How other sides are shaping up before the World Cup Qualifiers 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: How the sides shaping up before the World Cup Qualifiers 2018

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:40 pm
I simply don't think we're going to qualify.

All the teams seem to be too strong for us to beat. Ireland are Ireland and will always have that grit and arrogance when they play Zimbabwe. Afghanistan have a powerful bowling attack but a weak batting line up, so they may be vulnerable. The dutch have really strengthened up with the return of Ryan Tendo, and Alex Kerveeze soon to come back. The Scottish are a class outfit I think.
It's going to be very tough
Dont think the Scots or the Hong Kongers are contenders.

WI, AFG, IRE, ZIM are the only ones with any serious shot. As strong as the Dutch are, they have best 3 of those 4 sides I just mentioned to make it.

Its going to be a slugfest tho. Cant wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Interesting to see how the Windies go in these qualifiers, they’re obviously massive favourites to progress but if there was ever a side who take things for granted with their lad back attitude it’s them.

I’ll be very surprised if they go through undefeated I’m very confident someone will knock them off at some point.

With Jarvis and Chatara taking the new ball I think Zimbabwe has the bowling attack to cause Afghanistan problems, as the Windies showed in their 3 ODI series they don’t like good fast bowling especially the short ball.

Zimbabwe also had some success against them in the most recent ODI series with a combo of Chatara, Ngarava & Mpofu.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm
Interesting to see how the Windies go in these qualifiers, they’re obviously massive favourites to progress but if there was ever a side who take things for granted with their lad back attitude it’s them.

I’ll be very surprised if they go through undefeated I’m very confident someone will knock them off at some point.

With Jarvis and Chatara taking the new ball I think Zimbabwe has the bowling attack to cause Afghanistan problems, as the Windies showed in their 3 ODI series they don’t like good fast bowling especially the short ball.

Zimbabwe also had some success against them in the most recent ODI series with a combo of Chatara, Ngarava & Mpofu.
With even poor batting, the Afghans have enough spin resources to be favorites to finish in the top 2. Unfortunately their batting needs some improvememts just to get to poor. No idea how Stanikzai is still in the team, let alone captain.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:14 am
https://www.dailynews.co.zw/articles/20 ... haya-ntini

ZC will look into the coaching staff after the qualifiers. the words almost sound like a threat if we don't qualify.
That's great and rightfully so!
Flakeman wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm
Qualifying or not qualifying will make or break Zim Cricket. Could be some dire times if we fail to qualify. But if we do, it will be so so sweet.
Many here fought so hard and for so long arguing this point against me via overstating ICC funds as if they were automatic.

I'm glad pretty much everyone is on board now. :lol:

pariah

Post by pariah »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:40 pm
I simply don't think we're going to qualify.
Zimbabwe will definitely not qualify!

How on earth this is still not a forgone conclusion is beyond me.

As things stand, there's about a greater chance of ZIM not winning a single game.

Worse now considering pampered players only playing whenever they want(not even Neil Johnson and Andy Flower had such luxuries), no List A tourney, plus a captain with half the IQ of Asghar Stanikzai.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

No Dwayne Bravo for the Windies, in qualifiers as he announced no more international cricket.

Irish with new pace attack, Afghans will be getting their basher Shehzad back, Netherlands with return of their stars, competative Scottish & Hong Kong Side, looking strong.

Netherlands likely to surprise with their players having experience in top level domestic cricket from Australia, South Africa, UK

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

this is where I get confused. are we saying Taylor and Jarvis are not as good as the Irish guys back for them? we are a much stronger side than we were a year ago. I think the next few months will prove that. especially our batting.

The format of the thing will determine a lot. I see one killer semi-final where 2 out of Zim Afghanistan and the West Indies will be involved. if we survive that and face Ireland I would say we have a good chance. saw one game live when they came over in 2015 and they did not impress me to be honest

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:34 am
this is where I get confused. are we saying Taylor and Jarvis are not as good as the Irish guys back for them? we are a much stronger side than we were a year ago. I think the next few months will prove that. especially our batting.

The format of the thing will determine a lot. I see one killer semi-final where 2 out of Zim Afghanistan and the West Indies will be involved. if we survive that and face Ireland I would say we have a good chance. saw one game live when they came over in 2015 and they did not impress me to be honest

Come to 2017 Folks !!!! Irish beat Afghanistan 2-1 in odi series in UAE without their star batsman ED Joyce.

Their pace bowling attack looks powerful now, with the return of Boyd Rankin. It includes experienced Tim Murtagh and two sensational young pacers that troubled Afghans in UAE, Peter Chase & Barry Mccarthy, with pace about 140 to 142 kph and swing and Craig Young also has got promise.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Black Mamba wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:56 am

Come to 2017 Folks !!!! Irish beat Afghanistan 2-1 in odi series in UAE without their star batsman ED Joyce.

Their pace bowling attack looks powerful now, with the return of Boyd Rankin. It includes experienced Tim Murtagh and two sensational young pacers that troubled Afghans in UAE, Peter Chase & Barry Mccarthy, with pace about 140 to 142 kph and swing and Craig Young also has got promise.
McCarthy is a medium pacer. Bowls around 125 i think. I may be mistaken, but I don't remember him being quick by any stretch of the imagination. He has been effective however.

Rankin is good, but can be wayward. I doubt he has the pace he had in his early days. Chase is decent, but again can spray it all over the place. Murtagh is good and solid, but nothing special.

Their batting is their strength, as it is Afghanistan's weakness. Stirling, Balbirnie can take the game away. Porterfield and Joyce are the bedrocks with tons of experience. And KJ Obrien is a useful hitter down the order. Dockrell can tonk a few as well.

Dockhrell's form with the ball has be a revelation. This guy was earmarked for big things back in 2011 but didn't develop until now. Such is often the case with spinners.

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:02 am
Black Mamba wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:56 am

McCarthy is a medium pacer. Bowls around 125 i think. I may be mistaken, but I don't remember him being quick by any stretch of the imagination. He has been effective however.

Rankin is good, but can be wayward. I doubt he has the pace he had in his early days. Chase is decent, but again can spray it all over the place. Murtagh is good and solid, but nothing special.

Their batting is their strength, as it is Afghanistan's weakness. Stirling, Balbirnie can take the game away. Porterfield and Joyce are the bedrocks with tons of experience. And KJ Obrien is a useful hitter down the order. Dockrell can tonk a few as well.

Dockhrell's form with the ball has be a revelation. This guy was earmarked for big things back in 2011 but didn't develop until now. Such is often the case with spinners.

Chase can hit 140 kph. Mccarthy has got swing can be above 130 kph.They troubled Afghans in a flat spinning track of UK, with pace and seam and the matches were provided live telecast.

Rankin has got down, but still can hit 140+. Irish has now got improved pace bowling attack
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct