually get a breakdown of how exactly this debt built up. we spent a lot of money for that t20 comp. who organized it? and even getting foreign guys to coach local teams was expensive. the spending at that time was extremely reckless
As is the spending under the Pakistani.

Guys here don't want to acknowledge that ZC debt only spiralled out of control when AC became part of itd, an that things are actually getting worse under the Pakistani.

Most competent journos will give you breakdowns under a particular President or Finance Minister or Reserve Bank Governor. These ones will give you nothing and hide under empty excuses about "unaudited financials" yet every sports organisation submits reports to SRC and Parly.

The fact of the matter is journos are simply protecting people, and it's not Bvute and Chingoka.

I remember a white South African company got the deal to install electronic scoreboards, out-not out signals etc, plus accommodation, holiday, allowances etc, for execs and workers. Over and above the actual cost other items! Just for a freaking scoreboard! Then people will tell you AC got grounds maintained. Recall his own crazy personal demands when he was sacked or rejected by ZC?
The Pakistani policeman has been put in place now long after AC has gone. That’s because they’re aware of the improprieties which they feel is not in Zim cricket’s interests to make public. That’s because these ZC guys have so entrenched themselves that they can’t be rooted out. There would just be a reshuffling of the chairs on the Titanic and they’d turn to iCC and say “there, is that acceptable?” Which is essentially what they’ve done. What’s unacceptable is that there are good administrators here, but they will never get a shot. The fact that ZC prefer a foreigner over them tells you how desperately they need to hang on. I know it’s unlikely, but a different political climate would see monumental change to our fortunes. I have hope, it may well be dashed, but it would be a great day seeing some of these guys being red carded.