[Match thread] 1st ODI Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

[Match thread] 1st ODI Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Post by jaybro »

Always the optimist I'm expecting a better showing from Zimbabwe in the 50 over format, I just can't see any of the Afghanistan batsman who actually look like good batsman apart Shah & Nabi so I'm hoping in a longer format our bowlers will do more damage and our batsman who have more time to build their innings will be more effective.

I'm probably wrong and we'll probably get pumped but lets wait and see.

Late start here on the East Coast of Australia 9:30pm start I'll have to get an afternoon nap in to stay up for the game :lol:

No preview from cricinfo but there is a brief one on cricbuzz
With the ICC World Cup Qualifiers in Zimbabwe less than a month away, there's plenty of pressure on the teams gearing up for the tournament. While Zimbabwe have already kicked off their preparations with the tri-series in Bangladesh, Afghanistan were forced to take a month-long break with no cricket coming their way.

After the 2-0 win in the two-match Twenty20 International series over Zimbabwe, Afghanistan will be buoyed ahead of the five-match ODI series and the all-important tournament. However, this series also happens to be their last shot at ironing out all the rough edges before they take on the likes of Windies, Ireland, Scotland and their current opponents. With just two teams qualifying for the World Cup in 2019, it'll be crucial for teams to play their perfect game and leave nothing to chance.

Zimbabwe should take heart from their performance in Bangladesh where they managed to trounce Sri Lanka but then failed to recover quickly from their mistakes while suffering three defeats. The biggest challenge for them, on this tour as well, will be to find a quick fix to tackle the spin arsenal Afghanistan are going to attack them with. Rashid Khan and Mohammad Nabi are both experienced campaigners while all eyes will be on Mujeeb Zadran and how he handles the pressure of playing at the highest level. He has played three ODIs and two T20Is and there are plenty of promising signs already. The more experience he can get, the better it'll be for him and the team.

Afghanistan will also need Mohammad Shahzad to find his form soon. After serving a one-year ban for doping violations, he returned in the T20I series but could score just 20 and 17 in the two games.

What to expect: Pleasant conditions will welcome the teams for the contest and a full game is expected. The preceding T20I series saw moderate scores and conditions are expected to stay the same. The batsmen will have to work hard for their runs.

Team news:

Afghanistan:

After the two wins in T20Is, it's unlikely they'll tinker with the combination, and will look to field the same core.

Zimbabwe:

The visitors have included Brian Vitori in the squad who was allowed to resume bowling in international cricket last month after working on his action. He picked up three wickets playing for Zimbabwe A against Kenya and would look to put the tough few months behind him.

What they said:

"Shahzad is an experienced player and has been part of the national side for the past eight years. His return will strengthen the batting line-up and because he is also excellent behind the stumps, his inclusion will give us more options and we will not have to play a separate opener and a wicketkeeper" - Asghar Stanikzai.

"Brendan and Kyle have settled nicely into the squad and they have been welcomed by all the team members. They form an important part of our team's make-up, and we are hoping that they will play to the best of their abilities on this tour and in the qualifier" - Graeme Cremer.
Teams:
Zimbabwe (From): Hamilton Masakadza, Solomon Mire, Brendan Taylor(w), Sikandar Raza, Malcolm Waller, Ryan Burl, Peter Moor, Graeme Cremer(c), Kyle Jarvis, Tendai Chatara, Blessing Muzarabani, Brian Vitori, Tendai Chisoro, Craig Ervine
Afghanistan (From): Mohammad Shahzad(w), Najibullah Zadran, Asghar Stanikzai(c), Rahmat Shah, Mohammad Nabi, Samiullah Shenwari, Gulbadin Naib, Dawlat Zadran, Rashid Khan, Shapoor Zadran, Javed Ahmadi, Ihsanullah Janat, Nasir Jamal, Mujeeb Zadran, Sharafuddin Ashraf
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Re: [Match thread] 1st ODI Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Post by jaybro »

Interested to see which side we put out

I wonder if Ervine was recovered from his flu

for me

Mire
Hami
Ervine
BT
Burl
Raza
Waller
Cremer
KJ
Blessing
Chatara
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Same order up to number 8, then I would change things around.

Rest Blessing and play Vitori first and foremost.

Then, depending on the pitch, play Chisoro ahead of one of Jarvis or Chatara. I just think spin is the way to go and the more pace on the ball the better.
The kid doesn't seem to have a lot going on upstairs from what I've seen; bowling length will just disappear.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Definitely Ervine in for Moor.

Maybe Vitori for Blessing. But I'd be happy to give the bloke another go.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 pm

The kid doesn't seem to have a lot going on upstairs from what I've seen; bowling length will just disappear.
Afghans don't have the batting skill to make the ball "disappear".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Anyways, rooting for the Afghan boys...I hope they go at least one better and take this one 4-1, if not 5-0 (they have far too many collapses to even go for 4-1, but here's to hoping).

This could be an extremely close and hard fought series. Perfect warmup for the big dance. 5 games before the all important encounter in the WCQ. Should be a terrific series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This is going to be a cringeworthy series for fans from both sides with wins going to the team that makes relatively less number of mistakes, basically. Don't expect "quality".
jaybro wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:20 pm
I just can't see any of the Afghanistan batsman who actually look like good batsman apart Shah & Nabi
Najibullah Zadran is not bad at all. But that's about it I guess.

Fully expecting Ervine to show his class after that much needed mental break during the T20Is.

Win the toss and bowl first? Because we do better chasing, plus there is the dew factor. If we bat first, we should have a more sensible target of 220 in mind instead of going hammer and tongs for 275-280 to begin with. Anything above 200 will test the temperament of the Afghan batting line up.

Nanctus

Post by Nanctus »

I'd prefer to have a bowling attack of:

Cremer
Chisoro
Jarvis
Chatara

With Zim's habit of collapsing Chisoro is a boost at 9, plus he can keep it tight. If Jarvis and Chatara bowl like they did in the 2nd T20, Afghanistan's batsmen are going to have to go after Cremer and Raza which will hopefully mean wickets. But I wouldn't mind seeing Vitori play either, they need to go off the conditions. If they're going in with two pacers, I wouldn't want to use Vitori cause he hasn't played at international level for so long (vs Kenya isn't really the same as a full member) and if he has a bad game 10 overs will be hard to fill... but I guess Streak and co. have seen him in the nets so IDK.

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

The odds are 1:3 in favour of Afghanistan are we that terrible .

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Better to accept, Zimbabwe doesn't have quality to face this Afghan side, and are struggling since 2014 when they were inexperienced, now these players have become stars after representing and performing in various T20 leagues around the World.

There is a wide gap now in terms of quality between Zimbabwe and Afghans. Though, i predicted Zimbabwe win the series, seeing how Irish faced them with a plan, making Afghans spinners looks flat, its tough as none of the Zim players looked comfortable against spin.