Cash crunch threatens to derail Zimbabwe's season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Cash crunch threatens to derail Zimbabwe's season

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Boundary wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Zim can "host" a couple ODIs at the Oval or Edgbaston in April or May - advertise it well, we could fill it up with patriotic Zimbos. Cash in hand.
Pakistan would be ideal, Ireland or Afghanistan would do as well. What's the use of having a sizeable number of expats if you can't use them in a situation such as this?
How many expats does ZIM have in UK? Im guessing most are white and probably see themselves as British esp if they have that red passport and Western surnames like Thomas, Williams or Taylor?

Bangladesh has 500k expats in the UK - but most of them are impoverished even though we always fill the small English venues. The ECB still doesnt think we are lucrative enough to host.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm
Where does the ECB stand on Zimbabwe at the moment?
Dont see ECB minding if ZIM play neutrals in UK...afterall they are letting ZIM qualify for the WC arent they? They may forfeit their match vs ZIM at the WC but I doubt that as they need points being faves to finally win a WC.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I have heard people say there are more than a million Zimbabweans in the UK. Don't know how true that is

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Can confirm there are plenty of zimbos here in Aus as well especially in the suburb I’m next to called “ Joondalup “ there first team in cricket is known to be full of zims and south Africans mainly of white colour. I went to high school with around 10 zimbos in my year with only 250 odd off us graduating .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm
I have heard people say there are more than a million Zimbabweans in the UK. Don't know how true that is
If we count the numbers strictly, I wouldn't be surprised. But we aren't a single unit - scattered across different generations, into separate professional and geographical clusters and interests. Nothing "truly" national has happened in all the years I've been here - you get an occasional tv appearance, or an achievement by someone in some profession; there was once a summer music/bbq festival but I haven't heard anything about it in years. Also years ago I remember a glittering ball attended by some famous Zim faces it was in newspapers, nothing came of it as far I'm aware. So while there might really be a million people in the UK, no one has ever brought a large number of them into a single stadium. I'm not even sure they can be mobilised but the possibilities for ZC must be tantalising.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The way to mobilize people is to actually win games. Zimbabweans are scattered absolutely everywhere. I was in the UK for 4 years not so long ago. I ran into Zimbabweans so often it was ridiculous. I heard people randomly speaking Shona so often. Even in this current series there was a bunch of Zim supporters in Sharjah. The Australia and NZ world cup had people confused as they couldn't understand how we had any supporters as well.. S.A. is even worse. I am in Germany for the year and there are lots of Zimbabweans here too. It's crazy. We are slowly becoming the new "Nigerian" if you understand what I mean. Lots of us everywhere. If we by some miracle make the world cup we will see lots of supporters coming out.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Correct, winning games is the first step. Keep winning until there's pride in the shirt.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 am
The way to mobilize people is to actually win games. Zimbabweans are scattered absolutely everywhere. I was in the UK for 4 years not so long ago. I ran into Zimbabweans so often it was ridiculous. I heard people randomly speaking Shona so often. Even in this current series there was a bunch of Zim supporters in Sharjah. The Australia and NZ world cup had people confused as they couldn't understand how we had any supporters as well.. S.A. is even worse. I am in Germany for the year and there are lots of Zimbabweans here too. It's crazy. We are slowly becoming the new "Nigerian" if you understand what I mean. Lots of us everywhere. If we by some miracle make the world cup we will see lots of supporters coming out.
Nigeria has 180 million people but ZIM only has 12 or so. Also isn't Shona spoken by various groups of southern Africans like South Africans, Mozambiqans, Botswanans?

Googly

Post by Googly »

We’re scattered so far and wide that Shona might become a universal language :lol: