Zimbos in UK 2018 Season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Zimbos in UK 2018 Season

Post by Jemisi »

Rising stars in Ind would be great. They will find enough opponents at the right levels.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Is Zim still sanctioned against playing cricket in England?
It’s on most cricketers’ wish list to have a stint in County, there’s so much history, and the same applies to the club cricket. It’s a wonderful experience playing at the club and county grounds, many of which a hundred years old and more. The folk there are extremely knowledgeable as well, the real boffins are called badgers and can reel off stats that will just make you keep quiet and listen to their knowledge. The Two’s games are particularly interesting, there are always a few dozen retired gents that watch the games, many actually take their own scorebooks and they get autographs from some of the guys that they think may have a future. Cricket is just part of their culture and it’s good to revel in it.
You’re right in that there are probably better options for us financially and games in India would be equally beneficial, but if I were to pick it would be England, then possibly Australia where it’s probably the toughest cricket in the world.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A good test case will be this Muyeye kid at Eastboune. He’s got a lot of potential, particularly at T20. He has absolutely no claim to any English heritage so we will see how far he goes. He’s also in a small county so his path will possibly be easier into County two’s.
He’s got two years to make his mark, and the most realistic path is if he does well academically so he can extend his chances by doing a three year degree. That takes him to five years, which will make him England qualified, but no passport as that’s at least 7 years.
Ed Byrom is the only one that’s cracked it, but he did have an Irish passport. Without that it’s a monumental task that will suck the life blood out of anybody.
Huchu was a good cricketer, but he didn’t come close to county cricket, Muyeye is better though so let’s see.
Brad Evans has followed the path I outlined and is at Uni, has played a number of County twos games with good returns and is doing very well in the Uni cricket. It’s been a real struggle for him and he’s hung in against a lot of odds. I see a lot of parents think England is an option, but your kid has to be damned good and strong minded because they don’t roll out the red carpet.
Before Nick Welch’s big innings last week he was probably on his last shot and was a second from cricketing oblivion. He’s given himself a lifeline with two very good innings, but he’s going to have to back it up with at least three or four more big hundreds before end of season to be considered. At a push Surrey may offer him a summer contract next year if he finishes the season with at least half a dozen hundreds. If you get twenty 90’s you may as well have gotten 20 ducks, only three figure scores count.
You just have to see the bowlers they face and on shit decks to understand how difficult it is to make hundreds. The reality is you need a good dose of luck.
Much depends on their squad reshuffle at end of year as well. Surrey have an unbelievable squad on paper, and they already have 5 extremely gifted youngsters, do they need a sixth? I doubt. He will also probably go the Uni route to give himself another lifeline and hope a county picks him up. One option would be if he had a huge innings and the opposition were interested. That opportunity came and went with Gloucestershire. They’ve got Hankins not making Ones regularly and he’s an unbelievable player. This is a tough school.
Where would he bat in Surrey Ones? They’ve got Stoneman, Roy, Patel, an overseas of the caliber of Elgar, Kohli or Sangakarra, then they’ve got Pope, Jacks... the list of quality batters is scary.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Byrom hasn't done much this season really, his chances have been somewhat limited after Somerset signed Matty Renshaw as their overseas player. Still rate him, it hasn't been a great year.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

NickG
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by NickG »

The problem with selecting any other country than England for the RS is that it won't be during their cricket season. This is the main reason England was selected - along with Taibu's links etc it was the sheer volume of matches and opposition that they could experience in a short space of time, as well as access to excellent facilities. RS players and coaches have, during interview, referenced the number of games they played as being a key factor in the side's subsequent success.

Not that we should be concerned about the RS any more, I think that ship has sailed now...

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sailed sounds so romantic. Sunk is more apt

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Trescothick will retire this year. Either that or die of old age, he’s 42. Byrom will get his shot hopefully. My worry is that Banton boy. He’s a superstar in waiting, but could bat 3,4 or 5. Ed is an ideal opener, which is a very specialized spot.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Wow trescothicks still around at county?

One player I wouldn’t have thought that would outlast his peers
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

He’s sitting out today and Ed is opening with Renshaw tomorrow, facing Ricki Clarke and Morne Morkel.
I’ve just been watching a live stream of the game. This Pope lad is some player. He’ll get an England call fairly soon, makes batting look easy, averaging in the 70’s and gets out every 101 balls.
Verdi may also get the nod fairly soon, meaning that England could field a side with 3 twenty year olds. Bizarre but true.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you watch Byrom and Trescothick bat together you can only tell them apart by their physiques. Their batting styles are virtually identical.