Vusi Sibanda interview

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Vusi Sibanda interview

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 am
Great summary jaybro, thanks for that.
Thanks CA always a pleasure never a chore :D
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

So vusi what are your future plans are you going to go into coaching and one. Last thing Asante sana .

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think the numbers game is what kills us. We just don't have enough people playing the game. Bangladesh and Afghanistan beat us there. Even Ireland although their population is much smaller. Our participation levels are extremely low..

The short term goal would be to get competitive and hang on for now. Our 20/30 year goal should be rural development to increase our player base. People forget how long these other countries struggled for to become competitive test nations. In fact our record isn't the worst after 100 tests. That says a lot about how long it takes to get competitive coz we only won like 11 out of 100.

I also like the conversation about what exactly our home conditions are. We need to establish that and run with it. You have to create a home fortress first then venture out. Just like what Bangladesh have been doing. This whole business of trying to prepare a pitch the opposition struggles means we will never have an identity.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If we can’t get competitive soccer going in rural areas how do you propose to get cricket up and running?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 am
If we can’t get competitive soccer going in rural areas how do you propose to get cricket up and running?
I guess the only advantage cricket has is that Zimbabwe are a top-ten team internationally and actually play big opposition from time-to-time. The Zimbabwe soccer team will never be all that competitive on a global scale.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

This is my big bug bear, sends me doolally.
There are handfuls of government schools that used to play cricket that no longer even play and whose grounds no longer even exist, probably the most relevant one is Churchill. Until a few years ago there were a couple of boys on scholarship and they fielded teams yet had no home grounds. Surely to God resurrecting cricket at Churchill and a handful of other government schools is a priority way way before handing out cricket gear in Muzarabani?? When I see this I know ZC are not serious about anything. For the last time- fix cricket in the 6 schools that do actually play passable cricket, because if it dies at the top, what have we got left?

tawac

Post by tawac »

What Churchill no longer playing cricket? Thats impossible. I remember Nigel Phillip was always in top shape hosting club games even.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

No they play, but their grounds are non existent for both rugby and cricket. I know in rugby at St George’s, St Johns and Peter House if those guys are playing another team other than Churchill often they will have a double header with Churchill against their opposition in the game before, I’ve not heard of a cricket game there for many years. I will try and find out the latest regarding their facilities, but the school is in terrible condition. I know that there were a lot of problems with over age players and instances of players that weren’t even schoolboys turning out for the school. This sounds like a wild exaggeration, but is the God’s honest truth. In 2013 we recognized a couple of FC players in the Churchill team at the St George’s T20 festival, and even then they failed to make the knockouts. You read that correctly.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Doesn't think Burl should be in the squad.

Names him in his starting 11.

tawac

Post by tawac »

Googly wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 pm
No they play, but their grounds are non existent for both rugby and cricket. I know in rugby at St George’s, St Johns and Peter House if those guys are playing another team other than Churchill often they will have a double header with Churchill against their opposition in the game before, I’ve not heard of a cricket game there for many years. I will try and find out the latest regarding their facilities, but the school is in terrible condition. I know that there were a lot of problems with over age players and instances of players that weren’t even schoolboys turning out for the school. This sounds like a wild exaggeration, but is the God’s honest truth. In 2013 we recognized a couple of FC players in the Churchill team at the St George’s T20 festival, and even then they failed to make the knockouts. You read that correctly.
royal cricket club‏ @RoyalCricketclu · 22 Sep 2017
Royal cricket club fixture

24 September 2017

Royal vs Rainbow

venue:Churchil boys high

Thats a picture of the Rainbow Cricket Club at the Pavilion at Churchill Boys High only last year. Will pass through the school the next time I'm in Harare. I heard the standards dropped a lot. But for the school to fold its sports department would be a new low. Its the only school that give good contest to the white schools back when there were white schools.
Attachments
Rainbow.jpg
Rainbow.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'