ZIM-BD-SL Tri Series 2018: Pre-series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZIM-BD-SL Tri Series 2018: Pre-series Discussion

Post by sloandog »

The only difference is that Byrom wouldn't play due to his Somerset commitments.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Zim domestic cricket is at such a low standard at the moment I doubt Streak or Taibu take much notice of it. They’re picking their sides on what potential they can see in certain players and how they want to tactically play.

I posted this earlier but will do again when Mark Waugh was asked about his selections for the Aus Test side he said “We don’t just pick the guys with the highest average we pick on numerous things like form, character, potential etc. if we were to just pick the guy at the top of the average charts anyone could do this job”.

In saying this I’m not really sold on this squad but intrigued to see how Murray & Mavuta go if given a chance.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

From the squad this is the side I think is the strongest

Hami
Mire
Ervine
BT
Moor
Raza
Waller
Cremer
Chisoro
KJ
Larry

They might play 3 seamers and rely on Raza & Waller for spin but personally I’d rather the left arm spinners of Chisoro
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm
From the squad this is the side I think is the strongest

Hami
Mire
Ervine
BT
Moor
Raza
Waller
Cremer
Chisoro
KJ
Larry

They might play 3 seamers and rely on Raza & Waller for spin but personally I’d rather the left arm spinners of Chisoro
Pretty much ZIM's best XI atm. Its the 4 guys on the bench who might be ambitious picks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Yes that is pretty much it. Still feel the squad is a batsman light. Interesting to see that they will most probably abandon the 8-3. Not the biggest fan of it but it worked incredibly well in Sri Lanka. I guess without Williams or an all rounder of that kind of quality it doesn't make much sense.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 am
Unless Murray keeps you can’t pick him. The strongest team currently would be with BT keeping and with Williams batting and bowling, but Murray should be given a game up front to see how he goes.
Has he not been selected as a keeper though?

Despite the fact that we stand a lot to lose if we fail in the qualifiers, we have nothing to lose in every other series we play, and so we should be playing without that fear. Selecting players who have failed of recent but are being selected because they are older or supposedly have more experience does not benefit to the team in the long term.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 am
Yes that is pretty much it. Still feel the squad is a batsman light. Interesting to see that they will most probably abandon the 8-3. Not the biggest fan of it but it worked incredibly well in Sri Lanka. I guess without Williams or an all rounder of that kind of quality it doesn't make much sense.
Based on the past 2 years, Cremer offers just as much as Williams with the bat and more with the ball. Williams is not reliable with bat nor with ball.

Googly

Post by Googly »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 pm
Zim domestic cricket is at such a low standard at the moment I doubt Streak or Taibu take much notice of it. They’re picking their sides on what potential they can see in certain players and how they want to tactically play.

I posted this earlier but will do again when Mark Waugh was asked about his selections for the Aus Test side he said “We don’t just pick the guys with the highest average we pick on numerous things like form, character, potential etc. if we were to just pick the guy at the top of the average charts anyone could do this job”.

In saying this I’m not really sold on this squad but intrigued to see how Murray & Mavuta go if given a chance.
That’s our big problem. They have to ignore what’s happening at franchise level because it’s so diabolical. Most of the problem is that there’s no continuity. How on Earth is it possible to not have weekly games or not to pay players after we’ve received all this money? We have to change this administration.
Murray’s inclusion means he will keep in the games he plays but he doesn’t currently offer enough with the bat. I’m wondering how many games he will play, and does it mean that Taylor has indicated that he wants to concentrate on batting? I doubt they could pick Murray and Mavuta in the same game.
Will Waller bowl? Musakanda may well feel aggrieved at his omission because he’s done fairly well and has a lot of potential, more so long term than Waller, particularly if he doesn’t bowl.
There’s still no light being shed on Williams’ omission, in my view it was an error not picking him, it would appear that there are disciplinary issues. There’s no doubting his ability when he’s in the right space.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

the ZIM team should have arrived in Dhaka by now.

Raza had tweeted they were "en route" about 48 hours ago. Apparently the ZIM squad came in 4 seperate batches. They must have really had some ticketing issues. Good thing Emirates has 3 flights to Dhaka every day.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

[/quote]
Based on the past 2 years, Cremer offers just as much as Williams with the bat and more with the ball. Williams is not reliable with bat nor with ball.
[/quote]

Look up his bowling stats from last year , if you rate him or you don’t rate him it doesn’t really matter he took the 2nd most wickets at a good economy rate. Stats don’t lie , more than reliable with the ball, yes his batting has dropped off though.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!