Where Do You See Zimbabwean Cricket In 5 years ??

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Where Do You See Zimbabwean Cricket In 5 years ??

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zim needs to try and retain every white junior they can......In 2010, they are still the backbone of the team. They have the culture and experience.

White zimbabwean cricketing is very patriarchal.

Everyones related to another in some way.

Ervines, Flowers,Streaks, Whittals etc etc.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Mike

Post by Mike »

shumbat wrote:Politics aside, 5 years time Zim will be competitive in Test Cricket, i think Zimbabweans are more talented in cricket than soccer, since 1980, we have had only 3 players in the English Premier league, but in County cricket, you name them. Its very encouraging that there is a lot of cricket playing schools now in Zim, and with record crowds in the domestic T20, things will only get better, there are lots of cricket lovers, its up to the team to perform. Hopefully the team will be well intergrated, like our rugby squad which is picked on merit.
I know this might sound mean, but seriously you need a reality check. I think everyone on here is really hyped up that Zimbabwe cricket is on the road to recovery and so you should be, but test cricket is a completely different ball game. One bad session in Test Cricket is catastrophic to the game situation, just look at Bangladesh. Twenty20 cricket and ODIs bring teams a lot closer (especially Twenty20) so you need to remember that. How many shock results have there been in one day/ Twenty20 cricket compared to test cricket? I can remember Ireland beating Pakistan WC 2007, Holland beating England T20 2009, Kenya beating Sri Lanka WC 2003 etc. Test Cricket. I can't remember any at the top of my head tbh ... :(

When you say that Zimbabwe cricket has a lot of names in county cricket, your right. But again, without being mean, how many of those players (that will be eligible to play for Zimbabwe cricket) are at the top of the averages every season? Exactly ...
Its not like when South Africa were banned from international cricket and you had Barry Richards murdering attacks in county cricket or others :(. Just look at Greg Lamb. Yeah, he did bowl very well, but his batting was hopeless :(. I don't know how Sean Ervine would cope, but I think he could cope a lot better tbh.

I do hope I'm wrong. I really am. But I think Zimbabwe cricket should continue to try and build on depth in 5 years time. Its no use having just one competitive team. You need a squad of players, plus men that are pushing to be in that squad to succeed at test cricket.

In 5 years time? I think Zimbabwe, if they are granted test cricket back, will be playing Bangladesh every other week haha

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Mike wrote:how many of those players (that will be eligible to play for Zimbabwe cricket) are at the top of the averages every season? Exactly ...
Sean Ervine and Murray Goodwin spring tomind,and Anthony Ireland had a very good year with the ball in 2009

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Mike wrote:how many of those players (that will be eligible to play for Zimbabwe cricket) are at the top of the averages every season? Exactly ...
Sean Ervine and Murray Goodwin spring tomind,and Anthony Ireland had a very good year with the ball in 2009
Ireland barely held his place and (this couldve been injury) was dropped once or twice.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
AND,
Ervine had a good 2009...but he isnt in the top averages.
2008 he struggled.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

I think the slump would have been over . There are a lot of players that are overseas, in addition to the one that are there . Add the ones that will be coming through , and we have a competitive local league that will be a huge supply of players . Cracking into the national side will no longer be easy . Gone will be the days when 10 school boys recive a Zim cap in the space of one year

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Flower power wrote:I think the slump would have been over . There are a lot of players that are overseas, in addition to the one that are there . Add the ones that will be coming through , and we have a competitive local league that will be a huge supply of players . Cracking into the national side will no longer be easy . Gone will be the days when 10 school boys recive a Zim cap in the space of one year
Good point. But i'm really excited to see that there's a nice mix of white and black cricketers coming through the school ranks :)

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

I think colour has blinded the mentality of Zim people . All i would love to see is a very good Zim side that can even be all white or black . Zimbos are zimbos .
Its great though to have a different mix

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Why is it great?

i thought race doesnt matter?

At least thats what you told me when i was asked what Cremers background was....

Im not having a go at you or anyone else, BUT The reason i mention this...is this obsession to get black players in the team is really pulling the national team down.

Throughout the 2000s we saw racial quotas that was putting 2 or 3 undeserving (at the time) players in the team.

This in part led to the rebellion.

Rebellion then led to the destruction of the team.

And, i fear its still going on, judging by recent selections.

Basically if the team is all white or all bruthas it shouldnt matter as long as the right person for the job is there, earnt on merit.

My hunch is that if there is a player who is white fighting for a place a against a black player...the player who is black has a better chance because of his race, even that is wrong.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.