Performance of players needs to be watched before the team selection for Qualifiers 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Performance of players needs to be watched before the team selection for Qualifiers 2018

Post by The Robot »

ICC World Cup 2018 are nearly a month away. All important event to decide 2 teams to qualify as 9th & 10th side in 50 Overs ICC World Cup 2019 in UK.

Zimbabwe to host an ICC event after 2003 50 over World Cup jointly hosted by South Africa, Kenya & Zimbabwe. When it comes to the ICC World Cup Qualifiers, Zimbabwe has great record winning the title thrice ( 1982, 1986 & 1990 ). This time Zimbabwe are slotted in Group B along with Afghsnistan, Scotland, Hong Kong and one of the wiiners of ICC Division 2 league.

So far, Zimbabwe performing average in the tri nation series 2018 in Bangladesh. Middle Order batting and lower order has been struggling to be consistent. Fielding and death bowling has been poor, after this tournament Zim to fly UAE for an odis & t20s against Afghanistan.

In the meantime, ZC decided to resume the Pro 50 One Day Competition to mark as the preparation for the qualifiers and provide an opportunity to the domestic players to impress and come under selector's radar. Let's find out who can be the probables :

Batting :

Opening Slot : Solomon Mire proving to be inconsistent after showing some impressive performances, he is not even given the bowl must be an issue, fielding looks he is struggling with fitness.

Cephas Zhuwao, Prince Masvaure ( can bowl few overs of pace change deliveries ) , Ryan Burl ( Handled the seam & swing well with the pink ball in South Africa, would'nt be bad option to open, brings in left right combination which is tough for the bowler )

Middle Order Slot : Craig Ervine is going through bad patch, is surely the automatic choice but needs to fire.

Tarisai Musakanda, Tinotenda Mutombodzi. Want to see Wesley Madhevere in Pro 50 ( experienced youth cricketer can bat at the top and an usefull spinner - allround option who can bat at the top)

Lower Order : Inconsitent Malcolm Waller.

Sean Williams has got more chance in this spot. Usefull allround players like Liam Roche, Luke Jongwe, Nathan Waller, William Mashinge could fit in though he deserves another go after failing in UAE for Zimbabwe A

Wicket Keeper Batsman : If Taylor keeps, his fitness might be an issue as Zimbabwe needs him as proper batsman. Peter Moor is not good with his keeping skills, however he gets picked because of his ability to hit the ball. So far his performance has been 50-50.

Zimbabwe as got some classical youth wicket keeper batsman who can also bat at the top. Ryan Murray & Taffy Mupriwa ( looks classical, needs some exposure.

Bowling :

Spinner : Tendai Chisoro and Brandon Mavuta are clearly the one to support Cremer, Raza & Williams. Chisoro & Mavuta needs to prove with the bat, both can bat. Mavuta can prove good in slower wickets as we saw him in spinning pitches of UAE

Fast Bowling : Biggest Concern for Zimbabwe 's success

Chatara, Jarvis automatic choice needs to work on death bowling. Jarvis has sacrificed his pace to get swing after playing in county, which will not work in slow wickets of Zimbabwe. Both of them needs to improve on slowers, cutters, pace and bowling yorkers. Muzarabani needs time and got to strength his muscles

options needs to be seen - needs a left arm pacer to add variety to the pace attack

Brian Vitori : One of the talents Zimbabwe needs to do well in this tournament ( Known to have a venom of a match winning bowler, should play all the matches of Pro 50 to find how effective is he with his new action.

Richard Ngarava : Zimbabwe camp has lots of hope from him. His height and ability to bowl at higher 130+ made him earn his place much earlier. However, he failed to impress at his young age, had problem with bowling line & length, going for plenty, but with few good spells in last tour of UK with ZRS Academy he shown some improvement in the ongoing logan cup four day competition, needs to be looked before the qualifiers.

Brighton Zhawi : Has been in the domestic structure for sometimes now. Doesn't have great first class record, but has been decent for the Eagles in limited over games.

