West Indies U-19 spark spirit-of-cricket debate...again

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

West Indies U-19 spark spirit-of-cricket debate...again

Post by eugene »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -dismissal
West Indies have once again ignited the spirit-of-cricket debate at the Under-19 World Cup, when they appealed against South Africa opener Jiveshan Pillay for obstructing the field in their Group A fixture in Mount Maunganui.

Emmanuel Stewart, the West Indies captain and wicketkeeper, made the appeal after Pillay picked up the ball close to off stump, even though it was stationary after rolling off an inside edge. The third umpire Ranmore Martinesz was called in and the decision went in West Indies' favour after a long wait and a number of replays. The incident occurred in the 17th over of South Africa's innings, when they were 77 for 2.

Once the decision was referred to the TV umpire, it was going to be difficult to give the batsman not out unless Stewart and West Indies withdrew the appeal. Law 37.4, which deals with 'returning the ball to a fielder', states: "Either batsman is out obstructing the field if, at any time while the ball is in play and, without the consent of a fielder, he/she uses the bat or any part of his/her person to return the ball to any fielder."

South Africa Under-19 coach Laurence Mahatlane was measured in his reaction during the innings break. "Our take is very simple: we play to the laws of the game and it's part of the laws," he said. "It's happened and hopefully we'll learn for a long time from it."

West Indies' actions in this game are likely to be debated widely, as they were at the 2016 World Cup when their bowler Keemo Paul effected a mankad to dismiss Zimbabwe's last wicket - Richard Ngarava - to win a must-win group game. They eventually went on to win the tournament. West Indies were in a must-win position against South Africa in this game too, having lost their tournament opener against New Zealand.

In 2016, former West Indies fast bowler Ian Bishop had defended the U-19 side against criticism for the mankad, but he was less supportive of this obstructing-the-field dismissal.

"This is an unfortunate issue," Bishop, one of the commentators at the game, told Fox Sports. "The batsman isn't trying to gain an advantage. He is not trying to being unfair. The umpires have done what they need to do. The ball has stopped. It's not threatening the stumps. I don't really necessarily feel as if that's a good law. It could take a re-look.

"The batsman is not trying to gain an unfair advantage. All he is trying to do is help out the fielding team. I would have to have a deeper look at myself if I was the fielding captain. Can I use some discretion here for the sake of the game and whatever the spirit of the game means? I wouldn't have gone that way. He's obviously a bright kid and he understands the letter of the law. On this occasion it's slightly different for me compared to the last World Cup."
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Conant

Re: West Indies U-19 spark spirit-of-cricket debate...again

Post by Conant »

This is incredible. Those Windies boys have some nerve.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

It's poor to say the least. And the coaches clearly condone it

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Mankad I agree with but this was a bit rich.

However if they include this in the rules you need to expect it
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

At the end of the day they need to review some of the laws, this stuff about it being a gentleman’s game is such a load of shite. You just have to hear what some of these players say to each other to understand that, then everyone is up in arms when something like this happens. The ridiculousness of swearing at a player for an hour and telling him all about his Mum and then saying no I wouldn’t do something underhanded like that because I’m a gentleman is stupid. Just review all the laws that require gentlemanly conduct and make them clear and then get on with it.
I always wonder at cricket when a quick spends 10 overs trying to hit a batsman in the head and then is the first to run over and see if he’s ok when he succeeds, same difference.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And zero apology when you get pole axed by a shot to the nuts, in fact the whole stadium laughs, strange species we are.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I was fine with Mankad, but this is pretty cheap. Agree with googly that the rules need to be looked at to take the element of sportsmanship out of it.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Rules definitely need to be looked at. This was utter dross. Ball was completely dead and if anything, the batsman was helping the West Indies.

Still can't forgive them for what they did to Zim, but this was just crap.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t know if any of you saw Gerald Coetzee in this game? This guy is one helluva player, he’s going to become one of the great T20 all rounders in world cricket.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:44 am
I don’t know if any of you saw Gerald Coetzee in this game? This guy is one helluva player, he’s going to become one of the great T20 all rounders in world cricket.
Is he fa fa fa fa FAST!?