The Official Bowling Speed Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The Official Bowling Speed Thread

Post by sloandog »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am
I saw that Jarvis hit 136 somwwhere today, so he still has a bit of pace left when he bends his back. And having seen him bowl his cutters very effectively today I will take back my previous assessment that he hasn't developed his bowling at all. Used the conditions very well.
137Kph (85mph) is what he touched today. Good to see actually, as I thought he was now well and truly away from hitting that speed. If he could sustain that speed and still move the ball the way he does, he'd be an even more rounded fast bowler.
But yea, I guess county cricket can do that to out and out quicks. The wickets negate and discourage bowlers of real pace to bend their backs, as the wicket will do it for them at half the speed. Something which Steven Finn has been complaining about for some time.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am
foreignfield wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am
I saw that Jarvis hit 136 somwwhere today, so he still has a bit of pace left when he bends his back. And having seen him bowl his cutters very effectively today I will take back my previous assessment that he hasn't developed his bowling at all. Used the conditions very well.
137Kph (85mph) is what he touched today. Good to see actually, as I thought he was now well and truly away from hitting that speed. If he could sustain that speed and still move the ball the way he does, he'd be an even more rounded fast bowler.
But yea, I guess county cricket can do that to out and out quicks. The wickets negate and discourage bowlers of real pace to bend their backs, as the wicket will do it for them at half the speed. Something which Steven Finn has been complaining about for some time.
So thats why England tend to produce fast mediums like Anderson, Broad, Hoggard more often than Australia or South Africa. And also why the out and out quick guys like Finn, Wood, etc aren't necessarily their best bowler.s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

When I first saw Steven Finn in the 2010-11 Ashes I thought he had the potential to be one of Englands greatest bowlers ever. Sadly for various reasons he has never kicked on quite like people hoped. The pace unfriendly nature of County Cricket is part of the reason for his decline, but injury and inconsistency have also played a part. Finn is still young enough to turn things around, but he is at risk of becoming yet another story of what might have been.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder