[Match Thread] U19 WC Plate C'Ship: Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] U19 WC Plate C'Ship: Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 am
Have you got a final tally of how they did? That was pretty sharp of RS management to get these games, could not have been easy because they generally have full schedules.
Was going to say similar, however inbetween these big games they played some really strong club sides.

When I watched the RS against Dukinfield in the Greater Manchester Premier League, I was really impressed. They're a good side are Dukinfield (our very own Ljreiley plays for them) with some really good batters and a couple of good quick bowlers, as well as a solid Sri Lankan Pro. The RS lads really showed why they're an international academy side. Mavuta imparticular showed strong qualities as a skipper and bowled really well, perhaps a little flat, but made it look easy.

NickG

Post by NickG »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 am
Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 am
Have you got a final tally of how they did? That was pretty sharp of RS management to get these games, could not have been easy because they generally have full schedules.
Was going to say similar, however inbetween these big games they played some really strong club sides.

When I watched the RS against Dukinfield in the Greater Manchester Premier League, I was really impressed. They're a good side are Dukinfield (our very own Ljreiley plays for them) with some really good batters and a couple of good quick bowlers, as well as a solid Sri Lankan Pro. The RS lads really showed why they're an international academy side. Mavuta imparticular showed strong qualities as a skipper and bowled really well, perhaps a little flat, but made it look easy.
The fixtures I mentioned were the strongest opposition and they beat Surrey and drew with Derbyshire. There were also games against Lancashire and Sussex that were cancelled due to the weather. What's also important to mention - and backing up sloandog - is that any ECB level club side would form a very good level opposition, especially as most of them fielded 'guest' players eg overseas players from other clubs etc.

There has also been a lot of nonsense written about playing pub teams and poor opposition. This was only the case in probably 2 or 3 games out of 48. The RS also played in a midweek t20 league, which featured the Asian community in Manchester. I saw some of these games and the standard was mostly very good, with most teams having either ex-first class or club professionals playing for them.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok fair enough, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a waste if you don’t have enough decent players. I can’t find the list of guys going this year. They would be better off beefing the side up with a couple of guys from the last intake and perhaps a couple of younger franchise guys. Would it be wrong to send someone like Jongwe?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Ok fair enough, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a waste if you don’t have enough decent players.
They really need to choose the correct players, don't they. There was a couple of lads in there who looked out of place when I watched. The young Asian opening batter looked very average.
I can’t find the list of guys going this year. They would be better off beefing the side up with a couple of guys from the last intake and perhaps a couple of younger franchise guys. Would it be wrong to send someone like Jongwe?
I agree with all of that. Jongwe could do with the exposure for sure. Get Liam Roache, Shumba, Wez (Perhaps Greg Dollar?) and certainly (if available) Harrison. Still struggling to come to terms with the amount of revs he put on the ball. Those three boundaries which were hot off his bowling dipped and drifted really lovely, perhaps just a little too full. One to watch for sure!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

It would make sense to retain guys for 3 years max I think then you leave. I would say Mavuta Blessing Burl Mumba and Tari have graduated and shouldnt go back. I would still send Mashinge Mupariwa Magarira Akram Kamunhukamwe and Ngarava back for more exposure and then add 8 more names. I would say you must always keep at least half an 11 so that they remain competitive. Don't forget they have been given first class status as well so they still need a core team. I would then add Jongwe Welly and Masuku(he is 25 but he exploded onto the scene. Might be a real talent). That's 9 guys. Then you can scout the other 7 to make 16. Maybe 4 from the u19s and 3 wild cards.

PSR

Post by PSR »

Harrison looks really good...Include him for Afghanistan ODIs ;)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya if they have that thought process it’s good. I don’t agree with what you’re saying about those guys having graduated. The reality is that even some senior guys would benefit from 40 games against decent second team opposition.

You guys need to take a look at this Afghan u19 side. It’s going to open a can of worms if they get through to the finals because there’s no way they are the ages that they claim- maybe in Afghan mountain goat years, but not on the calendar we use. They think if they claim most of their guys are 15-18 maybe it will raise less suspicion than if they claim they’re 18 years and 360 days? There’s a 17 year old that’s got a better beard than I could grow in a year, and I can look like Father Christmas.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 am
You guys need to take a look at this Afghan u19 side. It’s going to open a can of worms if they get through to the finals because there’s no way they are the ages that they claim- maybe in Afghan mountain goat years, but not on the calendar we use. They think if they claim most of their guys are 15-18 maybe it will raise less suspicion than if they claim they’re 18 years and 360 days? There’s a 17 year old that’s got a better beard than I could grow in a year, and I can look like Father Christmas.
I haven't watched them but was about to ask exactly that.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Look no further than Rashid Khan. As if he hasn't had about eleven 19th birthdays.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The one WC they discovered the one chap was 29! I don’t recall the details. Whether they’re a day or ten years too old it amounts to the same thing. The day people work that out the world will be a happier place. You can’t be half pregnant.