Sam Curran called up for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Sam Curran called up for England

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 am
Googly wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:32 pm
Sam is a superb batsman but his role has been as a bowling all rounder for the last three years! He’s almost a seasoned pro.
It’s a matter of time before his role becomes that of a batting all-rounder and then he will really come good.
I’ve watched him since he was a youngster and have always thought he should focus on his batting because he’s exceptionally talented. It’s a good observation that he’s probably not international standard (yet?) if the ball isn’t hooping. He’s definitely better than Tom. Whom everyone has forgotten is the other brother, Ben. He was always ordinary at school, but he’s become an exceptionally reliable and quality opening batsman. I think he may struggle to get a FC contract, which is unfair as he’s good enough. He’s Zimbabwean as well and would probably consider playing here if he failed there and in my opinion he’s a fine player and a gun fielder. He’d walk into our national side as an opener. It’s a percentage game and whilst he lacks a bit of flair he’s rock solid and knows his game and I guarantee he has burning desire having lived in a big shadow.
Bess was fortunate to get a game ahead of Verdi (20 year old Surrey player with 17 wickets on different tracks compared to Bess’ 20 on a Taunton turner), but he did well with the bat.
England have a handful of superb 19-21 year old batters.
Surrey have Pope who’s had 148 and 150 already this season and Jacks with a List A 100. He strikes it as clean as anyone in world cricket. There’s a Somerset or Sussex young leftie (can’t remember his name!) who’s probably better than all of them. I watched him continuously reversing two quicks a couple of weeks ago, it takes skill and confidence to do that. In the game I watched he went out taking on deep backward point with a reverse off a quick, bizarre but true, otherwise he would still be batting.
The fact is guys of this caliber would probably be playing international cricket by now if they were from a smaller nation, they’re that talented. English cricket has a way of somehow stamping out flair from quite a few players. They get so hung up on consistency and very few guys get a pink ticket (like Roy) to just go out and play their natural game.
Zimbabweans seem to coach flair out of their players also, certainly among the white community. Seems to be a big emphasis on correct technique and grafting runs. How many Zimbabweans through the years have been good at improvising shots? Andy Flower and Doug Marillier seem to be the only ones that come to mind among the white guys.
Blignauticus was just a swinger knowing his place as a bowler was all but safe. Thats all.

Marillier was a bit of an improviser but as an all rounder coming in late he was afforded freedom to do so.

All in all, Zim whites have talent and are coached well in regards to a former era.

You dont see any real graceful batsman th way you see other countries. Zimbabwean batters make it look like very hard work even when they are scoring big. Sometimes Williams gets into a groove though.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

BT, Hammy and Vusi look great when they’re flowing.
Eeish I used to like watching Vusi bat when he was going well.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Ervine can look pretty awesome once he has got through 20-30 deliveries.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:26 am
Ervine can look pretty awesome once he has got through 20-30 deliveries.
His ODI century against NZ in 2016 was particularly eye catching

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

For elegance per stroke among contemporaries I put Vusi top, but then with him you never felt assured that he wouldn't get out next ball regardless.

For free-flowing, easy and assured stroke-play once they've gone past fifty, the feeling that they can hit pretty much every ball where they please, I'd put BT just ahead of Craig.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Any of our guys look good once they're going I refer to the following innings

Hami: 111 v Sr Lanka 2017 - IMO the most fluent I've seen Hami, he looked as though he could hit any ball he chose to the boundary especially early in his innings.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1114 ... -zim-2017/

BT: 138 v India 2015 WC - He's played a few but this was by far his classiest innings, much like Hami's innings he looked as though he could have hit any ball for 6 and any bowler
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... p-2014-15/

Ervine: 130* v NZ 2015 - His first innings batting @ 3 and his sexiest innings to date. Can't remember seeing many better innings by a Zimbo in a winning match.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1133 ... rica-2015/

Raza: 92 v Afghanistan 2018 - Some will disagree and have their own innings where they felt he looked better but for me this was the best I've seen him, his pull shits against Naib and Dawlat were Ricky Ponting esq and he deserved a 100 that day.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1855 ... e-2017-18/

Williams: 2015 WC - Couldn't pick a single innings from the WC that stood out higher than the rest but he just looked in control the entire tournament apart from the first game v RSA. As is usually the case with Willy he seemed to get out at crucial times after he had put Zimbabwe in strong positions ( story of his career ). His 100 v NZ in the test match was pretty good also although the field was up and he had a few lucky escapes early, but once he got going he was great to watch.

Chigumbura: 48 v NZ 2012 - Hard to pick for Chigs because there have been so many short innings where he has been a world beater and some of his longer innings I didn't see. His cameo against the UAE in the 2014 T20 WC was pretty good with his 6 hitting ability there to be seen, much like this short t20 innings v NZ he clocked some hefty hits in a short but stunning 24 ball innings.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1262 ... d-2011-12/

Vusi: I can't pick one Vusi innings out because he always looks a treat at the crease, even when he scores 13 off 50 he doesn't look like he's struggling it just looks like he's being too cautious. Maybe that's half the reason we get so frustrated with him because he makes it look so easy yet doesn't put out enough runs. Only time I really saw him struggle was in the 2003/04 summer in Australia where he was out of his depth so early in his career, although even then you could see his classy style.

Waller: t20 series v Bangladesh 2016- Again can't pick out the particular innings but he was on another level the entire series and when you consider how bad he looked in his final innings the difference is quite large.

The rest can't think of an innings or period when they looked super good maybe Chamu in 2015 but he wasn't on par with the rest of the guys.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, some really good recent knocks collated there jaybro, and I agree with Zimdoggy, Williams in full flow looks like a million dollars. Possibly a step above the rest of the guys.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am
Yeah, some really good recent knocks collated there jaybro, and I agree with Zimdoggy, Williams in full flow looks like a million dollars. Possibly a step above the rest of the guys.
Sibanda, every day of the week, had (and probably still has) the best technique in Zimbabwe.

In that ODI series in 2008 against Pakistan, in Pakistan, he scored 58 in the first ODI and he just looked pure class.

I think at one stage I made a thread comparing Sean Williams to Andy Flower; that's how cinsistent he was becoming at that time and he had clearly shown his absility to sweep and reverse sweep the ball. He's obviously slacked off in the past two years but he's still easily one of our best batters.
I mean lets face it, the barrel is pretty empty. Only Burl, Musakanda and maybe young Liam Roche have exhibited any meaninfgul potential

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am
Sibanda, every day of the week, had (and probably still has) the best technique in Zimbabwe.

In that ODI series in 2008 against Pakistan, in Pakistan, he scored 58 in the first ODI and he just looked pure class.

I think at one stage I made a thread comparing Sean Williams to Andy Flower; that's how cinsistent he was becoming at that time and he had clearly shown his absility to sweep and reverse sweep the ball. He's obviously slacked off in the past two years but he's still easily one of our best batters.
I mean lets face it, the barrel is pretty empty. Only Burl, Musakanda and maybe young Liam Roche have exhibited any meaninfgul potential
I disagree.
Sibanda does not have a fluid practical technique.
Anyone, and I mean anyone, can look good at the crease doing a defensive shot or an on Drive or whatever. It means shit. What if you do a picture perfect defensive shot and the ball misses the bat by 2 metres? It’s still a poster shot but it is completely dismissive of the situation at hand. That’s extreme as an example, but reign thy in a bit and that’s Sibanda. The cunt averages 23 or some shit. Mitch Starc or Ryan Harris or Graeme Swann, maybe even Cremer can do that. F off with this sibanda wasted talent shit lol.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Zimbabwe missing Raza, More, Zhuwao & Blessing M...Spots are up for grabs...
Chatara is getting whacked + where is Mumba- Donald Titipano is In..
Magarira should be in too