Zimbos in UK 2018 Season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbos in UK 2018 Season

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am
I haven’t really seen enough of him to have an opinion.
He’s got some decent bowling stats and can clout a ball, but that’s all I really know.
I thought he was part of this Rising Stars tour??
Either he’s pulled out of it or it means it’s no longer happening.
Either way not great.

The Rising Stars looked very organised last summer

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Out of curiosity, how is it that white cricketers tend to be able to find more opportunities abroad opposed to young black cricketers? Has it got something to do with their passport, perhaps? Lake, King, Evans, Welch, Byrom, Snater, Burl...they all managed to either study abroad or play cricket abroad with relative ease.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Lake was in Uni.

Isn't the rising stars based in Liverpool? Got a feeling he is part of it. Just like Burl had a club

Googly

Post by Googly »

County twos is incredibly hard to crack with any regularity. It’s comprised of their extended squad, academy boys and the odd trialist. ECB gives them money if their academy lads sign a contract so they persevere with them even if a better guy comes along. For a non local or non EU passport holder to get more than the odd trial is practically impossible, even if they do well

Googly

Post by Googly »

Most of those you mentioned either have another passport or they were at school or uni.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am
County twos is incredibly hard to crack with any regularity. It’s comprised of their extended squad, academy boys and the odd trialist. ECB gives them money if their academy lads sign a contract so they persevere with them even if a better guy comes along. For a non local or non EU passport holder to get more than the odd trial is practically impossible, even if they do well
Yea my cousin plays for Derbyshire 2's and he said it took him almost two seasons of averaging 50 with the bat in the Liverpool Comp to get a sniff. I know players of serious class (I mean serious class like Josh Tolley) who can't get a gig. People who know the Liverpool Comp like LJR will attest that the standard is very high, easily as high as the GMCL. That's why I was asking you if you think he had a chance of cracking the county 2's system, due to the competitive nature.

The Rising Stars is based in and around the Warrington area, so yea not too far from Liverpool..actually yea, that makes sense. Maybe he's sorted a club out for his time with the academy, much like Ryan Burl did with Heywood CC

Googly

Post by Googly »

Snater obviously has a Dutch passport, I think King plays in Ireland and obviously they are more lenient than the English. There are some exceptional youngsters in England, their game is going from strength to strength. It’s almost a no go area, you’re not getting there after school and breaking into their system, it’s never going to happen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think it makes a big difference what club you play for. You are not likely to get a look-in to a County game unless you’re playing Prem, or Div 1.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s a lot of who you know as well. There are literally dozens of good cricketers that could become pro’s if they were given the opportunities others were given. The problem is when you get a county trial having played Club you’re highly unlikely to make an impression, particularly as a batsman, it’s a whole new level, and how are you going to prepare for it?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am
There’s a lot of who you know as well.
Well, yea, I was going to say this as well.

One of the best examples that I can give you of a 'it's who you know' scenario is the current Lancashire wicket keeper Alex Davies; currently plays for the England Lions.

I trialed with him from 12 years old upwards with Lancashire, and he was never anything special, just a gobby little shit who had an ego. His uncle was the chief selector (a real smart ass) and people knew he was always incredibly bias towards Alex. Across the trials he literally didn't score a run one summer. He registered 5 ducks and i remember him dropping some sitters through the trial games, yet he was still selected above kids with natural ability. Because he was picked, he has the coaching, the facilities and the environment for success, hence his rapid development. Would he have been where he is today had he not been picked by his uncle? No. Is he a damn good player now? Hell yes. Proof that good coaching and a solid cricketing infastructure can help in the development of below average cricketers.