[Match Thread] 2nd ODI: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] 2nd ODI: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe

Post by Andybligzz »

Couldn’t get on the forum last night as I was streaming the game off my iPhone to the tv. Great all round performance by zim and some really good signs heading forwards . The return to form by Taylor is exactly what needed to happen and it’s come at the perfect time , was a amazing innings to watch full of power and smart batting. Awesome performances from hammy and Raza with the blade and all the bowlers did a great job . I’ve been singing blessings praises since I first saw him bowling and was not let down again, the kid has something really special about him and must be persisted with ! Hope to see Waller out and musakanda in for the next game and sadly there’s no room for Jarvis as the bowlers all bowled beautifully.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

grant wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 am
It was great to see Muzarabani hit 135+ kph a lot more consistently this game than he used to earlier. Brian Vitori bowled genuinely quick and his pace will definitely come in handy in the qualifiers. Chatara got a bit of movement with the new ball and it was good to see him bowl around the 130 kph mark consistently. I remember he was bowling a lot slower in the BD-SL tri-series. And Cremer was sensational as usual!

BT's innings was a treat to watch, although his running between the wickets probably needs a little work. He got Hami out and then almost got Raza out too! Hopefully Ervine too comes back to form the next match.
Not sure i would gamble with Muzarabani in the qualifiers.

An attack of Jarvis, Vitori and Chatara gives me much more confidence. Also likely to get more overs about of Mire in Zimbabwean conditions.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 am
Hamilton-Mire have the 4th best average for openers in ODIs for Zimbabwe when you consider at least 10 innings opened. They average 38.53, just behind Duffin-Sibanda (avg 39), Campbell-Grant Flower (avg 39.33) and the Flower brothers (42.18)

They are also 3rd best opening partnership ever for Zim in terms of averages when you consider 500+ runs added in partnership. The Duffin-Sibanda pair disappears with that criteria added.

There is no reason to change anything up at the top till the qualifiers are over. It is working better than whatever we have had for a long time.

The one missed opportunity I feel was when we did not continue with Hamilton-Raza we experimented in 2014. They added 324 in 5 games at an average of 64! Then at different stages, they lost form and never opened together again. But now that Raza has found his place in the lower middle order, this suits their complementary games quite well.
Thank you Crimson

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Very interesting stats by Crimson. Something tells me Raza could be a deadly opener on his day. When he gets going he looks so comfortable on the crease. At the moment we need him where he is

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm
Very interesting stats by Crimson. Something tells me Raza could be a deadly opener on his day. When he gets going he looks so comfortable on the crease. At the moment we need him where he is
He's perfect where he is why would you want to change him?

Much like Hami he's a perfect opener but you want to move him as well

I've noticed this with you TapsC you like to change the batting order or you disagree with the current order Streak has picked
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Yeh moving Raza would be crazy he’s become our most reliable batsman and most respected player by opposition . He knows how to construct a innings and to also push the run rate when required. His odi average is now a very healthy and respectful 35. Can see it continuing to increase as he is 31 and in his prime as a player .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 am
Hamilton-Mire have the 4th best average for openers in ODIs for Zimbabwe when you consider at least 10 innings opened. They average 38.53, just behind Duffin-Sibanda (avg 39), Campbell-Grant Flower (avg 39.33) and the Flower brothers (42.18)

They are also 3rd best opening partnership ever for Zim in terms of averages when you consider 500+ runs added in partnership. The Duffin-Sibanda pair disappears with that criteria added.

There is no reason to change anything up at the top till the qualifiers are over. It is working better than whatever we have had for a long time.

The one missed opportunity I feel was when we did not continue with Hamilton-Raza we experimented in 2014. They added 324 in 5 games at an average of 64! Then at different stages, they lost form and never opened together again. But now that Raza has found his place in the lower middle order, this suits their complementary games quite well.
This seems like more of a reason for Mire to be a bit measured in the first few. Imagine if he gets in more consistently, him and Hami can form a dominant opening partnership.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Not just the stats, there is another reason why I wouldn't feel like changing anything there. Even if Mire scores 10 runs, the way he scores them gives a lot of confidence for guys sitting in the dressing room. He stamps authority before getting out, giving belief to others that there are no demons in the pitch. They in turn approach with no fear afterwards. Also takes pressure off Hamilton. Imagine Hamilton having to desperately make up for all the lack of momentum induced by Chamu and Vusi in the past. Mire is gold. He can start being a little more intelligent with shot selection, but in any case he'll come good more often than the previous incumbents.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, I like the temperament combo of Hami/Mire too. It is our best chance to settle this slot that has been such a pain for a long while.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 am
Yeah, I like the temperament combo of Hami/Mire too. It is our best chance to settle this slot that has been such a pain for a long while.
I mentioned the other I wouldn't mind moving Mire down the order in the short term because he's struggling a bit but I agree Mire & Hami is our best opening partnership.

I think they're both struggling a bit facing the spinners from ball one
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement