Vision 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Vision 2023

Post by Jemisi »

Yes - but let's see some domestic hundreds out of them hey?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 am
My biggest gripe about Tari is that after 75 first class matches he’s never reached 3 figures
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

75? he's played 21.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Yes indeed, by "investing in them" I did not mean free ticket to national teams :). But yes, good quality coaching from wherever we can source, must be provided to these two guys at the very least. Could be sending them to an academy in Aus like we had done with Kasteni, Regis and others in the last decade, some such thing.
Jemisi wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am
75? he's played 21.
I think he means 75 innings across List A and FC.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Yep

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm
Jemisi wrote:
Yes indeed, by "investing in them" I did not mean free ticket to national teams :). But yes, good quality coaching from wherever we can source, must be provided to these two guys at the very least. Could be sending them to an academy in Aus like we had done with Kasteni, Regis and others in the last decade, some such thing.
Jemisi wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am
75? he's played 21.
Kasteni and Regis probably aren't the best advertisements for sending players to offshore academies.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Yeah that's what i meant
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Basil

Post by Basil »

eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm
With Zimbabwe unlikely to trouble the scorers at the 2019 World Cup Qualifying tournament, I feel it is clearly time to call it a day with much of the old guard, yes some of them may be the best we currently have, but planning for 2023 needs to start now, particularly given how sporadic our cricket can be. There are going to be rough times ahead with a young team, but we know the current generation aren't good enough whereas the talent of the younger players is as of yet undetermined.

These are some of the big-name players who should be deemed surplus to requirements:
Hamilton Masakadza (34), Chamu Chibhabha (31), Vusi Sibanda (34), Brendan Taylor (32), Sean Williams (31), Elton Chigumbura (31), Malcolm Waller (33), Regis Chakabva (30), Tinsahe Panyangara (32), Christopher Mpofu (32)

Experienced players to keep around:
Graeme Cremer (31) - growing into the captaincy and is generally our best bowler of any discipline.
Craig Ervine (32) - probably personal favoritism, but we need to keep some experience in the team and he is the best candidate in the middle order. Needs to be given a much shorter leash by the selectors however.
Sikandar Raza (31) - probably our leading player of the last year, never lacks passion.
Peter Moor (27) - probably not good enough, but young enough to not cast-off altogether
Kyle Jarvis (28) - a source of disagreement among fans, I think Jarvis for the most part has performed well since his return.
Tendai Chisoro (29) - why is he not selected every match?
Solomon Mire (28) - I think he has more to offer if he bats down the order and bowls more

Young players to focus on:
Ryan Murray (19), Blessing Muzarabani (21), Wellington Masakadza (24), Tendai Chatara (26), Richard Ngarava (20), Carl Mumba (22), Neville Madziva (26), Tary Musakanda (23), Solomon Mire (28), Brandon Mavuta (20), Ryan Burl (23), Milton Shumba (17), Wesley Madhevere (17), Jayden Schadendorf (19)

Young players to bring back to ZC on elite contracts:
Nick Welch (20), Eddie Byrom (20)
You ommit Liam Roche the best U19 player in Zim so far, Dion Myers, Greg Dollar, Alister Frost, Brendan Sly, Jeremy Ives, William Mashinge, Innicent Kaia, Nathan Waller, Shaun Snyder, Adam Keefe, Magarira, Kamunhukamwe, Struan Gordon Moore,, Johnathan Collony