Vision 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Vision 2023

Post by Googly »

A lot of guys play franchise not because they get well paid,nor for the love of the game, but because they need desperately what little money they get when they occasionally get it. If for example the economy picked up and guys could find real jobs you’d find people quitting because franchise salaries are barely survivable, in fact I don’t know how they do it. An improved economy would find ZC competing with business for employees, as it stands now they have a captive pool of players.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 am
I don’t think the up and coming guys you’re talking about, Eugene, are going to adequately replace the Old War Horses you’re wanting to put to pasture. It will be more of the same. Actually less of the same.
I know people are saying if those youngsters had had the same exposure as some of the other guys they’d be better, but I don’t think so. I rate Mumba, Murray, Burl and Tari, I think there’s material to work with, but they have a mountain to climb. I don’t think the others are close, just my opinion. There are some decent players, but to be able to compete on the international stage is a big ask. We’re in miracle territory and we’re going to have to resign ourselves to being middle of tier 2 pretty soon. It doesn’t end there, unless things change dramatically that’s going to be temporary as well.
We’ve talked about older national players who will be looking at stepping aside in the not too distant future, but what happens when a bigger bunch of guys quit franchise as well? Then the shit is so deep we need a snorkel.
They may not adequately replace the old guard, but we don't know that for sure. We already know the old guard aren't good enough so what choice do we have? Persist with the old guard that have failed, or discover what we really have in the youngsters? And yes, Mutombodzi should definitely be in the mix.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I’m with you eugene but it can’t just be a straight chop, otherwise you have another rebel saga in essence on your hands. All the experience draining in one hit.

By all means I’d immediately circumcise Waller,mpofu, vusi, Elton and chamu, but we are going to need a few more for another year or so.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene

Post by eugene »

I kept Ervine and Cremer around for experience. I seriously doubt BT will stick around anyway if we fail to qualify for the CWC. Hammy would be the only other one worth keeping.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 am
I kept Ervine and Cremer around for experience. I seriously doubt BT will stick around anyway if we fail to qualify for the CWC. Hammy would be the only other one worth keeping.
You not reckon BT would stick around? I thought he's signed a four year contract with ZC?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

BRMT needs to be around for ages.

eugene

Post by eugene »

This entire thread achieved its desired effect - the boys clearly read this post and realised they needed to play better, BRMT particularly.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I don't think BT or KJ have the option to return to England do they ?

I was actually thinking If I were Hamilton I'd seriously consider retiring from Zimbabwe and becoming a Global t20 player, with so many tournaments on now surely he could earn a good little retirement fund

As for moving on from certain players after the qualifiers for me I'd move past the following -

Vusi
Elton
Waller
Mpofu
Maruma
Tiripano

Guys I'd concentrate on -

Murray
Tari
Burl
Mutombodzi
Mavuta
Mumba
Blessing
Ngarava
Jongwe
Mashinge

For me the sooner Murray is in the side the better for a wicket keeping aspect but he needs to be contributing with the bat, we seem content with Burl, Waller & Moor averaging 20 or below batting @7 so surely he can do as good if not better.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene

Post by eugene »

Moor probably gives up 10 runs when he is keeping. Murray would only need to average 20 and keep well to be worth his place in the team.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

We need to invest in Murray and Musakanda like there is no tomorrow. Because, let's face it, if we don't, there indeed is no tomorrow.