What’s the most attractive country to play cricket?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: What’s the most attractive country to play cricket?

Post by eugene »

New Zealand is the answer. A good infrastructure for cricket, but not one that will completely overwhelm a newcomer. Nice weather - not too hot or cold. NZ also doesn't have the social ills that South Africa, Australia, and the UK have - much more peaceful.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm
Secondly-
The NZ advocates make a lot of sense, if your focus is to get into a test team. It’s the way to go. However I’ll stress again, you won’t ever be paid much, and if your cricket career falters then I hope your content with a virtual ceiling income of 60k US a year. That’s a huge salary in NZ.
Most career minded New Zealanders leave.
If that’s not a huge priority though you’re cheering.
If they are after fat paychecks and not ultra supremely talented they should just use their cricket skills to get into a good uni in the UK--I bet an Oxford law degree (Malcom Lake) offers a better return on investment than a decent Test career for England or Oz.

However: according to the World Happiness Report NZ should be your choice among cricket playing countries, although Australia are ranked just below them (NZ #8, Oz #9 ... UK #19 ... Zim #138 out of 155). Btw, Denmark are always around the top (currently ranked second), so Keith Dabengwa is definitely onto something there :)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I'm firmly with the NZ brigade. Good points made all around too.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ljriley90 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 pm
Googly wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 am
I’m sure I’ve asked this before- have India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka ever had a white guy in their FC structure? A good player would benefit hugely from a FC season there.
Nick Compton been opening the batting with my club's pro this winter in Sri Lanka - http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 11718.html
Interesting, he gets around a bit. Good player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you’re any good and you have aspirations of playing international cricket then look no further than Zimbabwe, Zim itself is incredibly hard to break into.
I don’t know why you guys think NZ is comparatively easy to crack? They’ve got an unbelievable team at the moment, they’ve got 150 kph seamers and a serious batting line up.

It shows what the highest level of cricket is really all about because despite all the negativity we have some damn good players, but there are levels and then there are levels. Once you have a certain skill set it’s just the head that dictates how far you’ll go, being a quality international batter is some serious shit, those guys are tough.
I have seen loads of disillusioned players think they’re somehow going to crack a club scene and advance. That’s about a one in ten thousand shot. If you were good enough you’d be picked up way before then. Three years of Club cricket practically puts you out of the running for anything higher, I’m talking UK here. The gap between Club and Twos is a big jump and it’s unlikely that you will buy a run if you haven’t played that level. I’ve been trying to find a player that was spotted by a scout in some league who’s been invited to play Two’s in a trial and I’m drawing a blank. I’m sure there are a few, but England have unbelievable pathways and the good guys get spotted as youth players as a rule. Maybe I’m wrong?

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are 5 English Uni’s that are MCC affiliated and the good cricketers try and get into them. Making those teams is not easy, there are some exceptional players in those sides. One of our ex Zimbo youngsters, Kyle Hopper, was in the Oxford Brooks squad, but I don’t think got any games. Part of that is being non English, but also reflects the standard as he’s a fairly good leggie and can bat a bit. MCC provide them with cash (which they probably don’t really need) and they have mouth watering facilities and top coaches. They play on the Uni and on the Two’s circuit. They usually get beaten by Two’s sides if they turn out a strong side, but often they will give younger guys and a couple of trialists a shot for these games.
Oxford and Oxford Brookes have a combined side, so theoretically should be the strongest on paper.
This is a really good way of being noticed by a County, but you have to do something quite exceptional, or have a good last season at Uni. I think a County can actually approach that uni and they will release you so you can have a game or several for the County. The English system really works.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yeah, why does everyone think the NZ team is so easy to break in to? The domestic scene in NZ is quite strong, and with only six teams there aren't a lot of vacancies for more players.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s a young guy called Dusty Melton whom I think has a claim to a Zim passport. I think it was Ngidi or one of those guys who used to bowl first change to Melton, but Melton didn’t get a look in and decided to stop trying in the SA system. He’s played two seasons of English club cricket and dominated and he eventually got a shot in a T20 County warm up game and was Man of the Match, he’s a bloody good lower order batsman as well. Anyway they were thinking he might get a few more games (easier for bowlers to get games), but he never heard from anyone again. That happens a lot and it’s damned unfair. Unless you’ve got someone influential punting for you there’s every chance you’ll disappear without a trace. Counties persevere with guys who’ve come through their age group systems often at the expense of better players. I guess it’s hard to cut someone loose who’s been with you since they were ten years old.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched another South African youngster on a school tour in England, he was a damned good player, absolutely dominated some excellent schoolboy bowling. I spoke to his dad who was telling me he had arranged a County trial for his son (really not sure how he managed that) and that he’d probably get a contract. I know how the system works and know that’s not possible, but I so enjoyed watching the kid that I embarked on a long drive the following week and I went to watch. He got absolutely owned by the two Essex giant openers. I think he got pinned about 4 times in the first few overs and just couldn’t figure out how to get off strike and got a rude welcome to men’s cricket. He tried hitting his way out of trouble and nicked off and went home with his tail between his legs. I’ve looked out for him in SA and haven’t seen him. I’m at a loose end as my TV had just been cut off otherwise I wouldn’t be telling you this, but my point is that the transition from schoolboy to men’s or from one level to another is usually not easy. Quite often the batters with grit and determination and a bit less talent transition, whilst a surprising number of dashers don’t quite cut it.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Random question, are Zimbabwe shops still pricing products in US dollars. Thanks.