Your XI for Boxing Day

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Your XI for Boxing Day

Post by Andybligzz »

1. Masakdaza 2. Moor 3. Taylor 4. Ervine 5.Raza 6. Mire 7. Chakabva (wk)8.cremer(c) 9. Jarvis 10. Chatara 11 . Mpofu
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Hamilton with his initial observations of the pink ball experience and talking positive: https://www.newsday.co.zw/2017/12/well- ... masakadza/
Paarl — Zimbabwe will step into the unknown when they play a four-day day/night cricket Test against South Africa in Port Elizabeth from Boxing Day, but senior batsman Hamilton Masakadza insists the visitors will have enough to give the hosts a proper challenge.

The tourists have been getting used to playing with a pink ball under lights in a three-day game against a SA Invitational XI at Boland Park from Wednesday, with Masakadza stroking a patient 79 as the visitors were bowled put for 196 in the first innings.

The locals came out to support SA Invitation XI against Zimbabwe at Eurolux Boland Park, Paarl.

Besides spending valuable time in the middle in their only warm-up game ahead of the Test, Masakadza also batted through the period of sunset and when the lights took full effect on the first day.

The opening batsman said there was a slight difference, firstly between the red and pink ball and then when batting in the day and under lights.

Speaking during the dinner break on the second day in Paarl, Masakadza told Cricket365: “It doesn’t do as much as the red ball early on, it doesn’t swing as much, but it did do a little bit under lights.

“I thought it also stopped swinging much quicker than the red ball. There is a definite difference (between batting in the day and under lights). It is not to big but there is a difference in that period when the lights take effect.

“Just with the practices we’ve had and this game, it has definitely skidded on a bit more and done a bit more under lights that it did in the afternoon.

“It will definitely be a lot harder for the guy coming in. It will be easier for the batsman that is in to take care of that transition period than for someone that is just starting up.”

While the pink ball offers something more for the bowlers under lights, Masakadza insists they do have the attack to trouble the Proteas’ batting unit, which will include the returning AB de Villiers.

Seamer Kyle Jarvis, who returned to the Zimbabwe team earlier this year after playing for English county side Lancashire since 2013, could be the visitors’ most potent weapon.

The right-armer certainly made an impression on the first evening of the tour match when he nipped out both openers cheaply under lights.

Masakadza though says all the seamers, including uncapped paceman Blessing Muzarabani and the more experienced Chris Mpofu, have the potential to exploit the conditions if it is in their favour.

The 34-year-old Masakadza added: “Kyle has bowled quite well as have all the other seamers. Blessing got a few to go through, Chris also came on and bowled well. I think the guys generally do get a bit of movement and hit good areas.

“And obviously with our spinners, (Graeme) Cremer and (Sikandar) Raza, we have the bowlers to exploit the conditions.

“So even when the ball is not doing a bit, I think our spinners will come into it and when it offers something I think our seamers have got what it takes to make an impression.”

Zimbabwe’s coach Heath Streak spoke on Tuesday about the team playing “winning cricket”, not just trying to compete with the bigger teams.

Masakadza feels they are currently in a good space as a side after they beat Sri Lanka away in an one-day international series and came close to winning the one-off Test, while they drew there last Test at home against the West Indies even though they lost the series 1-0.

“I think of late we have been playing quite well, from the Sri Lanka tour to playing the West Indies at home, and we did draw our last Test so the team is in a good space,” Masakadza said.

“We are looking to play positive cricket and will try to take the game to the South Africans although different conditions, different team, but definitely looking to go out there and play positive cricket.”

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 pm
Mpofu may not be the most destructive bowler but he does serve a purpose in test cricket - he can keep things tight and limit runs from one end. Chatara, Jarvis, and Cremer typically go for a few so having someone who can limit runs the other end is useful.
Chatara has a career Test bowling econ of 2.5...I can't think of any bowler apart from Jadeja who has a lower econ rate. Jarvis is expensive and Cremer tends to be as well (most wrist spinners are).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

The theory that Chatara is a tear away quick who goes for plenty of runs is not true at all.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

If Chatara is fit and has the ability to bowl 15-20 overs in a day, he is the first bowler on the team sheets across formats.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Let me edit my comment to say that Jarvis and Cremer will go for runs, and I think Chatara will also.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Blessing Muzarabani should play. Its not about getting smashed and saying he is not ready for international level. Bowling to best batsman and troubling him, might gave him some confidence.He is must Sharper and quicker then current bowlers, his height will bring into effect in troubling batsman

Kagiso Rabada was smashed by Chris Gayle in t20 games, when he was early in his career,same goes with young Stuart Broad, who got smashed 6 sixes in an over, but their team management did'nt show negetive on them and made them warm in the bench, instead they threw them against strongest opponents and now they are among best bowlers in the world

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 am
If Chatara is fit and has the ability to bowl 15-20 overs in a day, he is the first bowler on the team sheets across formats.
So far in their careers, Chatara is overall the better seamer than Jarvis who has been poor in white ball cricket. In Tests I believe Jarvis is ahead, but KJ seems to have lost a lot of pace in his years in England.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

pariah

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:32 am
eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 pm
Mpofu may not be the most destructive bowler but he does serve a purpose in test cricket - he can keep things tight and limit runs from one end. Chatara, Jarvis, and Cremer typically go for a few so having someone who can limit runs the other end is useful.
Chatara has a career Test bowling econ of 2.5...I can't think of any bowler apart from Jadeja who has a lower econ rate. Jarvis is expensive and Cremer tends to be as well (most wrist spinners are).
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 am
Lovely to see guys taking turns to agree with me. :mrgreen:

There was a needlessly big argument recently with people refuting that overall Chatara is ahead of Jarvis. What a waste that was. :roll:

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Chamu
Hammy
Ervine
Taylor
Raza
Burl
Moor(wk)
cremer
jarvis
chatara
mpofu

Mire has become a passenger in the team and should be dropped. we dont need classic team mascots. We should also play four proper bowlers its a test match after all. The 8-3 is a pure waste and it wont get us anywhere as a team.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'