ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, Zimbabwe : Squads

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, Zimbabwe : Squads

Post by Black Mamba »

Cricket Ireland became the first team out of ten to release the squad for the upcomming ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018 to be held in Zimbabwe.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/9997 ... qualifiers

Team 1 :

Ireland squad:

William Porterfield (c), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Ed Joyce, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Gary Wilson

Side looking strong with the return of Boyd Rankin. Improved pace attack with youths like Chase, McCarthy and experienced Tim Murtagh. James Shanon, middle order batsman is the new face, with very impressive first class Stats.

Title Won : Once in 2009

Performance in ICC World Cup Qualifiers :

Got Defeated against Scotland in the final and became Runners up in ICC World Cup Qualifier 2005,hosted by the country itself

Won the Title once, defeating Canada in the final
of ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2009 hosted by South Africa

Recent Performance :

1) Odi 2-1 Series victory over Afghanistan in UAE. first odi series win after getting test status.

2) Tri nation series win in UAE that featured Scotland and host UAE, winning all the four odis

Black Mamba

Re: ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, Zimbabwe : Squads

Post by Black Mamba »

Cricket Hong Kong announced the 15 men Squad for the upcomming ICC World Cup Qualifiers - March 2018

http://www.hkcricket.org/en/media/news/ ... march-2018

Team 2 :

Hong Kong Squad

Babar Hayat (c),Anshuman Rath,Nizakat Khan,Scott McKechnie,Simandeep Singh,Ahsan Ali Abbasi,Ehsan Khan,
Aizaz Khan,Tanwir Afzal,Ehsan Nawaz,Nadeem Ahmed,Tanveer Ahmed,Christopher Carter,Shahid Wasif,Waqas Barkat

No place for star Batsman James Atkinson,Mark Chapman & fast bowler Irfan Ahmed, however leg spinner Waqas Barkat is back

Title Won : No

Hong Kong appeared 7times in ICC World Cup Qualifiers starting from 1982.They were not a part of 2005 & 2009 Qualifiers. As per their records, they were eliminated from Group Stage in most of the previous qualifiers. In 1994 & 1997 they managed to move to the second round.

However, the best from Hong Kong came in 2014 qualifiers in New Zealand, where they finished 3rd and gained odi status.

Recent Performances :

Hong Kong, Papua New Guinea & Kenya were all close to make into the qualifiers 2018 directly but there were two spots, PNG & Hong Kong Secured that two spot.

In recently concluded 2015–17 ICC World Cricket League Championship, Hong Kong won games over Papua New Guinea twice in UAE and finalized their spot in ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, to be played in Zimbabwe

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I think it's really bad that Hong Kong have ODI status when they can't produce home grown players. So many expats in that side

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I reckon the West Indies (just) and the Irish will get through.
I'm not a pessimist but I am a realist, and I just think our batting is simply too fragile to stand up when it counts.
The Irish like a fight, and rarely do they lack grit when they play, so they'll be as tough as anybody to play against.

Please, fellas, make me eat humble pie.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t want to contemplate not qualifying.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I'm going with Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. Would really like to see how the Irish do because last time they were in Zim they were so poor in the game I watched live. These are foreign conditions to most of these teams besides Afghanistan who are there every year. On our day I know we can beat all those teams coming.

The rain is going to wash away a few games for sure.. that's going to be really heart breaking for some..

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 am
I think it's really bad that Hong Kong have ODI status when they can't produce home grown players. So many expats in that side
Yeah I reckon.

A couple of years back the Sixers in the BBl recruited a chink legspinner from Hong Kong on one of the developing contracts. Where is he?

This tells me one and a half things;
1. That the multicultural development spot is so meaningless that the one guy from Hong Kong who had a BBL spot can’t even make his native HONG KONG team!
1.5 what does that say about Mires BBL position a few years back? Since he was on the same contract, just with the ‘gades.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am
I'm going with Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. Would really like to see how the Irish do because last time they were in Zim they were so poor in the game I watched live. These are foreign conditions to most of these teams besides Afghanistan who are there every year. On our day I know we can beat all those teams coming.

The rain is going to wash away a few games for sure.. that's going to be really heart breaking for some..
I'd like to say Afghanistan but in Zimbabwe, especially Harare and Queens, batters will be the main component of a successful side due to the flatness of our decks. Afghanistan and Zimbabwe I think have decent bowling attacks, but their batting line ups are so very up and down.

With Ireland, you have experienced, dependable, seasoned performers in Joyce, Porterfield, O'Brian etc, plus their bowling is solid.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We will be in the most important tournament ever and all three games are in Byo? Surely we get to decide, or did they think Byo conditions most benefitted us?

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

The selection committee of Cricket West Indies (CWI) announced 15 man squad for ICC World Cup qualifiers which is scheduled to commence on 4th March in Zimbabwe. The team has been placed in Group A alongside Ireland, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea and the 2018's ICC World Cricket League Division 2 winners (to be determined).

https://m.sportskeeda.com/cricket/cwi-a ... fier-squad

Team 3 :

Windies Squad :

Jason Holder (captain), Jason Mohammed,Devendra Bishoo, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cotterell, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Nikita Miller, Ashley Nurse, Rovman Powell, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Kesrick Williams.

Windies being an experienced and strong side compared to other nine teams are expected to start as favourites of the tournament. Team looks mixture of youth and experienced players. However, Windies will miss the services of stars like Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Darren Bravo and Andre Russell.Chris Gayle, Marlon Samuels are the two stars, Windies will watch for, specially Gayle for his aggressive batting.

Evin Lewis, Shai Hope, Jason Mohammad, Under 19 star Shimron Hetmyer are some talented batsman. Rovman Powell has a great skill of hitting. Kemer Roach, Sheldron Cotterell makes come back. Spin attack looks strong with Nurse, Miller and Bishoo

Title Won : First time Windies will play the qualifiers in the history of cricket

Two time 50 Overs World Cup Champion Windies will be taking part first time in the Qualifiers since, they failed to be in top 8 ICC Odi Rankings as per cut off date 30th September, 2017.

Recent Performance :

1) Last time Windies won an odi series was back in 2014 against Bangladesh

2) Since 2014 odi series win over Bangladesh, Windies have lost 12 odi series, with 1-1 draw against Afghans and one match odi series abandoned against Ireland due to rain

3) Windies are having tough time and will be in the qualifiers with poor stats recently in 2017 with 3-1 series loss against India, 4-0 in England and 3-0 in New Zeakand