[Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 5 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread]: 2018 Tri-Series Match 5 | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by sloandog »

Remove Waller and get Tari In there first and foremost. There's still 5 official ODI's in Dubai to make some adjustments yet so give him the games and get him the necessary exposure. Williams has to return. Sorry, I know a lot here are now on the hate train for Sean but the fact he has so much experience and undoubtable ability, coupled with him sitting in Bulawayo has to be rectified. Hopefully he can score heavily against the touring Kenyans.

Burl I'm not sure about. Is he suited to shorter format cricket? I hope he is. Saw his century for the RS late last summer and he just oozed class, so he has the ability. If it was between him and Tari, though, I would have the latter all day. Seems to have more of arrange of strokes to fall back on.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Apparently Williams broke his finger

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 am
Apparently Williams broke his finger
Interesting

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Never too late to wish him on the achievement probably... Well done to Cremer on his 100 ODI wickets achievement. Bowled well through the series. On occasions, also looked a better captain than ever before in this series.

Good series too for Raza, Jarvis and Chatara. Nothing to write home about for others.

Kind of what I had predicted too, for Zim:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 am
Prediction: BD to win the series with Zim failing to make the final. With 0 or 1 win in the league stage. Zim to do well later against the Afghans.
Hope BD doesn't fold up like their last league match and prove me right :)

I'll be predicting a 4-1 win for us against the Afghans this time. If there is a slip up, we might still win it 3-2.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Experimenting is using the series we have to blood new players, but also using A-series to give fringe players more game time.

We all knew that we would be in the qualifiers, and also potentially in it without BT and Jarvis. There should have been a plan in place from 2015, if not earlier.

A-series should have been lined up against Kenya, Namibia, SA A, Holland, Scotland, Ireland, Afghanistan. I pick these squads because they are probably most likely to say yes. The series should have been on a regular basis too. There should have been a plan to identify players from then and bring them in to the fold of the national team through training camps and inter team matches. All learning what they need to so they can be called upon.

I don't think it's too late to throw players in for the Afghanistan series. What is the worst that happens. We get a player who performs and he cements a spot, or we get a player who fails and we just go back to the players who are currently failing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am
Remove Waller and get Tari In there first and foremost. There's still 5 official ODI's in Dubai to make some adjustments yet so give him the games and get him the necessary exposure. Williams has to return. Sorry, I know a lot here are now on the hate train for Sean but the fact he has so much experience and undoubtable ability, coupled with him sitting in Bulawayo has to be rectified. Hopefully he can score heavily against the touring Kenyans.

Burl I'm not sure about. Is he suited to shorter format cricket? I hope he is. Saw his century for the RS late last summer and he just oozed class, so he has the ability. If it was between him and Tari, though, I would have the latter all day. Seems to have more of arrange of strokes to fall back on.
I’ve watched Tari a few times, there’s no doubt he’s got some shots and is a good player, but in my book Burl edges him, I know he hasn’t done anything extraordinary yet but I rate him.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Oh yea, same, I rate them both. It would just appear Tari has more shots.
Both exciting players going forward for sure. I want to see Moor fall into their bracket, too. He's still only 26.
Burl, Shumba, Moor, Tari, Ngarva, Murray, Mavuta, Muzarabani, Roche, Harrison and Magarira need to be focused on heavily as the future bedrock of the side. Young Wez as well. Looks like a very accomplished player. I watched a short highlights package of their last Under 19's game. TJS and Wez batted beautifully. Really looked like quality players for their age.

The future isn't all bleak.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

Who's pretending ??

Plenty of people here calling for heads to roll but not many solutions, I'd love to know who these match winners are who aren't in the side now?
There was a lot of, "why are people so pessimistic". "We were the worlds best in Sri Lanka". "We are a much better squad and improving.". "I stayed off the forums during the match because people are so negative..." etc etc

Let's not kid ourselves, other than that series win in Sri Lanka, what do we have to happy about. Firstly, Sri Lanka have been horrible for some time, and yes we won that series, but we have still lost them and shown we let even poor teams have a chance.

People will spin it however they want, but we did lose to Netherlands and Scotland just before that. Afghanistan have made far more strides in five years than we have in 25. South Africa just obliterated us, even their third team did so. West Indies overran us, bar the one innings.

I for one am extremely worried about the qualifiers because I do not think that we are one of the top 2 sides going in to the competition. We might not even be in the top 4 sides.

Our errors on the field are not hard to pick. They are simple things. Cross bat shots, terrible fielding, poor line and length, it is the things they teach you at school level, yet these are professional cricketers making these mistakes. What are the coaches teaching, and if the coaches are teaching it, why are the players not listening.

People want to laud certain players and harp on about certain skill sets, but then knock other players mostly because they have an agenda, and all this is not in the best interests of the game.

Look at Australia, able to drop an in form Maxwell, yet we talk about how we can never ever drop Hammy because he is a legend. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for Hammy to be dropped, I am merely given an example. The world was up in arms when KP got cut from England. How can we really expect our youngsters to develop when we do not offer them the chance.

I don't like the guy, but I agree with Mangongo regarding grassroots cricket. From everything we have experienced over the last few years and the testimonies we have heard from many, all it takes is for us to win one game and a lot proclaim how good we are. I also think though the problem might be more than just lack of games. I watched an interview with Chiminya from our U19s and he was talking about how he wanted to make a name for himself and be a big thing. I appreciate the confidence and attitude to be excitable, but if you are going to talk big, you need to respond on the field. His return in the group games was 27 runs from 2 games (DNB against PNG) and bowling figures of 5-0-48-1 over the 3 games.

These youngsters want to wear the latest fashion and talk big but don't really back it up on the field. To me the problem stems deeper than the national squad.

Only 3 guys make my squad for every format.

Raza - By far and away our in form player. He is a smart player, excitable, always full of energy (Which is another thing. I can hear a pin drop when we field. It's not a funeral lads) and always trying. Always looking to improve. The only one I really see giving his all for the badge every time he plays, even when he has had rough patches.
Cremer - The only talented spinner we have that you can call on to do that job at the moment. That is unless we can give others a chance. Does not get picked for his captaincy.
Jarvis - The only bowler we have who can bowl a decent length and seem to get some regular movement. Some good change ups as well Yes his speed is down, but you don't need to be Rabada speed to be a good bowler. Mcgrath proved that for years.

There are others that would be definite for me, but not in all formats, hence their exclusions.

Solutions are rather obvious to be fair.

/rant
Read this again