[Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mr Twig

Re: [Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Post by Mr Twig »

Very similar day 1 for the SA v India Test. Kinda hope India fall in a heap on day 2 which would make Zim's performance look not so bad.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Not even having to bat under lights yesterday, currently 104/7.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

A bit of lower order slogging from Pandya salvaged some respectability for India, but their top order, especially Kohli, went missing.

Just proves that the Proteas have a formidable pace attack.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

India bowled out for 135. I was really disappointed in our performance as I felt we are a better side than that but I must say playing S.A. in their conditions is an absolute nightmare. Only England India and Australia have even a slight chance of winning a series there.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm
India bowled out for 135. I was really disappointed in our performance as I felt we are a better side than that but I must say playing S.A. in their conditions is an absolute nightmare. Only England India and Australia have even a slight chance of winning a series there.
India have never won a series in SA. They did get a 1-1 draw in 2010 or thereabouts. England won there recently...but I dunno if the Aussies have won there since 2006.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

India didn't fare much better than Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

India, and all their arrogance, sunk just as quickly as we did.
I can't stand Rohit Sharma. I love it when he gets out for ducks and low scores abroad. Just shows that he lacks the ability to negate the moving ball, unlike in India where he can bully bowlers.

The reason Virat is so highly regarded is because he has performed outside of India, the mark of a real batter. Rohit, largely speaking, hasn't. The blokes arrogance is intolerable.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 am

The reason Virat is so highly regarded is because he has performed outside of India, the mark of a real batter. Rohit, largely speaking, hasn't. The blokes arrogance is intolerable.
Virat apparently has done poorly in ICC knockout matches as far as limited overs goes.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

14 innings at an average just above 30 is very poor. And it was in the early twenties until this year's champions trophy when he hit 96* vs Bangladesh.

He does however have a very good 4th innings average in Tests. Some interesting stats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Most of these Indian players puff up their records playing Sri Lanka 25 times per year in India. Send them to SA, Australia, or England and they mostly struggle.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

It would have looked much worse if not for that Hardik Pandya counter-attack in the first innings. The Indian pace bowling department is probably at its best since the days of Srinath and Zaheer Khan. So, Getting 20 wickets was the only improvement over Zim's performance in my view.

Dhavan and Rohit Sharma aren't test players by any stretch of imagination. It's a disgrace. The Kohli-Shastri (basically the yes-man) brigade have become blinded by their preferred combo. Rahul and Rahane have significantly better overseas records (better than everyone else in the squad in fact) but got benched.

And Kohli himself hasn't done very well overseas, except for that one series in Australia. they are in for a yearlong pain unless they rethink their strategies and swallow the humble pie. Unfortunately, this is where Kumble would have added immense value. But that is water under the bridge now.