[Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 5 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 5 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by Googly »

Brian has always been able to bowl with a passable action, it’s his effort ball that gets him into trouble. I haven’t seen him of late but he did put on weight and was using a bent arm to bowl quicker for his stock deliveries. For him it’s all about being fit and strong and not carrying too much weight more than an actual change to his bowling action. He’d have to do something pretty special to catch the selectors’ attention. Our seam attack looks ok, the only questionable one is Muzarabani and my guess is that they will stick with him.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:29 am
Brian has always been able to bowl with a passable action, it’s his effort ball that gets him into trouble. I haven’t seen him of late but he did put on weight and was using a bent arm to bowl quicker for his stock deliveries. For him it’s all about being fit and strong and not carrying too much weight more than an actual change to his bowling action. He’d have to do something pretty special to catch the selectors’ attention. Our seam attack looks ok, the only questionable one is Muzarabani and my guess is that they will stick with him.
Let him hit at the Zym, his pace will increase

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

Who's pretending ??

Plenty of people here calling for heads to roll but not many solutions, I'd love to know who these match winners are who aren't in the side now?
There was a lot of, "why are people so pessimistic". "We were the worlds best in Sri Lanka". "We are a much better squad and improving.". "I stayed off the forums during the match because people are so negative..." etc etc

Let's not kid ourselves, other than that series win in Sri Lanka, what do we have to happy about. Firstly, Sri Lanka have been horrible for some time, and yes we won that series, but we have still lost them and shown we let even poor teams have a chance.

People will spin it however they want, but we did lose to Netherlands and Scotland just before that. Afghanistan have made far more strides in five years than we have in 25. South Africa just obliterated us, even their third team did so. West Indies overran us, bar the one innings.

I for one am extremely worried about the qualifiers because I do not think that we are one of the top 2 sides going in to the competition. We might not even be in the top 4 sides.

Our errors on the field are not hard to pick. They are simple things. Cross bat shots, terrible fielding, poor line and length, it is the things they teach you at school level, yet these are professional cricketers making these mistakes. What are the coaches teaching, and if the coaches are teaching it, why are the players not listening.

People want to laud certain players and harp on about certain skill sets, but then knock other players mostly because they have an agenda, and all this is not in the best interests of the game.

Look at Australia, able to drop an in form Maxwell, yet we talk about how we can never ever drop Hammy because he is a legend. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for Hammy to be dropped, I am merely given an example. The world was up in arms when KP got cut from England. How can we really expect our youngsters to develop when we do not offer them the chance.

I don't like the guy, but I agree with Mangongo regarding grassroots cricket. From everything we have experienced over the last few years and the testimonies we have heard from many, all it takes is for us to win one game and a lot proclaim how good we are. I also think though the problem might be more than just lack of games. I watched an interview with Chiminya from our U19s and he was talking about how he wanted to make a name for himself and be a big thing. I appreciate the confidence and attitude to be excitable, but if you are going to talk big, you need to respond on the field. His return in the group games was 27 runs from 2 games (DNB against PNG) and bowling figures of 5-0-48-1 over the 3 games.

These youngsters want to wear the latest fashion and talk big but don't really back it up on the field. To me the problem stems deeper than the national squad.

Only 3 guys make my squad for every format.

Raza - By far and away our in form player. He is a smart player, excitable, always full of energy (Which is another thing. I can hear a pin drop when we field. It's not a funeral lads) and always trying. Always looking to improve. The only one I really see giving his all for the badge every time he plays, even when he has had rough patches.
Cremer - The only talented spinner we have that you can call on to do that job at the moment. That is unless we can give others a chance. Does not get picked for his captaincy.
Jarvis - The only bowler we have who can bowl a decent length and seem to get some regular movement. Some good change ups as well Yes his speed is down, but you don't need to be Rabada speed to be a good bowler. Mcgrath proved that for years.

There are others that would be definite for me, but not in all formats, hence their exclusions.

Solutions are rather obvious to be fair.

/rant

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I have no idea why you would compare Australia dropping Maxwell to Zimbabwe dropping Hami ????

I’ll ask who are these match winners we should be dropping his for ?

It’s too late to say grassroots cricket has failed or Logan Cup is weak concerning qualifying for the World Cup, yes these things need to be fixed but they won’t be fixed over night.

Of course I’m worried about the qualifiers there’s 5 quality sides fighting for 2 spots and you’d think the Windies have one spot in their grasp. Afghanistan are beatable but they have Rashid who could beat us by himself and Ireland have never lost to us at a World Event.

But I think we’ve given ourselves the best chance possible to qualify by hosting the event and getting BT, KJ and maybe Vitori back in the squad.

As for staying off the forum when we won in SL because we were all so happy, well as a Zimbo fan you’ve probably robbed yourself of the greatest moment we’ve had since 1999 and if things are so bleak as you’ve pointed out we might not see another ODI series win against a full member.

I think people get carried away a bit with expectations of the side, in the end of the day it’s Zimbabwe not Australia you need to re-evaluate your short term expectations
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am
I have no idea why you would compare Australia dropping Maxwell to Zimbabwe dropping Hami ????

It’s too late to say grassroots cricket has failed or Logan Cup is weak concerning qualifying for the World Cup, yes these things need to be fixed but they won’t be fixed over night.

Of course I’m worried about the qualifiers there’s 5 quality sides fighting for 2 spots and you’d think the Windies have one spot in their grasp. Afghanistan are beatable but they have Rashid who could beat us by himself and Ireland have never lost to us at a World Event.

But I think we’ve given ourselves the best chance possible to qualify by hosting the event and getting BT, KJ and maybe Vitori back in the squad.

As for staying off the forum when we won in SL because we were all so happy, well as a Zimbo fan you’ve probably robbed yourself of the greatest moment we’ve had since 1999 and if things are so bleak as you’ve pointed out we might not see another ODI series win against a full member.

I think people get carried away a bit with expectations of the side, in the end of the day it’s Zimbabwe not Australia you need to re-evaluate your short term expectations
I am trying to highlight how a name should not mean you get immunity. We were once a top side and if we don't behave like them, how can we be. I didn't say we should drop him. I was using it as an example. In my view though, I dont say we have match winners who could come in, but we need to be blooding the youth. If the old brigade fails, then you stand to lose nothing by letting the youth play.

Having home advantage is definitely a big plus. Let's face it, had it still been in Bangladesh I reckon we would be out. We just cant seem to grasp sub continent pitches too well. At least not the current side. But we shouldn't kid ourselves. Apart from BT's fifty, hes been very disappointing coming back. Vitori has been out for ages, so you can't expect he would just walk in surely. He needs plenty match practice between now and March. Yes having them is a great bonus, but that bonus has to be shown or proven.

I think you've also misunderstood me. I wasn't staying off the forum because you were all happy. I was saying how others stayed off the forum during the SL game we won in this series because they said everyone who was on during the game was too negative.

My short term expectations are not very high. I am not expecting us to perform like Australia, but we are a Test status side, we need to start acting like one. Basic errors like not knowing how to run between the stumps, playing shots you stop playing in school cricket, and basic fielding errors are all not part of that mode. I am not forcing or asking for for the earth.

I have been involved in cricket for a long time. My uncle played for Zim. My other uncle has coached at all levels. My cousin represented Zim schools (played alongside Taylor and DeGrandhomme . My family has a long history within Zim sport, and even beyond that, so I hope I have a good grasp of things. I've coached at a youth level in two different countries in more than one sport and learnt from some of the best. My expectation is not carried away though, I assure you that.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am

I am trying to highlight how a name should not mean you get immunity. We were once a top side and if we don't behave like them, how can we be. I didn't say we should drop him. I was using it as an example. In my view though, I dont say we have match winners who could come in, but we need to be blooding the youth. If the old brigade fails, then you stand to lose nothing by letting the youth play.

Having home advantage is definitely a big plus. Let's face it, had it still been in Bangladesh I reckon we would be out. We just cant seem to grasp sub continent pitches too well. At least not the current side. But we shouldn't kid ourselves. Apart from BT's fifty, hes been very disappointing coming back. Vitori has been out for ages, so you can't expect he would just walk in surely. He needs plenty match practice between now and March. Yes having them is a great bonus, but that bonus has to be shown or proven.

I think you've also misunderstood me. I wasn't staying off the forum because you were all happy. I was saying how others stayed off the forum during the SL game we won in this series because they said everyone who was on during the game was too negative.

My short term expectations are not very high. I am not expecting us to perform like Australia, but we are a Test status side, we need to start acting like one. Basic errors like not knowing how to run between the stumps, playing shots you stop playing in school cricket, and basic fielding errors are all not part of that mode. I am not forcing or asking for for the earth.

I have been involved in cricket for a long time. My uncle played for Zim. My other uncle has coached at all levels. My cousin represented Zim schools (played alongside Taylor and DeGrandhomme . My family has a long history within Zim sport, and even beyond that, so I hope I have a good grasp of things. I've coached at a youth level in two different countries in more than one sport and learnt from some of the best. My expectation is not carried away though, I assure you that.
Who is your uncle zimbo ? Very interesting !
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Look the most important thing is to qualify for the WC

It's too late to experiment we already know who the best 15 cricketers in the country are

What's important is to have these guys in top form by March

Anything else is insignificant and cannot be changed or fixed by the time March comes around
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:52 pm
Look the most important thing is to qualify for the WC

It's too late to experiment we already know who the best 15 cricketers in the country are

What's important is to have these guys in top form by March

Anything else is insignificant and cannot be changed or fixed by the time March comes around
Correct. Use this series and the series in Dubai to brush off all cobwebs and make sure we are ready!
Williams must return, he has to! A player with his ability sitting in Bulowayo whilst Waller is in the side is ridiculous.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Andybligzz wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 am

Who is your uncle zimbo ? Very interesting !

Ahmed Suleman, or at least that's what I knew him as, represented Rhodesia as it were in some matches. However, think they were warm up games and he didn't make an official match, will have to clarify the full story on that.

I disagree jaybro, I personally don't think we know the strongest 15. In my mind there are at least 4 first spots that are up for grabs. It's never too late to experiment if done properly.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Depends what you call experimenting Zimbo

Seeing who scores more runs against Kenya from Burl or Tari isn’t experimenting but if you want to throw Cephas into the Afghanistan matches it’s too late imo

Hami
Mire
Ervine
BT
Raza
Williams
Waller
Cremer
Blessing
KJ
Larry
Chisoro