Cash crunch threatens to derail Zimbabwe's season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Cash crunch threatens to derail Zimbabwe's season

Post by Googly »

If they can’t sell broadcasting rights to WC qualifiers then I just don’t know. Every country involved, particularly the probables surely will be desperate to watch and will pay?The overpaid fat fucks in charge of ZC Public Relations and Media should have to explain what the issue is.
The players must just stand down until these people are made to go. I just had coffee this morning with a gentleman who informed me one of the big scams is the transport contract for visiting teams. It may have been the West Indies tour- one of the cousin brothers received $150k for arranging the coach for the visiting team. It worked out to be about $10k for each 5km bus ride- clearly some big kick backs involved. When our local FC players can’t get their $200 a month salaries and this type of thing is going on and they don’t stand firm then they deserve what they get. It makes my blood boil. Right here is a smoking gun that should be investigated.
Why do you need to award a contract? Just phone one of the luxury bus companies and hire the bus for $200 bucks a trip and not $10 000. This information has given me a facial tic.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Imagine the excitement at the prospect of arranging transport for these qualifiers!! This Hasnain fellow needs to look into this. That scam will be going far up the tree.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Firstly, there is plenty of bullshit and fake news being spread on social media. The advent of this is amateur and/or biased reporters having their two cents.
Case in point;
I Have seen a lot of black zimbos spread some article that reports trump said ‘most Africans are stupid and corrupt’ when in reality Trump was referring to dictatorships. Anyone who saw the context knows this. The facts are twisted when worded like that.

Same thing when people claim Trump lie when he uses clear hyperbole. He cops it the worst.
But everyone does it and I guarantee there will be articles to back up whatever political viewpoint you have.
That addresses zimbo_5 point.

Secondly Googly, to answer your OP, I don’t know for sure but sometimes when people cry poor like this it’s just part of a hustle to get more money.
When I’m saving hard I tell my friends I have no money to go out. Reality is I have the money, but would rather allocate It to elsewhere.

If you support a sport with a salary cap, you’ll often read team X lost this player or cut this player because they couldn’t afford them. That is code for ‘we would rather buy someone else’ the proof being these teams often announce a big signing a month after.

I also donated to a dog refuge last year, but I noticed they said ‘we need 100k or we will fold’.
That 100k just didn’t appear from nowhere. They have been operating well to that point. I donated because whisky I thought the 100k was a bit of a hustle, I believed that they genuinely needed some cash.

Same thing here I think.
Hasnan could be dramatising in an effort to lobby for increased funding that he has identified as advantageous but not necessarily critical for basic life support.

The evidence is like you said, this didn’t happen overnight. How would he have not seen it coming as an unbiased outsider?

It’s a hustle.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

Googly wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 am
If they can’t sell broadcasting rights to WC qualifiers then I just don’t know. Every country involved, particularly the probables surely will be desperate to watch and will pay?
Afghanistan has a huge TV audience. That country is so cricket-crazy that their stadiums are jam-packed even for domestic tournaments! Then there's Nepal as well, if they make it to the qualifiers.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Apparently ZC have asked ICC for a loan to conduct the Pakistan series. Let's see how that goes...

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Maybe that's why he said we were broke in the first place. Looking for an ICC hand out. I think the bigger play is to get the ICC to loan them money to clear their debt with Bvute's bank and finally get rid of that burden. Then they will just be taking a portion of our allocation every year

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Zim can "host" a couple ODIs at the Oval or Edgbaston in April or May - advertise it well, we could fill it up with patriotic Zimbos. Cash in hand.
Pakistan would be ideal, Ireland or Afghanistan would do as well. What's the use of having a sizeable number of expats if you can't use them in a situation such as this?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Boundary wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Zim can "host" a couple ODIs at the Oval or Edgbaston in April or May - advertise it well, we could fill it up with patriotic Zimbos. Cash in hand.
Pakistan would be ideal, Ireland or Afghanistan would do as well. What's the use of having a sizeable number of expats if you can't use them in a situation such as this?
Not a bad idea at all. A tri-series between Zim Afghanistan and Ireland wouldn't be bad at all. The English have to be on our side for that to happen tho

eugene

Post by eugene »

Where does the ECB stand on Zimbabwe at the moment?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

eugene wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm
Where does the ECB stand on Zimbabwe at the moment?
I don't think the ECB's hawkish stance has shifted much, that's why matches against England are a non-starter for now. But the ECB has generally followed the British government advice and I think I'd say they have moved from hostile to neutral. So while they wouldn't play us, they would allow us to play Ireland, with Surrey/Warwickshire being the final decision-makers.
Politically, if elections go without glitch and are pronounced free and fair then cautious goodwill will follow. But for matches against England to be feasible, we'd have to have some commercial clout - filling up an English Test ground does that nicely. [Besides, we'd love to see Jarvis in English conditions. :D ]