Sam Curran called up for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Sam Curran called up for England

Post by Googly »

I would have gone with Burns but I think they’ve picked Pope because he’s a right hander. Ashwin is causing problems for the lefties. Curran was the only one that came out to him, granted he had a bit of a license as he was batting with the tail, but you need to do something to put him off his length. India need to stop messing around and play Pujara, his omission I believe cost them that test.
The English need to prepare decks that don’t turn or Ashwin is going to have the last word in this series, he’s at the absolute top of his game.
I think it’s a matter of time before Burns gets a shot, he’s a damned good player.
There’s no doubt that these selectors are influenced by the commentary, not that I’m knocking that too much, when you have past captains and players giving their opinions they’re usually on point.
Brilliant fascinating test match. I’ve been telling you guys about Pope, I hope he fires, he’s a damned good player.
To get into that English side as a batsman is not easy, they are spoilt for choice.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Cook has to be close to the end. Just when you think he’s dead and buried he comes out with a big innings. I’d like to see Burns replace him, he’s a great bat and in the form of his life.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I'd be keeping Cook if I was England. They have had enough batting instability.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Cook and Haseeb Hameed should be their Test opening pair. Jennings looks to be another hack like Rockman and Vince James. I want to say Dawid Malan is too. Thats 4 guys England have played in Test match cricket with averages ranging from 25 to early 30s. That would be bad for a team like Sri Lanka or West Indies. For one of the Big 3 thats down right pathetic.

No wonder every team from Sri Lanka to Pakistan to West Indies manage to win Tests in England.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbot

Post by zimbot »

In an alternate reality, Mugabe resigned in the early eighties, Zimbabwe isn't a sh!thole and Sam Curran is having an excellent debut series for Zimbabwe.

This kid is a gun player

Googly

Post by Googly »

Burns is the right guy to open. I don’t know why they’re messing around.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Sam saved England today, the selection team for England really have no clue, or maybe the cupboard is bare??

Everyone is batting one spot too high and the side looks more like a limited overs side with all these allrounders

England's biggest problem right now is their top 3, Cook is past it he can't buy a score, Jennings has proven time after time he's not up to it and they haven't found a good No.3 since Trott gave it away.

Their middle order would actually be really good if they Root could bat 4, Bairstow 5 & Stokes 6. Butler seems to be doing well at 7 and Sam batting next @ 8 would be perfect for them. But they throw in Mooen Ali at 7 and push everybody up. I know Ali got a decent score last week but I don't understand how they thought Oli Pope was the right man last week, and now he's not?

England are a shambles and it's great to see :D
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem is they’re spoilt for choice in my opinion.
Selectors can’t make up their minds and discard some players without giving them adequate opportunity and others they persevere with. I guess it’s their prerogative, but goes to show selectors are numpties the world over.
I watched Bell-Drummond from Kent the other day (West Indian descent), damn he’s a good player. Ian Bell has just made a double. Surrey have Pope and Burns and now yet another youngster called Jamie Smith whom I predict is going to score big runs, seriously gifted kid.
Stoneman is back in the runs. You just have to google so many of these players and they’ve played U19, Lions etc and then often don’t even nail down a regular County gig, let alone higher honors, yet any one of them might have the ability to morph into a world class player if they were persevered with. I guess they see things differently to me.
This kid Tom Banton from Somerset is also a special talent, as is George Hankins. These guys could probably all do well internationally.
I don’t really understand it to be honest. The one thing you need as a cricketer is a thick skin and a strong mind.
There a guy called Gareth Harte, ex South African, who’s about 25 and has finally been signed by Durham. I’ve watched this guy many times and he’s some player. He could easily play internationally and yet has only just got a contract. He had unbelievable seasons with Sussex and Surrey Two’s, scoring big hundreds for fun, and yet they didn’t want him. It’s perplexing because he’s better than most guys I’ve seen in English FC and he persevered for 5 years before even getting a contract. I believe he was about to throw in the towel as well.
I will guarantee he would not disgrace himself on the international stage, he probably has a Zimbabwean connection somewhere as well.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yet they keep picking guys like Jennings and Vince who are crap.

The fact they’re thinking of going to Ian Bell shows they’re not confident with the younger guys.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah this England side don't look that good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)