Best Performing Players in 2017

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Best Performing Players in 2017

Post by tawac »

With domestic cricket taking a break I think the stand out players so far this season would have to be Mutombodzi, Zhuwao, Nyauchi and Masuku. These guys should be getting in the training squad at list. Tiripano has been punched above his weight with the bat as well and just enough with the ball too. Williams and Raza seem to have a hold on the spinning allrounder spot so that may keep Mutombodzi in the A side for a bit longer. But Zhuwao will be asking a lot of questions about that second opening stop. The fact that the incumbent hasn't playing any cricket doesn't help the situation. It will be interesting to see how the selectors go given that Chatara and KJ seem to be having fitness issues with the team crying out for wicket takers something the pair of Nyauchi and Masuku having been doing effortlessly.
Last edited by tawac on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Best Performing Players in 2017

Post by jaybro »

Can’t argue there Tawac

Mutombodzi has done very well with bat & ball definitely needs to be back in and around the squad

Interested to see Masuku or Nyauchi bowl as I haven’t seen them myself

Zhuwao and Mutizwa have also had good seasons but I don’t think either are really in the selection conversation
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

tawac wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:45 am
It will be interesting to see how the selectors go given that Chatara and KJ seem to be having fitness issues with the team crying out for wicket takers something the pair of Nyauchi and Masuku having been doing effortlessly.
Agree completely except this. There is no way unknowns like Nyauchi and Masuku getting their test caps directly on boxing day. As is, we have been handing out too many test caps of late. If both Chatara and KJ are unfit, we are already in deep shit. Damage limitation means we go with Mpofu, Shingi and Tiripano and pray for the best. The prospect of handing a cap to Blessing Muzarabani is enticing but no, for the sam reason stated above.

By the way, anyone aware of the state of Carl Mumba? How is his recovery coming along? He would have been handy for that Boxing day test.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Mumba will be our for another 6 months I think

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm
That's pretty bad. What exactly was the injury? Is it going to affect his speed / action? Is it like the case of Chatara that we should be worried about his future?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:12 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm
That's pretty bad. What exactly was the injury? Is it going to affect his speed / action? Is it like the case of Chatara that we should be worried about his future?
I believe it was a knee injury he said on Twitter he’d be out for another 6-9 months ( I think that was a month or two ago )

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Mutombodzi is direct competition for Williams in my opinion. I think he does deserve to be in the squad. Tari and Burl have not had the best seasons. maybe they are tired but I would drop them for now just so that they know that you have to be at a high level to make the team. they have to have that hunger. the current senior players always walked into the national team even if they were terribly off form. that leaves room for complacency.good domestic performances must lead to a reward. this is critical for the system where people are being paid half salaries.

I would also reward Zhuwao a place in the Bangladesh tri series and I would add Mutizwa as Regis back up for the upcoming test.

Nyauchi and Masuku have played really well but that would be a huge risk to play them in the test. maybe for the Afghanistan series in Feb. My bowling squad in S.A. would be Chatara Jarvis Vitori Donald Cremer and Chisoro