[Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 2 | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 2 | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm
I remember to this day a spell he bowled at Jaques Kallis in 2009 in SA, and he bowled a ball at 148Kph, and genuinely hurried Kallis with his pace and bounce
I recall a rumour he hit 147 in juniors, but I am sceptical??
What game did he play against Kallis in 2009??
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Conant wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am
jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 am

No one was comparing him to rabada , simply saying there is no rabada waiting in the wings and Jarvis is the best we have at the moment .

Good to see some people bother to actually read posts properly whilst others just breeze through before making fools of themselves.

The comparison of KJ to Tinashe is fair as they both have very similar returns in all formats, if KJ is still going at 6 an over and taking 1 wicket per match after 65 ODI’s then it’s fair to say he was a rubbish ODI bowler.

But for goodness sakes he’s bowled 13 overs since his return and you’re already writing him off ??

Again I’ll ask who is he keeping out that’s so special ??

And btw Mupariwa was unfairly dropped back in his prime but once he returned in the World Cup it was clear he wasn’t up to international cricket anymore.
I will say is again: Together with Shingi Masakadza, those two were already terrible in ODI cricket wayyyy.... before Kyle left for England.
Well cmon Conant who is so deserving of a spot that KJ is unfairly holding out now ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm
I recall a rumour he hit 147 in juniors, but I am sceptical??
What game did he play against Kallis in 2009??
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1343 ... a-2009-10/ This game.

Yea well, i can see an obvious, clear deficiency with his bowling action since being at lancashire.
In years gone by, the reason get gained more pace was because he ran through the crease and exploded. Now, if you watch, he runs in lovely and with an ease but then completely stops at the wicket, moves his arms quickly and delivers the ball, This is amplified by the fact the he no longer follows through the crease. Still easily one of our best bowlers

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm
Yea well, i can see an obvious, clear deficiency with his bowling action since being at lancashire.
In years gone by, the reason get gained more pace was because he ran through the crease and exploded. Now, if you watch, he runs in lovely and with an ease but then completely stops at the wicket, moves his arms quickly and delivers the ball, This is amplified by the fact the he no longer follows through the crease. Still easily one of our best bowlers
Just looked up some short footage from 2012 and I see what you mean--although your video avatar also demonstrates the point :) .

So considering that he had that stress fracture would that be a case of consciously (or unconsciously) lessening the burden on his back to ensure the longevity of his career?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Maybe we were watching different matches with different speed-guns. We never had the bowling speeds for home matches then, and yes I seem to remember that his pace was lower than expected when we toured NZ (which I didn't watch due to the time difference), but what I think I remember very well is the Test series in the Carribean where he bowled with Chatara: Chatara was operating around the 130 mark with the odd really quick ball (138-140), and Jarvis was definitely quicker on average: I'd say a typical over would have been 133, 131, 135, 129, 136, 134.
Chatara hit 144 in the Bangladesh series in 2014. I do remember everyone talking about KJ hitting 148 way back when, but I dont ever remember him ever bowling 140 in any other match (most ZIM matches back then didnt have speed guns).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I think with Jarvis, it was more his reputation before he'd even played an ODI.

The 2008 Under 19 CWC was, according to a certain source, when he was genuinely raw and quick.
The game in South Africa in 2009 I swear to god I was so impressed and excited. I remember commenting on the forum, saying how we'd found the next quickest bowler since Blignaut.

I will agree, though, that since he has that stress fracture he was quite literally never as quick. Always had a sharpish 85/86mph delivery in him, but he was generally around 130-135kph max.

A real shame really. He's clearly suited to longer format cricket, much like Keegan Meth was.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

I see both sides of the Jarvis in ODI's debate, he isn't a great white ball bowler but most of the alternatives aren't really any better. Chatara is the best ODI paceman in Zimbabwe, that much is sure. But other than that, there isn't much to write home about. Mpofu is past it, Tiripano is barely medium-fast, and the promising younger guys like Murzarabani and Ngarava aren't ready yet
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Zero76 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 am
I see both sides of the Jarvis in ODI's debate, he isn't a great white ball bowler but most of the alternatives aren't really any better. Chatara is the best ODI paceman in Zimbabwe, that much is sure. But other than that, there isn't much to write home about. Mpofu is past it, Tiripano is barely medium-fast, and the promising younger guys like Murzarabani and Ngarava aren't ready yet
Bingo !!!!!!!
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am
Zero76 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 am
Bingo !!!!!!!
Jarvis' greatest plus over the other guys who bowl his pace (Tiripano, Chinouya, the elder Muzarabani etc.) is that he gets some movement. But he doesn't help his or anyone else's cause if he continues to bowl length or short outside off at 125 kph. I was hoping he had turned into a more canny bowler at Lancs, hence my disappointment. But yes, it is very early days in his ODI comeback.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm
Conant wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

In Odis yes , tests no .what I was saying is that there’s no one screaming the door down to come in for Jarvis . Not having a argument with you just pointing out what was said , no one thinks Jarvis is at rabadas level .not to many bowlers in the world come close to rabada, having jarvis in that bracket is insane.
Hahahah.. people will say anything to back their choices. You have quickly discovered to your credit that Chatara is your best ODI fast bowler, how have you ascertained that Chatara is not the best Test bowler we have?
This is ridiculous ! Because he hadn’t played lately maybe that’s why , Jarvis has been our best test bowler of late because he has played , if Chatara plays and takes wickets and out bowls Jarvis then my argument will change. I think they are both good bowlers and I have wanted Chatara to take the new ball with Jarvis in the longer format for ages. If you had read my early posts in other discussion I have stated this passionately . I don’t get why you think it’s befecause of favourites ! Chatara is one of my favourite zim cricketers and I’m not saying he’s not a good bowler in the longer format , just Jarvis has played lately and done very well. Christ
So if Chatara hasn't played lately, how do you know he is the best ODI seamer we have? Over the course of the one ODI match he played and outbowled Jarvis? This doesn't make sense to me. Does Ngidi become better than Rabada becoz he got 6 and Rabada 3?

You have contradicted yourself. But, don't worry about it. :)