Lessons from the West Indian Bowlers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Lessons from the West Indian Bowlers

Post by TapsC »

I am still very impressed by what I saw from Gabriel and Roach and was thinking how we could apply ourselves in the same manner.

Firstly Gabriel was a perfect example of how express pace can make something happen from nothing. the weather and conditions are unlikely to be consistent over 5 days. Suddenly Gabriel found himself bowling in overcast conditions on day 1 of the second test and he made that pace count. Even Mpofu made something happen with a slightly quicker bowl than usual and caught one guy completely off guard.this is why for me we cant just discard Vitori.

if hundreds of thousands were spent bringing back BT and Jarvis why not pump 20k into Vitori to take him to a world class coaching clinic and get that effort ball corrected. we need that pace that he has. even in that game he got called against Sri Lanka he was making things happen. I don't think we have anybody bowling faster than Vitori at the moment. even those kids are just touching the 140kph mark.

Secondly and perhaps the biggest lesson was from Roach. A guy who used to be lightning quick but has adapted to his situation and is absolutely world class even though he is bowling in the mid 130s now. some of the wickets he got would have got some of the best batsmen in the world out. now why can't our guys adjust like that and be trusted. Chatara and Jarvis should take notes and develop the same skill sets. Jarvis did claim 3 wickets in that 1 test and that is more than our usual quicks take so I will give him that.

They also showed me that we need guys who can genuinely swing the ball as well. a lot of our guys are just line and length types. who would you guys say can really swing the ball that we can develop?

Bottom line is Makhaya and Streak need to step up and put more work into the guys.. the talent is there. it's now just about getting them to develop the right skill sets

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Lessons from the West Indian Bowlers

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 am
if hundreds of thousands were spent bringing back BT and Jarvis
Relax you're sounding like Hhm
TapsC wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 am
why not pump 20k into Vitori to take him to a world class coaching clinic and get that effort ball corrected. we need that pace that he has. even in that game he got called against Sri Lanka he was making things happen. I don't think we have anybody bowling faster than Vitori at the moment. even those kids are just touching the 140kph mark.
I read somewhere Vitori is having his action tested again soon can't remember what article though
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement