[Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 2 | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 2 | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka

Post by Andybligzz »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 am
Watched the entire match but decided to stay off the forum so I could enjoy it, looking back at the comments now Im glad I did ! So many negative comments from certain people Im not sure if they really see things in that way or if they're trying to push their agendas ??

I was confident throughout the whole match and actually thought our bowling unit did really well and was surprised to see so many negative comments about KJ, Cremer, Blessing and Malcolm. I think people forget it was a 290-300 pitch you're going to have a few guys go for over 6 an over especially if they're bowling in the Powerplays.

I also thought Cremer handled his bowling changes really well ( in contrast to what most the comments indicated ).

He kept Blessing away from Kusal in the PP

He didn't bowl anyone out early to give himself options at the end

He got Waller to bowl a few sneaky ones to give himself flexibility at the end

He resisted bringing back Chatara early to save him for the end which turned out to be a winning play.

Was brave enough to bowl his spinners in the last 10

Found it funny how people were hammering KJ even suggesting he should be dropped after 2 games :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think are forgetting we have zero seam bowling depth it's not like he's keeping out a Kagiso Rabada or something. People also seem to forget the pain of watching Panayangara gor for 12 an over in the death overs or watching Mpofu and tiripano got wicketless match after match lol. KJ got 2 important wickets yes he did go for a few runs but he bowled 5 overs in the PP against Kusal who was going @ a strike rate of 200 !!!!

The comments about Ervine n :lol: :lol: ot being a good No.3 amused me the most :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x un-beaten match winning hundreds and a 90 odd in the tie against WI batting @3. but yeah I guess it doesn't suit him lol. He's clearly out of form but it's foolish to say 3 doesn't suit him.
Couldn’t agree with you more man , I saw some
Of the comments early on and it put me off being on the forum. I know we are a frustrating side but gosh there’s so much talent everywhere . Always expect pain when watching zim and cherish the good moments because they are so great. The Jarvis and Craig talk is nonsense !!
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I honestly can’t see any difference between Jarvis’ run up from 2013 to now, he’s definitely lost a yard of pace but he’s 5 years older now.

Ervine has always been a shaky starter all this talk that he has a weakness against spin or now he can’t face a new ball and he’s a slow scorer, you could be forgiven to think we were talking about Mpofu lol

His form is a worry at the moment but I’m sure he will come good.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Ervine is class. Taylor is class. Raza is proving that he's right up there with them. Hamilton should he keep up this form through to the end of Qualifiers will make a case for being up there with those 3 as well.

Ervine will come good and so will Taylor. The only question is will it be at the right time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

No need to question Ervine's place in the team. He needs to be there. But with the qualifiers coming up, we need to ensure he comes out of this rut by probably trying to give him a more manageable match situation. if we keep losing him at one drop, we might have a guy low in confidence come the qualifiers. He can get back to 3 in ODIs once he finds his form back. 4 or 5 looks ideal for now.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Hammy is pure class and the rock of the team. Without the solid foundation we would have not made 290. Much credit should go to him.

Don't really know if we want to have untouchables in the team again. If a player is out of form, it just that he is out of form. Ervine has been terrible.

Jarvis has an average in the mid 40s hardly the stuff of legends don't see the need to compare him with Rabada.
Last edited by tawac on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think what Afghanistan is to us is what we are to Sri Lanka right now. They should have never lost this match and I'm waiting to see how they do against Bangladesh to see whether we have improved or Sri Lanka is just rubbish now. This is a team which has lost 15 out of the last 16 ODIs or something like that.

I think where people get it wrong is that most of us are not calling for Ervine to be dropped. I think he is in our top 3 batsmen. I just honestly don't think 3 suits him. I mean if you were watching the game you even heard AC talking about that weakness of his and within 5 minutes he was gone. It's something we cant keep ignoring. When he was batting at 4 in Sri Lanka he did very well. Maybe BT coming back complicates things but something needs to be worked out. It's like with Williams. As much as he is out of form I still want him in the team because I know he will come good. In fact I would swap PJ and Waller for Williams and Tari then I think we would have our strongest team.

As for Jarvis he is also a good player but he is not what we were expecting. You can't hide from that truth. Let's look at it this way. Mupariwa was dropped for being too slow yet he has an average of under 30 and 57 wickets in 40 games. Jarvis is bowling around the same pace. Now I'm talking about limited overs cricket here and in that format I don't see much of a difference.

Panyangara has a very similar ODI record to Jarvis but some people here said he was not good enough. The funny part I even pointed out that Panyangara and Chatara had some of the best economy rates in the first 10 overs in the world but that was ignored. At the last world cup they were the tightest in the first 10 out of everybody in the group stages and we played some big teams. So for me personally saying Jarvis bowled 5 in the power play is not an excuse. Let's not use different yardsticks for the players

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I'm sorry, but this was the first time I watched Jarvis bowl with the white ball after his comeback to Zim, and it is obvious that he has not improved as a limited overs bowler--which is probably not surprising considering the fact that Lancashire didn't use him much in List A or T20s. It does not seem as if he has added any variety to his bowling, and while he hasn't lost the shape and seam which made him such a great asset in FC/Test cricket, he's lost about 10 kph of pace.

Is there any viable explanation for this loss of pace? I don't seem to recall any serious injuries in his time in England, but I confess I didn't monitor his health closely; but he had some fitness/injury problems since he came back to Zim. Does anyone know what that was about? I'm not yet resigned to the fact that Jarvis will from here on always bowl in the 122-127 kph range, I mean the guy is 28 and you normally don't regress from medium pace to military medium in your mid-twenties without a reason (or Jimmy Anderson would now struggle to reach 110 kph). I'd like to know what the issue is because I'm sure there is one. Can anyone who has watched him bowl for Lancs (sloadog?) comment on how he looked in the last couple of seasons?
Last edited by foreignfield on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

tawac wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 am
Hammy is pure class and the rock of the team. Without the solid foundation we would have not made 290. Much credit should go to him.

Don't really know if we want to have untouchables in the team again. If a player is out of form, it just that he is out of form. Ervine has been terrible.

Jarvis has an average in the mid 40s hardly the stuff of legends don't see the need to compare him with Rabada.
No one was comparing him to rabada , simply saying there is no rabada waiting in the wings and Jarvis is the best we have at the moment .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 am

No one was comparing him to rabada , simply saying there is no rabada waiting in the wings and Jarvis is the best we have at the moment .
Chatara is the best seamer we have.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

tawac wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 am

Chatara is the best seamer we have.
In Odis yes , tests no .what I was saying is that there’s no one screaming the door down to come in for Jarvis . Not having a argument with you just pointing out what was said , no one thinks Jarvis is at rabadas level .not to many bowlers in the world come close to rabada, having jarvis in that bracket is insane.