[Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 1 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 1 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by maehara »

Tunes in just in time to see Muzarabani bowl 4 no-balls in an over.
Tunes back out again.

(And for once the stream's easy to access and bloody good quality. Shame it's for a nightmare of a game...)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Pretty sad choice for MoM. Shakib was gifted his first two wickets out of his 3 and the 3rd was inconsequential. For the brilliant bowling during the phase when Taylor and Raza were batting, it should have gone to Mustafizur Rahman who killed any possibility of a Zim recovery, or could have gone for the ever so reliable Tamim Iqbal. I sometimes feel BCB just takes his performances for granted.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Why didn’t Cremer put himself on earlier? Tari and Williams should definitely be there. I’m not sure how Mavuta is going in the nets but maybe he should get a start ahead of Blessing?

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

That was a real men against boys match. Rubel and mustifigur looked sublime in parts and the way the bangla openers knocked our bowlers around.....:(
Couple of Jarvis balls reared up but no control in any part of the innings
Lack of practice match definetly hurt us

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

What an embarrassing loss ..now Williams being dropped seems more stupid ..on this tour not more than 2 fast bowlers are required ..Williams would have done so well as a spinner and he can definitely bat better than chatara or muzarbani. Don't know why the management choose to change the winning combination of srilanka

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm
Pretty sad choice for MoM. Shakib was gifted his first two wickets out of his 3 and the 3rd was inconsequential. For the brilliant bowling during the phase when Taylor and Raza were batting, it should have gone to Mustafizur Rahman who killed any possibility of a Zim recovery, or could have gone for the ever so reliable Tamim Iqbal. I sometimes feel BCB just takes his performances for granted.
Thats what I meant in the XIs thread when I expressed some surprise at everyone naming Shakib. Indian and Pakistani fans its expected...50 years from now they will still list Shakib as the only BD player they know or is a decent cricketer.

Personally, I find Shakib to be on the least appealing in terms of his watchability as he has a clumsy batting technique and his round arm bowling action bores me. I find Tamim and Mushy to be VASTLY more watchable with the bat and (Mominul and Mosaddek remain my current favorites) love watching the Taijul and Miraz for their classical finger-spin actions (Fizz has a beautiful action for a seamer).

Having said all that, Shakib is a unique competitor and no one in Bangladesh has been able to match his ability to make impacts at clutch moments. When you look at all the watershed moments, it was Shakib who delivered at the climactic phases. The 2010 series vs NZ which was our first ODI series win, he delivered with both bat and ball at several key moments throughout the series. The Test wins against ENG and AUS also it was Shakib who put nails in the coffin by getting Stokes wicket when he looked like he might win the game for the Poms and he had a 10-fer vs Australia and also took out Smith and Warner when they looked like winning the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

A sorry performance from Zimbabwe, although Bangladesh at home must surely be on the best ODI units out there now. Only Australia, South Africa, and India would go in as favourites against them now in Bangladesh.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Shakib crediting left arm spin for the win is just making me hate this Williams exclusion, even Chisoro or something.

But this is legit what happens when you've only been in the country 2.5days after landing. You just can't expect to win games, they still would be feeling a tad weird and in the net sessions would have been feeling crap for at least a day. Then boom you have to play against the home team and they do unexpected stuff.

Really have to blame the admin for this whether it be selection or the horror stuff up with the flights. It's sad because the boys are good enough to beat these teams. Lanka playing 13 ODIs since that series and us playing 0 is not going to be good, especially with them having to fight India.

"Bad Sri-Lankan team" - is such a joke. Its pretty much the same squad as now, Sri Lanka are just a confidence and momentum side that's why they can be absolutely abysmal then still have crazy performances. Only improvement in their side since then is their pace bowling to be totally honest.

Lets hope we can post 250 or knock em over for about that, dickwella and gunathilaka might prove a task...

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 am
Well, I've definitely triggered quite a few people here.

Firstly, Waller has failed to take his chance.

Hammy on the other hand, I am not asking him to be dropped completely. I just feel a man with more than 178 games under his belt should be averaging better, and performing better, particularly when playing teams much closer in us to rank. Perhaps not playing in all three formats would be better for him. I love his loyalty. I agree the experience is valuable, but experience is valuable if you make it count.
He did all that and more to set up the series win against the Lankans. And did that again in the test series against the Windies.
If he was doing it on a more consistent basis I would think differently, but at his age and experience, maybe I just have a high standard.

Anyway, so it seems like the basics are letting us down. Poor shot selection. No feet movement. Watching the ball when we are running. Bowling 4 no balls in an over. It seems like a lot of the same issues.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

strikerlube wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm

"Bad Sri-Lankan team" - is such a joke. Its pretty much the same squad as now, Sri Lanka are just a confidence and momentum side that's why they can be absolutely abysmal then still have crazy performances. Only improvement in their side since then is their pace bowling to be totally honest.

Lets hope we can post 250 or knock em over for about that, dickwella and gunathilaka might prove a task...
Dont know why ZCF is hyping this SL pace attack. Its the same attack that has been tonked for the past few years. Two spells on seaming surfaces in India doesnt mean much. When the ball isnt moving, Rohit has smacked the crap out of the same seam attack. On these Mirpur pitches, this Lankan seam attack will be dismissed like Jarvis, Chatara, and Blessing were.

SL spinners are the bigger threat especially since they have 2 wrist spinners, which are invaluable in LOI cricket these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)