Zhuwao Maina

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Zhuwao Maina

Post by Mueddie28 »

Zhuwao knocks hard on cricket selectors’ door
- February 4, 2018
DESPITE the selectors ignoring him for the Afghanistan series, where they preferred Ryan Burl, Cephas Zhuwao continued to knock hard on the door for notice after another brilliant piece of batting inspired Zimbabwe A to a seven-wicket win over Kenya A in the third of their four-match one-day series at Mutare Sports Club yesterday.

BY Sports Reporter

Zhuwao followed up his century in the first match and the half ton in the second with a 20-ball 46 as Zimbabwe chased down a winning target of 146 in 24.5 overs.

The hosts won the toss and elected to field before they bowled out the tourists for 145 in 49 overs, with Brendon Mavuta taking three wickets, while Tino Mutombodzi and Chris Mpofu had two apiece.

Richard Ngarava and Donald Tiripano claimed two scalps each.

Zhuwao opened the batting with Chamu Chibhabha, who only managed six runs, as he continues a bad run of form, which is jeorpadising his chances of forcing his way into the squad for the World Cup qualifiers that will be played in Zimbabwe next month.

Zhuwao has been a reliable source of entertainment this series and yesterday he did not disappoint as he thrashed six fours and heaved two maximums on his way to his total.

Brian Vitori and Burl both travelled to Dubai, where they will join the national team for the Afghanistan series and the decision to exclude Zhuawo

zimbos_05

Re: Zhuwao Maina

Post by zimbos_05 »

Again, what do we stand to lose by bringing these guys in and giving them a chance.

Googly

Post by Googly »

These sports reporters never report independently here. They basically get told what to say, so it would appear that there’s a rift developing.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Good on him for knocking on doors. Exactly what we need and he'll definitely be in the mix after the WC qualifiers. (especially if we don't qualify).

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 am
These sports reporters never report independently here. They basically get told what to say, so it would appear that there’s a rift developing.
Yup after the 3rd One Day game I saw on social media a lot of journalists openly questioning the selection criteria. A storm is coming if we don't qualify because they can easily get the attention of the wrong people if they write negative articles. ZC is a multi-million dollar institution. There are people in the shadows who want in on this action and they will use this.

It's not just about the PJs and Wallers. Vitori is also very controversial. One of the guys was on radio talking about how Vitori still chucks if he is leaking runs. If he gets called again it will all be on Streak and Taibu.

Somebody also pointed out that Sean Williams was supposed to be in the UAE so why couldn't his slot be given to somebody else. A lot of questions here

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am

Somebody also pointed out that Sean Williams was supposed to be in the UAE so why couldn't his slot be given to somebody else. A lot of questions here
That question is still open. Normally a squad of 15 tours, why only the 14 for this tour. We have 7 matches to play. If someone comes down with a bug or something we could really find ourselves quite short.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Fans, Reporters should come out of dreams, Kenya is a division 2 side now, Zhuwao had less success against quality attack, it will be a big gamble if team is pressurized to take Zhuwao

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

It was probably too costly to send a replacement as the last minute pricings of flights could be very high? This could just be a desperate cost cutting measure to not send a replacement, given the financial situation we are in...

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am
It was probably too costly to send a replacement as the last minute pricings of flights could be very high? This could just be a desperate cost cutting measure to not send a replacement, given the financial situation we are in...
Hmmmm... seriously doubt if that holds water. Remember the team traveled to Bangladesh in two batches. Which was a last minute thing. No prior bookings were ever made. And I think Williams' injury consciences have been none for quite a while. No excuses there.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

tawac wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am
Hmmmm... seriously doubt if that holds water. Remember the team traveled to Bangladesh in two batches. Which was a last minute thing. No prior bookings were ever made. And I think Williams' injury consciences have been none for quite a while. No excuses there.
Williams was known to fly out till last Tuesday when he broke his finger. Not an injury known for a long time. They would have booked 3 tickets and probably decided to just salvage whatever they could from the last minute cancellation of his, and sent the other two. Plausible. We were already shafted by the BCB changing the dates late, so we would have doled out extra money there too, most likely, to get our team to be in BD in time for that series.