[Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Post by Googly »

What is problematic for us is the lack of continuity caused by that break of the rebel era. All other test nations have good experienced campaigners that can impart knowledge. We seem to lack that, so what do the younger guys draw from? Although we’ve got a lot of capped players I’m not sure what they offer as mentors. When you’re in an Aussie or SA squad you’re watching some fantastic players in the nets and at the other end. For us to get a world class youngster come through in our environment would be a miracle. Copying plays a major role in learning, especially the mind set bit in cricket. Our mindset is early capitulation. I don’t think Klusener and Ntini have always been around either. I had heard that their contracts only required them pre-game time, but I stand to be corrected on that. I’m surprised Klusener hasn’t copped more heat, Grant was the topic of much conversation on this forum when he was batting coach.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I can’t begin to guess how tough it must be losing most games we play, it must be totally demoralizing. I know when we started out in Test cricket, the aim was to try and take every test as deep as possible, if you’re not as skilled as your opponents that takes incredible mental fortitude and you need some freak to appear that leads the way. For us that was Flower and Houghton initially, and Goodwin when he appeared on the scene. Obviously no one gets used to losing, and the disappointment is there for all to see, but it takes sheer force of will to hang in there in a test match against superior opponents, and if you get it right they will sometimes crack or you’ll get the rub of the green. I’ve always thought our man was Hammy, but it hasn’t happened. Somehow the players have to turn their disappointments into iron resolve and grueling and smart preparation.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 am

Trust me Kriterion the Aussies don’t like the ball swinging or spinning
There there are 3 types of lateral movement, plus variation in bounce and pace. Swing (conventional and reverse), seam, and turn. I would hazard a guess seam is harder to play than swing because it occurs later and is more erratic.

Now the English and Aussies can't play spin. I think SA also cannot play spin, given how they fared in India. The Windies suck at playing spin as well. NZ are probably at best decent against it. The Asian sides play spin better, but they are all fairly susceptible to it as well.

The Indians can't play seam/swing for sure, and if the Aussies can't play it, that leaves the English and Kiwis as the only potential ones who can handle it.

My theory is, no one can handle movement of any sort. Even the greats from the past are most probably hyped up, they probably scored all their runs on flat tracks, and the bowlers took their wickets on minefields. Maybe Murali was the lone exception, but that guy also chucked pretty much every delivery he ever bowled (him bowling in a brace proves nothing).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

So who are the best players at playing on minefields or seaming wickets then? Anyone particularly gifted? I remember Damien Martyn toughing out a fantastic century in brutal conditions in Sri Lanka. I think he hit two boundaries the entire innings.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

eugene wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 am
So who are the best players at playing on minefields or seaming wickets then? Anyone particularly gifted? I remember Damien Martyn toughing out a fantastic century in brutal conditions in Sri Lanka. I think he hit two boundaries the entire innings.
Dean Elgar is great at surviving tough conditions,Steve smith has made runs in all conditions, Alistair Cook has survived all round the world and just proved his haters wrong AGAIN even though it’s a road .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 am
I don't know myself. Jaybro says the Aussies can't play swing. He's right in a sense. No one *can* play swing/seam/turn...everyone struggles on it. The question is who struggles the least.

I have long believed Kane Williamson is the most technically sound and complete batsman of the current generation. Ergo, I would guess KW is probably the finest player of swing/seam, and one of the best at playing the turning ball as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The English probably deal with swing and seam the best whilst South Africa and NZ do ok as well.

The Aussies like hard and fast pitches only Smith enjoys spinning decks ( or can handle them at least ) Shaun Marsh has had success in Sri Lanka.

None of our players like the ball seaming around as shown in our poor results in England since 2001
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Australian batsman were always the best in the world at adapting to different conditions, but since t20 cricket came to town our players no longer play much county cricket and don’t really care about defence.

Also since all our pitches lost their ‘character’ they all seam the same and our shield players don’t get exposed to a turning SCG or a Real Fast and bouncey WACA or a deterioting MCG
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

heard bt is on 35k a month. I'm sick... they need to do better

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm