All time Zimbabwe fielding XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: All time Zimbabwe fielding XI

Post by eugene »

Wayne James equaled the world record of most dismissals in an innings by a keeper with 9. In the same match he also scored 99 in the first innings, and 99* in the second innings - the only player to achieve 99 twice in the same match. Never saw a lot of footage of him playing, but presumably he could keep pretty well.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

The two 99’s can’t have happened too often either. I think he’s involved with the Tuskers, quality guy.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 am
The two 99’s can’t have happened too often either. I think he’s involved with the Tuskers, quality guy.
When I had a drink with Robin Brown about 4 summers ago, he mentioned Wayne James as a real tough, gritty guy, but that he was very highly respected in ZC circles. Apparently brown wanted him as the batting coach during his tenure as head coach. Said that James, Curran, Waller, Brent and he himself took fielding, fitness and discipline very seriously.

Sounds like the stereotypical Rhodie

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Paul Strang was pretty nifty in the field too. And very quick.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am
Googly wrote:
When I had a drink with Robin Brown about 4 summers ago, he mentioned Wayne James as a real tough, gritty guy, but that he was very highly respected in ZC circles. Apparently brown wanted him as the batting coach during his tenure as head coach. Said that James, Curran, Waller, Brent and he himself took fielding, fitness and discipline very seriously.
I don’t want to dwell in the past, but it’s not easy to let go. When you add Houghton, both Flowers, Pycroft, Traicos, Higgins and a couple of other notables we had the most unbelievable group of people here. Well respected, knowledgeable, patriotic, etc etc, we really had every opportunity to play well above our handicap of a tiny nation and limited finances, all deliberately dismantled to get the grubby mitts on the moolah.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:15 pm
sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am
Googly wrote:
I don’t want to dwell in the past, but it’s not easy to let go. When you add Houghton, both Flowers, Pycroft, Traicos, Higgins and a couple of other notables we had the most unbelievable group of people here. Well respected, knowledgeable, patriotic, etc etc, we really had every opportunity to play well above our handicap of a tiny nation and limited finances, all deliberately dismantled to get the grubby mitts on the moolah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4ZAXUJStw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KpliA-oWAU

I know it isn't cricket related, but for anyone who wishes to watch a couple of documentaries on the Freeths, and the decline of Zimbabwe, have a look at these :cry:

Cricket is very much entangled with this