[Match thread] 1st ODI Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [Match thread] 1st ODI Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Post by eugene »

eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:30 pm
I predict Zimbabwe to be dismissed for 180 or so.
Only 1 run off.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 pm
We should remember that Afghanistan recently lost an ODI series to Ireland in Sharjah. Afghanistan are decent, but nothing more.
This is exactly where my frustration comes from. If our best players played to the best of their ability then we would not be losing by such margins.

If Hami has to retire then you might as well add Taylor to that. Both are class acts who got out playing stupid shots

Googly

Post by Googly »

I agree with what you say about them not taking Tari and Burl, but I think Burl gets the nod ahead of Tari on account of him being a Leftie and providing a bowling option. These guys are the best we’ve got and they have huge capacity to improve, let’s see how they go in the next few, but it is depressing.
Wrist spinners seem to be causing problems everywhere.
I still back Burl to come right.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm
I agree with what you say about them not taking Tari and Burl, but I think Burl gets the nod ahead of Tari on account of him being a Leftie and providing a bowling option. These guys are the best we’ve got and they have huge capacity to improve, let’s see how they go in the next few, but it is depressing.
Wrist spinners seem to be causing problems everywhere.
I still back Burl to come right.
I wouldn't mind them dropping PJ for Tari.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Isn't Zhuwao a leftie as Well? When it comes to technique I don't see much technique when Mire plays but he makes it work and he was given a chance

Googly

Post by Googly »

The consensus amongst the folk who supposedly know what they’re talking about is that he will struggle at the next level. There’s no doubt he should have been given a shot in the T20’s, they really missed a trick there. It would have been the right place to see if he would cope.
Solly really is a good player, he looks perfectly at home in that environment, but keeps playing one big shot too many, but he’s got a great eye and techically he’s not too bad- I’ve only seen him a couple of times.
I suspect Cephas is a poor man’s Solly.
Whilst the opening slot is probably the most demanding they do get to usually avoid the spinners for at least 10 overs.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yes he probably should get a chance. I think he possibly also plays too many shots. That sounds counter intuitive, but in 50 over stuff you have to be a little more circumspect. There’s Burl, Tari, Moor, Waller- none of whom are really putting their hands up. In fairness Tari hasn’t been given enough chance and should have been given more opportunity before now. They’ve kinda run out of time to experiment, and it’s been poor timing on the selectors’ part. Does anyone know who they are exactly?
Clearly Tatenda is the Convenor, and Heath has a say, but who else has an input?

afghankhan

Post by afghankhan »

Just a few thoughts on what I have observed while watching the games so far.

Zimbabwe is not showing fight. I don't see emotions or a desire to win. When we play Ireland I usually hate their players and they provoke strong emotions in me, but that is simply not the case with Zimbabwe. They body language is so dull.

The other thing is how in hell is it possible for a bowler to bowl 3 no balls in 1 over? Or was it 4, don't remember. All sorts, height and overstepping.. And Chatara was not the only one dishing out freehits. Certainly looked fishy.

The other thing might be Zim is letting Afghanistan win so when Afghanistan meet them in the qualifiers(the game worth more then 5-0 series win) afg will take it easy and then Zim will show their real strength and win that important game :P

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I get that there might be doubts but until you somebody a fair run you can never know whether somebody is good enough or not.

I fully get it but it's just not fair that PJ and Waller get so many chances but you can't give others a chance. That's what bothers me. What do you lose giving domestic players a chance? I mean how do the likes of Mutombodzi Zhuwao etc feel seeing Murray get a flight when they worked their ass off? Murray has a lot of talent but we need processes. Just like how Blessing was a questionable decision even tho I supported it. Once domestic players who are earning peanuts lose motivation we are finished..

We can't forget that. We can't say somebody who scored 260 odd runs in an innings is not good enough. If it was so easy why didn't the young guys like Burl and Tari do it? If scoring against Kenya was so easy why didn't Burl and Tari score centuries? It's just not fair. There is no way of justifying that and I promise you it is going to haunt the current admin in the next few months. A revolt is coming. It's already started behind the scenes. If we fail to qualify streak and Taibu are done.

Imagine somebody based in England deciding you are not good enough yet he doesn't watch all your games? It's ridiculous if you think about it. He can't have it both ways.. somebody can easily blame this discord between the domestic and national front on Taibu not being there. He either needs to move here or resign.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm
eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 pm
We should remember that Afghanistan recently lost an ODI series to Ireland in Sharjah. Afghanistan are decent, but nothing more.
This is exactly where my frustration comes from. If our best players played to the best of their ability then we would not be losing by such margins.

If Hami has to retire then you might as well add Taylor to that. Both are class acts who got out playing stupid shots
At this rate BT should almost be dropped now. If Zimbabwe fail to qualify for the World Cup and BT doesn't score big in the tournament I think it is time to say good bye to him. Murray is probably the better investment at this point.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes