Changes in Zimbabwe sealed deal: Butcher

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... -rf9e.html
ENOCK MUCHINJO
April 1, 2010 - 6:34AM

AP

New Zimbabwe cricket coach Alan Butcher said on Wednesday he took the job because of positive changes in the country.

A day after arriving in Harare to take up his new role, Butcher told The Associated Press he welcomed the challenge of coaching an international team and said there was an excitement about Zimbabwe cricket.

"Well, the first thing was the appeal of coaching an international side," the 56-year-old former England batsman said.

"But also because of the involvement of people I have great respect for in cricket, like Dave Houghton (Zimbabwe director of coaching)."

"I'd been to Zimbabwe three to four times before and enjoyed the country and the people. It was just an exciting job. From talking to people, it was clear that everyone was together and there was a lot of excitement about Zim cricket and the country as a whole. I saw it for myself when I came down for the interviews."

Butcher's first challenge is the World Twenty20 in West Indies, which begins on April 30. Zimbabwe is in the same group as Sri Lanka and New Zealand in the 12-team competition, and Butcher has just a month to make an impact.

"In the short term, my goal is to get to know the players because it's very easy to come and demand things and not understand why the players behave in a certain way," he said.

"I have a good opportunity to do that in the ICC World Twenty20. I want to find out what makes them tick."

Zimbabwe cricket has been boosted recently by the revamp of its domestic four-day competition, the launch of a new Twenty20 event and the return of former international players.

The long-term goal is a return to playing test cricket. Zimbabwe's political problems contributed to its withdrawal from the five-day format in 2006.

Houghton has come out in favour of an immediate return, while chairman of selectors Alistair Campbell favours an 18-month time frame.

"Both are right," Butcher said.

"Dave is keen on getting back as soon as possible. Essentially, if you wait longer, the players can still be the same in 18 months as they are now. If we play, we will know what is required.

"As for my take on that, I think I will have to hold it back until I see the players physically, mentally and technically."

Butcher, who was fired as coach of English county side Surrey in 2008, begins his three-year contract with Zimbabwe on Thursday.

© 2010 AP

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Changes in Zimbabwe sealed deal: Butcher

Post by sloandog »

Let the good times role :)
I've got a very good feeling about Alan Butcher. I hope he contributes well to our national side