Carl Mumba : Talented, Hit the deck bowler, Can bowl fast has got swing, can bowl yorkers, impressed with his few games at the international arena, needs to be fully fit.

Donald Tiripano, Neville Madziva, Chris Mpofu : Mpofu has got edge over other two for his experience. When it comes to death bowling in slow & sticky wicket Tiripano & Madziva are best. Both can bat, but Tiripano is more technically correct then Madziva, needs to get atleast one from these three in the qualifiers.

As a conclusion players needs to look at in pro 50 tournament, list goes like :

Cephas Zhuwao, Prince Masvaure, Ryan Burl, Tarisai Musakanda, Tinotenda Mutombodzi,Wesley Madhevere, Liam Roche, Nathan Waller, Luke Jongwe, William Mashinge, Ryan Murray, Taffy Mupriwa, Brandon Mavuta, One or two from ( Brian Vitori, Richard Ngarava, Brighton Zhawi) , Carl Mumba, One from ( Donald Tiripano, Neville Madziva) Williams. Chisoro
Robo to rule :oops:

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Performance of players needs to be watched before the team selection for Qualifiers 2018

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Poor performances comming off from the senior players.Pro 50 if resumed, will gain importance now
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Performance of players needs to be watched before the team selection for Qualifiers 2018

Post by Black Mamba »

Hope ZC throws out open chance for every players, for selection of teams in qualifiers. Madhevere needs to be watched out, he is ready for domestic cricket, can open and also bat at middle or down the order with wicket taking off spin bowling.

tawac

Post by tawac »

This is why its so important to keep domestic cricket going. It will always gives you options to look at. With qualifiers hardly a month away I don't see any changes being made to the team. May a white wash in UAE will get the selectors thinking.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

Can somebody tell me why Club and franchise cricket has come to a grinding halt?

zimstarr

Post by zimstarr »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm
Can somebody tell me why Club and franchise cricket has come to a grinding halt?

The funds for club and franchise cricket are being diverted to the rising stars holiday in England . Zc underestimates the value of club cricket

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Work being done to the grounds for the CWC Qualifiers

As for all these names getting thrown up don’t bother the side is 90% picked and these games now are just to get some runs and overs into the players.

Guys like Williams, Musakanda & Burl still probably fighting it out with Murray & Moor for the last two batting spots. Also I think if Vitori goes ok against Kenya he’ll go to the tour of UAE and then if he does well there he’ll be in as well.

Guys like Cephas, Mutombodzi, Ngarava etc just aren’t in Streak’s plans at the moment
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Googly wrote:
Work being done to the grounds for the CWC Qualifiers

As for all these names getting thrown up don’t bother the side is 90% picked and these games now are just to get some runs and overs into the players.

Guys like Williams, Musakanda & Burl still probably fighting it out with Murray & Moor for the last two batting spots. Also I think if Vitori goes ok against Kenya he’ll go to the tour of UAE and then if he does well there he’ll be in as well.

Guys like Cephas, Mutombodzi, Ngarava etc just aren’t in Streak’s plans at the moment
Zimbabwe is doing well with the bowl. Both Vitori & Ngarava will be under selection radar, as they are left arm pacers, which adds dimmension to the bowling attack. Yes, Vitori will be watched more, as he is someone with match winning skills.

Its very much under doubt, that all the batsman selected for Zimbabwe A will get their chance to bat against a weak divison 2 team, will definately see run feast from openers and 1st & 2nd down batsman, won't be surprised if failures like Chibhabha & Chakabva, Maruma smashes Kenya, approach would have been differant if they played A sides of strong teams.
Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

zimstarr wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 pm
Googly wrote:

The funds for club and franchise cricket are being diverted to the rising stars holiday in England . Zc underestimates the value of club cricket
I’m hoping that you’re joking?

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:37 pm
zimstarr wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 pm
Googly wrote:

I’m hoping that you’re joking?
:shock: so bad if this is true