Least talented Zimbabwean

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Least talented Zimbabwean

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Agree with all the names in the original post.

Also, agree that Dion does not belong here. He was a supreme talent who just had one major setback - inability to rotate strike.

What about Stuart "all doom and gloom" Carlisle? He didn't look anywhere near as natural as, say, a Craig Wishart or a Gavin Rennie, but ended up captaining Zim in tests, scoring a test and an ODI hundred in Australia no less.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yes Stu Carlisle one of my favourite players but he’s not much natural talent more of a grit and grind type of player.

I’m surprised Dion is rated so highly here in the forum, he was a great fielder but I think you guys are being very generous with your recollections of his batting
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

He was rubbish yes but I don’t think in my mind he lacked a degree of natural talent like some.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Blessing Mawhire is another guy who absolutely struggled at international level for me.

looking back why did the likes of Mawhire and Pommie and Hondo quit so early? Waddington Mwayenga is another one.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am
Blessing Mawhire is another guy who absolutely struggled at international level for me.

looking back why did the likes of Mawhire and Pommie and Hondo quit so early? Waddington Mwayenga is another one.
From what I recall;

Pommie probably saw a commentary opportunity when he was dropped. The original tino.

Blessing- was still playing up until a few seasons ago. Just fizzled out and dropped from squads.

Hondo- still playing at the turn of the century, started to fizzle and got into coaching. No hard retirement likecalot of these guys. They just drift away.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 am
Dion Ebrahim really didn’t have much ability as batsman but both somehow managed to score international centuries
That's why you say a lot of wrong things about Zimbabwean cricket. Shocking comment.

pariah

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 am
TapsC wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am

From what I recall;

Pommie probably saw a commentary opportunity when he was dropped. The original tino.

Blessing- was still playing up until a few seasons ago. Just fizzled out and dropped from squads.

Hondo- still playing at the turn of the century, started to fizzle and got into coaching. No hard retirement likecalot of these guys. They just drift away.
Hondo was injured. Hondo was one of the best Limited overs bowlers in the world.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

pariah wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 am
Hondo was one of the best Limited overs bowlers in the world.
🎣🎣🎣

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

reverbinstinct

Post by reverbinstinct »

Surely we can throw malcolm waller into this mix too right?

pariah

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 am
I keep hearing over and over again things like ‘vusi sibanda is so naturally talented’ which I disagree (another story)
I don't think anyone has ever said that. Maybe in passing but the context has never been that.. In fact there's been several debates here that Vusi (like Hami, Regis etc is a textbook batsmen) hence the constant arguments that they must open the batting. A perspective I completely disagree with.
3. Pommie Mbangwa.
Just black Gary Brent really.
You're being harsh on Pommie
4. Tino Mawoyo.
No real shot selection. Fat. Just the ability to be a brick. Unbelievable focus, intelligence and resilience got him to the top.
Tino was once one of the most dashing Limited Overs batsmen in Zimbabwe. great at u19 level too. Him adjusting doesn't make him "least talented"
5. Prosper utseya.

Black Ray Price. Same career trajectory to a tee.
5 ft tall. Found out he could scam some turn later in his career by bending the elbow. Scammmed his way to a World Cup payday.
Played upon political sensitivities
Now scammed his way to the coaching seat.
You compltetely lost the plot here. Utseya could bat remember, and was a very good fielder. Both off his bowling or otherwise. Also quite swift on the field.

Your list should almost be entirely be made up of your farmers. How you don't have at least 10 of them before you even touch the current generation is bemusing really.