[Match Thread] U19 WC Plate C'Ship: Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

[Match Thread] U19 WC Plate C'Ship: Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So we are in the plate as usual. 9th place play-off QF match tomorrow vs Namibia against whom we are unbeaten. No drama please guys, please keep that streak going.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8368 ... p-2017-18/

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] U19 WC Plate C'Ship: Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Post by zimfan1 »

2 early wickets for the boys :W:

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Ok so I have just seen an hours worth of highlights from the Zimbabwe/India game.

I was seriously pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to go through some players who impressed me particularly.

Dollar looked good upfront. Even though he closes himself off massively, he seemed to deal nicely with the moving ball. He played shot of the game, for me, when he played a stunning on drive off one of the Indian quicks (and he was quick!). Got out to a good pip but there is clearly a lot to work with there. Clearly a solid glove man too.

Madhvere (spelling) looked very composed with the bat and has a really strong off spinners action. I hate this coming around the wicket idea, but hey, each to their own. Puts it there or there abouts and as i say, looked solid with the bat.

Roche. Good technique, looks tall and skinny but again, solid. Played a perfect straight punch and nailed a pull shot for six off a 88mph bouncer. Clearly a talent to be looked after and looked more than handy with the ball, although his open chested action won't allow for a lot of turn as he massively closes himself off. But again, the kid is 19...

Shumba! I wanna see this guy in the national set up very soon. Left handed bat, absolutely solid as a rock and hit the ball damned hard. Shame he got out the way he did but for a bloke of his age, he hits it very hard! Is he perhaps older? He looked a lot older than the rest.

Harrison. Couldn't believe how much purchase on the ball he put. Really did pivot on that left foot and drive the right leg through, in doing some got some lovely dip and drift. It was just a shame he was bowling on glass which suited the pace bowlers. Very unlucky not to get another over, in my opinion, as the balls he was hit for were decent deliveries, but even better shots. This lad should be persisted with. Made it look easy and i couldn't believe how strong his action was.

All in all, is there as much combined talent in this side as the last under 19's? Probably not. Never the less, there's enough players to work with here going forward. Harrison, for me, has to be looked at! He's doing well in SA right googly? I say get him in the rising stars squad and blood him

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 pm
Madhvere (spelling)
What's the point of writing so much in a post, even realizing that the spelling of his name is incorrect (just a missing 'e' in this case) and indicating that with 10 typed characters '(spelling)' but not just adding that missing e instead? :)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Lol ^
I reckon focus on Shumba, Madhevere, roche, Harrison and maybe Dollar and fuck the rest off!
Consolidate resources.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Even without team management of Mangongo, Utseya, Lamb Zimbabwe Under 19 could have won this game, and will continue to win against these weak teams, unless they face Windies and Sri Lanka.

The Robot

Post by The Robot »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 am
Lol ^
I reckon focus on Shumba, Madhevere, roche, Harrison and maybe Dollar and fuck the rest off!
Consolidate resources.
Trent Jayden Schdendorff
Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

This is what I’m saying. They’re sending a team over to the uk for a whole season but I’d bet that only Roche, Shumba and Madhevere are available from the ones we’ve correctly identified as being useful. Maybe Shardendorf is also available, but it looks like he’s persona non grata in Mangongo’s books, so that may mean that extends to RS as well? I’m not sure who else is on that RS list but it would be an educated guess that there’s not too many youngsters on the tour that stand a chance of setting it alight. Bear in mind that that most of their games last year were against very ordinary clubs, and I don’t see much merit in that, other than teaching a Zimbo what it feels like to win. :lol:
I don’t know the costs of RS in UK for a season vs sending 5 decent players to an academy for 3 months, it’s probably quite similar and I think would be more beneficial.

Googly

Post by Googly »

To answer your question Sloan, Harrison bowls immaculate line and length, I haven’t seen enough of him recently to see what variations he has. He doesn’t offer too much with the bat, but is certainly determine. Hes at SACS in CT, I’m sure he’s matriculated so will be thinking of Uni. He’s clearly rated there if he gets the nod for provincial sides ahead of a host of decent bowlers of colour in the Cape. I’m surprised he didn’t take more wickets or get more overs, but that’s also partly because the captain is also an offie, not that I’m knocking Roche for not bowling him more. The problem with Harrison is that his family live in CT, you’d need a contract to ensure he doesn’t just enjoy the experience and leave. The same thing happened with the u19 opener whom ZC imported from SA in 2014/2015 when we had Byrom and Welch in the wings as two talented 15 year olds, he looked ok but didn’t make runs, had a major glitch wide of off, and has given up cricket and is now a body builder. Yet another corrupt spiteful decision that cost us the services of both Byrom and Welch. They sent 5 twenty year olds instead. Whilst these people are around we can’t progress.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Madhevere could actually sneak into the 2020 u19 world cup and I'm sure by then he would be really really good. There is no need to rush his progression. I would like to see him go through another 2 year training cycle and if he finishes school this year then maybe the rising stars next year then he leads the 2020 team if he is eligible depending on the cut off date. Shumba too. He has already played 2 first class games imagine he plays 10 more over the next 2 years.