Sam Curran called up for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Sam Curran called up for England

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

News from a couple of days ago. If anyone hasn't noticed yet, Sam Curran is officially in the England squad for the T20s now. We can start saying "another one who got away": But this was already on the cards for so long now: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -t20-squad

This thread, like the CdG one and the Cartwright ones, could be used to track his international career...

CrimsonAvenger

Re: Sam Curran called up for England

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So before playing for either Zimbabwe or England, he might turn out for a World XI :lol:

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Called up for the English Test Side as cover for Ben Stokes.

England are crying out for a new star and Sam might be the guy.

Having two world class all-rounders in your side gives you such an advantage and great flexibility when choosing your lineups, you can plan an extra batsman or an extra spinner depending on the conditions.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

How good is he with the bat? I am not sure how much damage he can do with the ball given his lack of height and pace, especially when the sun comes out and the ball stops swinging.

England are in shambles if they are calling up teenagers. But thats what you can get when you've picked hacks like Vince and Stoneman. Cook is also probably past his expiration date. Root, Bairstow, and Stokes are the only guys in this side who can reliably score some runs. Its little wonder this unit lost to the Windies at home recently. If they don't improve they will lose 7-0 to PAK and IND this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:00 am
How good is he with the bat? I am not sure how much damage he can do with the ball given his lack of height and pace, especially when the sun comes out and the ball stops swinging.

England are in shambles if they are calling up teenagers. But thats what you can get when you've picked hacks like Vince and Stoneman. Cook is also probably past his expiration date. Root, Bairstow, and Stokes are the only guys in this side who can reliably score some runs. Its little wonder this unit lost to the Windies at home recently. If they don't improve they will lose 7-0 to PAK and IND this summer.
I THOUGHT STONEMAN WAS A ZCF FAVOURITE?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol: for the CAPS

The Robot

Post by The Robot »

Both the Currans are over rated. KKR team include Tom Curran in IPL 2018, as a replacement of Starc, certainly on the advice of Streak, but proved to be failure, as he was smashed all over the parks, it was a huge gamble made by KKR that made them to rely on indian pacers rather then retired Jhonshon and over rated Tom Curran
Robo to rule :oops:

rusty17

Post by rusty17 »

Making his text debut today, Stokes ruled out

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Sam Curran picked up his first test wicket well done 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sam is a superb batsman but his role has been as a bowling all rounder for the last three years! He’s almost a seasoned pro.
It’s a matter of time before his role becomes that of a batting all-rounder and then he will really come good.
I’ve watched him since he was a youngster and have always thought he should focus on his batting because he’s exceptionally talented. It’s a good observation that he’s probably not international standard (yet?) if the ball isn’t hooping. He’s definitely better than Tom. Whom everyone has forgotten is the other brother, Ben. He was always ordinary at school, but he’s become an exceptionally reliable and quality opening batsman. I think he may struggle to get a FC contract, which is unfair as he’s good enough. He’s Zimbabwean as well and would probably consider playing here if he failed there and in my opinion he’s a fine player and a gun fielder. He’d walk into our national side as an opener. It’s a percentage game and whilst he lacks a bit of flair he’s rock solid and knows his game and I guarantee he has burning desire having lived in a big shadow.
Bess was fortunate to get a game ahead of Verdi (20 year old Surrey player with 17 wickets on different tracks compared to Bess’ 20 on a Taunton turner), but he did well with the bat.
England have a handful of superb 19-21 year old batters.
Surrey have Pope who’s had 148 and 150 already this season and Jacks with a List A 100. He strikes it as clean as anyone in world cricket. There’s a Somerset or Sussex young leftie (can’t remember his name!) who’s probably better than all of them. I watched him continuously reversing two quicks a couple of weeks ago, it takes skill and confidence to do that. In the game I watched he went out taking on deep backward point with a reverse off a quick, bizarre but true, otherwise he would still be batting.
The fact is guys of this caliber would probably be playing international cricket by now if they were from a smaller nation, they’re that talented. English cricket has a way of somehow stamping out flair from quite a few players. They get so hung up on consistency and very few guys get a pink ticket (like Roy) to just go out and play their natural game.