Boxing Day: Waller, Williams out; Burl, Blessing, Chatara in?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Boxing Day: Waller, Williams out; Burl, Blessing, Chatara in?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://www.herald.co.zw/burl-in-test-squad/
Eddie Chikamhi Senior Sports Reporter

FORMER Zimbabwe Under-19 batsman Ryan Burl looks set to wrap up the year in style after he was lined up for a possible Test debut in the squad to face neighbours South Africa in the pioneering Test set for later this month.

The left hander, together with Zimbabwe Cricket Academy – Rising Stars – teammate Blessing Muzarabani, are set to be included in the squad to replace Malcom Waller and Sean Williams, who reportedly has been struggling with injury.

Paceman Tendai Chatara, who was overlooked for the Chevron’s last Test assignment against the West Indies recently, is also set to bounce back for the Boxing Day Test to add strength to the Zimbabwe seam department. Coach Heath Streak said he was pleased by the rookies making inroads into the national team after extending the invitation to Burl.

The 23-year old has seen significant rise ever since he made his One Day International debut at the beginning of the year against Afghanistan at home. Since then, he has featured on the Chevrons team sheet nine times as he was part of the side that also toured Scotland and then Sri Lanka in a historic tour.

Burl has had a busy year. He was also part of the ZC Academy team that was sent to England for training camps during year. Most recently, he was in United Arab Emirates with the Zimbabwe A side for a couple of limited overs matches.

“We are looking to have at least two changes to the side. Malcom Waller and Sean Williams are out and in comes Ryan Burl and Blessing. The selectors have considered a lot of things to come up with that decision. But it’s not like we have made drastic changes, it’s just those two. The choice of Burl is because he has shown a lot of promise and has been getting some runs in the domestic league,” said Streak.

The Chevrons are set to intensify their preparations before they leave for South Africa next Saturday. While most of the players have been playing domestic cricket, the quartet of Solomon Mire, Sikandar Raza, Waller and skipper Graeme Cremer has been out featuring in the Bangladesh Premier League T20 tournament.

Streak said he was excited by the prospects following the auspicious outing by most of his key players, who include Hamilton Masakadza, Brendan Taylor and Sikandar Raza in recent internationals.

“The guys have been scoring runs and our bowlers as well have been taking wickets in the domestic league. We had a camp here in Harare a week and half ago, with the players who were not playing in the Bangladesh Premier League and I am sure we are going to have another training camp.

“The team will leave for South Africa early and will have at least 10 days to wind up preparations under the South African conditions. We will train (for) three days and then play a three-day warm up game.

“We will have another three days of practise before the game,” said Streak.

CrimsonAvenger

Re: Boxing Day: Waller, Williams out; Burl, Blessing, Chatara in?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Paceman Tendai Chatara, who was overlooked for the Chevron’s last Test assignment against the West Indies recently, is also set to bounce back for the Boxing Day Test to add strength to the Zimbabwe seam department.
Good thing.
The 23-year old has seen significant rise ever since he made his One Day International debut at the beginning of the year against Afghanistan at home. Since then, he has featured on the Chevrons team sheet nine times as he was part of the side that also toured Scotland and then Sri Lanka in a historic tour.
What is he writing here? Clearly Burl's international career is a failure so far. But if it is the longer format domestic record as Streak refers to, he does have a good record, but is not in the form he was in last year. Not sure if it is a wise decision to include him, but who knows, he might have shaved and has focused back on his batting instead of his beard...'

I can understand Blessing's inclusion. Can he do better than Ngarava and Mumba? Basically Taibu's punt. Hope it works.
The selectors have considered a lot of things to come up with that decision.
It is funny when Streak says "the selectors". It is just him and Taibu right? Or has the panel been expanded?
We had a camp here in Harare a week and half ago, with the players who were not playing in the Bangladesh Premier League and I am sure we are going to have another training camp.
That probably explains the absence of Hamilton, Ervine and Chatara in one of those recent domestic games.

So, no Shingi again. Mire gets another go. Hope things work out...

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

If they play the stupid 8-3 again I’ll be very very upset , it doesn’t work on pace wickets !! Burl I have no problem with as he’s the future but there’s no room for him in the team at the moment , Chatara is a must he has to take the new ball with Jarvis if both are fit. They are the two best opening bowlers we have. Wouldn’t mind if Burl opened and mire dropped down the order to play a proper all rounder role. Who knows what Batman and robin are going to do
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think it’s oretty clear that Streak and Taibu don’t hold the Logan cup in very high regard and make their selections through other aspects.

Now I’m sure people are going to start throwing stats around like crazy but as I heard Mark Waugh say the other day when he was quizzed on how he selects sides, “if we just picked sides off stats sheets anyone could do this job”

Streak and Taibu obviously see potential in Burl & Blessing and have picked them despite other players having better stats, much like Musakanda was picked last season.

I will say though Mutombodzi is very unlucky not to be picked he’s had a great season
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Likely XI

Mire
Hami
Ervine
BT
Moor
Raza
Regis
Cremer
KJ
Mpofu
Chatara

Burl
Blessing
Chamu
Chinoyua

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Great to see Ryan Burl back with Blessing Muzarabani upcomming sensational fast bowler
owing to some performance in UK

The selection looks to be on the performances of domestic cricket particularly the overseas condition. Selection of both players from the Rising Stars indicates, that the selector has given more worth to the performances of Rising Stars tour of UK then less competitative Logan Cup

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Tiripano should be in the squad for me he’s 6th in the top run scorers charts averaging 63 and he’s also 3rd on the wicket takers list with 21 scalps

Mutombodzi is 2nd for runs and 4th for wickets he really is having a sensational Logan Cup

PSR

Post by PSR »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:24 am
Likely XI

Mire
Hami
Ervine
BT
Moor
Raza
Regis
Cremer
KJ
Mpofu
Chatara

Burl
Blessing
Chamu
Chinoyua
Most likely lineup..though I would swap Mpofu for Belssing maybe..because of the latter's performances with the bat in domestic cricket

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Looks like Chinouya is just a Ntini favorite who keeps making the squad. What has he got ahead of Tiripano? Yes, we all thought (at least I thought) Chinouya could be our Ambrose when he burst onto the scene but currently he is just a trundler with no domestic success too. If they don't fancy Shingi, why not Tiripano?

Mutombodzi on the other hand would make the ODI side I'm sure, and that is where he will be more effective, so fingers crossed...

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Sometimes you wonder if our selectors actually have set plans. In second test against West Indies were seriously exposed when Jarvis and Williams dropped out. Playing Chisoro and Moor changed the whole make up of the team. If we are really keen on selecting for the future it doesn't make sense to ignore Mutombodzi. Burl hasn't been doing well of late but gets a reward of being in the test squad. I wonder what kind of results we expect in such cases.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'