ZIM-BD-SL Tri Series 2018: Pre-series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: ZIM-BD-SL Tri Series 2018: Pre-series Discussion

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Waller is an enigma. But ultimately I think he should exclusively be a T20 slogger. He's just had so many chances and he's never got that average higher than 20. He's the Matsi of the 2010s - decent batsman, just never quite achieved his potential at international level.

It's a damn shame he didn't make an extra run in that game against NZ. He was suburb that day and deserved a century. Poorer batsman than him have ended their career with an ODI century... maybe he'll still get that chance. His best shot is to make a few 30s and 40s in Bangladesh, stay in the team, and then hope one of these games against Oman or Algeria or whoever is in the qualifying tournament is given ODI status.

As for Williams, we know about his attitude. If he's being a diva then he gets a spell on the sidelines. He's a good player though, he'll be back. His one shot at leaving Zim for county cricket was after the 2015 World Cup. If there was no interest then, there won't be now. He's not the T20 mercenary type of player, so if he wants to play cricket he knows it'll have to be for Zim. So I'm sure he'll be back soon enough.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I have been thinking about this squad a bit more and I must say Streak and Taibu have taken a huge gamble with our future here. If it works well and Murray and Mavuta do well then it's ok but it flops in the long run they are in big trouble.

The whole point of the next 9/10 games is to prepare for the qualifiers. So only genuine options for that tournament must be picked. Dropping Williams now does not make sense. We should instead be using these games to make him concentrate and get back into form. Bad attitude or not our whole cricketing future is on the line here. We desperately need that world cup money.

Same argument also goes for genuine options like Zhuwao up top. Chamu as well as guys like Mutombodzi. I personally don't see Murray cracking the team just yet unless he does something truly exceptional. Mavuta is unlikely going to play because of our captain. Is blessing a genuine option in the shorter format?

Now is not the time for unnecessary experiments. Let's fine tune the guys who we know can deliver then introduce the new guys after the qualifiers. This is a wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm
I have been thinking about this squad a bit more and I must say Streak and Taibu have taken a huge gamble with our future here. If it works well and Murray and Mavuta do well then it's ok but it flops in the long run they are in big trouble.

The whole point of the next 9/10 games is to prepare for the qualifiers. So only genuine options for that tournament must be picked. Dropping Williams now does not make sense. We should instead be using these games to make him concentrate and get back into form. Bad attitude or not our whole cricketing future is on the line here. We desperately need that world cup money.

Same argument also goes for genuine options like Zhuwao up top. Chamu as well as guys like Mutombodzi. I personally don't see Murray cracking the team just yet unless he does something truly exceptional. Mavuta is unlikely going to play because of our captain. Is blessing a genuine option in the shorter format?

Now is not the time for unnecessary experiments. Let's fine tune the guys who we know can deliver then introduce the new guys after the qualifiers. This is a wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned.
That's mostly how I feel about this too. But one thing we do not know for certain is the reason behind Williams not being there. And after all the efforts put into developing Musakanda, dropping him to get two new faces makes little sense. Not good timing for sure. If Murray and Mavuta do a Mire, then we are in good shape, but how likely is that?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The Lankan squad:

Angelo Mathews (capt), Upul Tharanga, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Kusal Perera, Thisara Perera, Asela Gunaratne, Niroshan Dickwella, Suranga Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep, Dushmantha Chameera, Shehan Madushanka, Akila Dananjaya, Lakshan Sandakan, Wanindu Hasaranga.

No Dhananjaya de Silva. Can't believe the foolishness of this unless he is injured. Chandimal and Mendis do strengthen the batting though.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm
The Lankan squad:

Angelo Mathews (capt), Upul Tharanga, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Kusal Perera, Thisara Perera, Asela Gunaratne, Niroshan Dickwella, Suranga Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep, Dushmantha Chameera, Shehan Madushanka, Akila Dananjaya, Lakshan Sandakan, Wanindu Hasaranga.

No Dhananjaya de Silva. Can't believe the foolishness of this unless he is injured. Chandimal and Mendis do strengthen the batting though.
Haha looks like all 3 teams decided to roll the dice...Williams, Dhananjaya, and Mosaddek all left out (although the BCB actually left him out to get some extra first class batting in before the Test series). I

And India left out Rahane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Just checked Dhananjaya's stats...his averages are as bad as Wallers, so on the face of it, not a bad exclusion. But he does have a solid Test average with 3 hundreds meaning he has the skills to bat.

Jayb

Post by Jayb »

I'm surprised the selectors didn't stick with Williams, one of the few players who has made decent scores against quality opposition.

Interested in what this means regarding the WC qualifiers. It would seem they have sent a message that he is not in their plans.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Just checked Dhananjaya's stats...his averages are as bad as Wallers, so on the face of it, not a bad exclusion. But he does have a solid Test average with 3 hundreds meaning he has the skills to bat.
Test 100 against a mighty Aussie attack at home coming in at 26/5 and another one to save the match for his team on a 5th day Delhi pitch and in polluted air against India - any other team would just pick the guy in any serious cricket match they play irrespective of format - especially SL should, who are struggling to get quality batsmen post MJ and Sanga.

I think he was moved around quite a bit in his brief ODI stint leading to no clarity of his position in the batting order and hence a lesser average as of now. Could be a solid no. 3 or 4.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Does anyone really think Williams is going to step-up with the bat in the high-pressure qualifiers? He is more likely to score a century in a dead-rubber once we are already eliminated from contention.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Test 100 against a mighty Aussie attack at home coming in at 26/5 and another one to save the match for his team on a 5th day Delhi pitch and in polluted air against India - any other team would just pick the guy in any serious cricket match they play irrespective of format - especially SL should, who are struggling to get quality batsmen post MJ and Sanga.

I think he was moved around quite a bit in his brief ODI stint leading to no clarity of his position in the batting order and hence a lesser average as of now. Could be a solid no. 3 or 4.
Yeah its astonishing how so many teams fail to recognize who their best players are and play them accordingly. Rahane should never have sat in favor of Rohit. Same thing with Renshaw in Australia and Haseeb Hameed in place of Stoneman or whoever is opening for England now.