Sam Curran called up for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Sam Curran called up for England

Post by Googly »

Ok I remember the Somerset youngster. Tom Banton, he’s 19 or 20, a right hander. This young man is unbelievable.
It’s hard to understand why he hasn’t nailed down a regular first team spot, I’d put him straight into the England team, he’s that good.
Ed Byrom’s spot will be under pressure with this kid. They’re different players, and hopefully Banton will bat at 3 or 4, Ed being more of an accumulator.
Just keep an eye on him, 1000 runs already in Two’s this season, he’s the real deal. There are about a dozen really good 20 year old batters in the UK, but I’m sticking my neck out here and saying Banton has that bit extra.

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

He's been very impressive today. Took four key wickets.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I'm quite surprised he's done so well. Granted, he's a fine swing bowler, but I had assumed with his lack of height and pace he would be easily handled at international level. I still feel that way, but he's taken an impressive haul against a acclaimed batting lineup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

His quickest ball was 85. That’s sharp. His stock ball is around 80. They did say he probably isn’t quick enough to go on tour to SA or Australia just yet. If you look at his build you can see he’s still going to get bigger and stronger. What they also said (as have I) is that he’s going to become a batting all rounder very shortly as his batting has tremendous capacity to improve.
For his age he has great control and he’s surprisingly fast and skiddy. He needs the ball to swing or he’s not going to be too effective at international level. I don’t know whether he gets it to reverse?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Batted beautifully to give England something to bowl at and just made an important breakthrough. Match in the balance now. There’s just that man Kohli between them and victory.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 am
His quickest ball was 85. That’s sharp. His stock ball is around 80. They did say he probably isn’t quick enough to go on tour to SA or Australia just yet. If you look at his build you can see he’s still going to get bigger and stronger. What they also said (as have I) is that he’s going to become a batting all rounder very shortly as his batting has tremendous capacity to improve.
For his age he has great control and he’s surprisingly fast and skiddy. He needs the ball to swing or he’s not going to be too effective at international level. I don’t know whether he gets it to reverse?
Anderson has bowled in the early 90s but no one would say he's a genuine quick. That said, Curran is showing impressive control in addition to his swing. If he can maintain that, he doesn't need to be 6 inches taller or 5 clicks quicker. Plus his batting is a big plus.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

He’s going to be a star for a long time

England are so lucky to have 2 genuine batting/swing bowling allrounders at the same time !!! Most sides would kill for 1
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:59 am
He’s going to be a star for a long time

England are so lucky to have 2 genuine batting/swing bowling allrounders at the same time !!! Most sides would kill for 1
I think stokes more of reverse swinger. Of course it might be that he probably rarely gets the new ball. But he seems to be England's best exponent of reverse.

Sam Curran bowled with exceptional control, especially for someone his age. Staying in the England side with as many fast bowlers as they produce will take some work. There have been so many who didn't really last long Bresnan, Tremlett, Sidebottom, Finn, perhaps Wood and Woakes.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He keeps getting opportunities before they’re due and he keeps grabbing them with both hands :lol:
The guy I’m worried about is his brother, he’s going to have to play out of his boots to keep a regular spot in the Surrey side, never mind England.
Surrey’s bowlers are Sam Curran, Plunkett, Morkel, Dernbach, Mckerr, Pillans, Meaker, Atkinson, Tom Curran.
I have a feeling Meaker will lose his contract to Plunkett.
I really don’t understand that but I see it coming.
That’s NINE superb seamers, Atkinson is young, but aside from that I’d say Tom is probably the next easiest to face. He bowls good line and length and gets it to move a bit but the other guys are either quicker or taller. Watch this Mckerr boy when he gets going, he’s f*^%ing fast!! Tom offers a bit with the bat, as does Clark and obviously Sam, but I think next season will see Tom come under some pressure.
Clark is a bowling all rounder that England inexplicably overlooked, he’s a fine player.
I’ve just predicted Pope would replace Malan and got that right as well.

kudet

Post by kudet »

a good choice to include young Ollie Pope in the England squad.. kid is in form and the statistics dont lie. great to see how other domestic setups reward great performances with a national team call up and how they integrate the newbies.. cant wait to see how he fares in international cricket.. tough call on Malan but hey, he hasnt been in the best of form since the Ashes and he himself would know better