Patience Please

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Patience Please

Post by TapsC »

Williams is probably the one guy you can clearly see wants to win all the time. Panyangara for me rarely showed the passion. Hami also just looks like he is going through the paces until he gets dropped then comes back with a bang

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

The biggest problem with our younger players ( and most of our older ones as well ) is that they don’t have enough mental strength to see out difficult periods. We’ve proved many times that when batting in good conditions and if we get away to a good start our batsman have the skills and power to score big but it’s when times get a bit tough and pressure goes up they just freak out.

For Burl his role down the order is to steady the ship if we lose a few wickets and to make sure 120 -4 doesn’t turn j to 154 all our, he needs to put away the cross bat shots and just play straight and loook to rotate strike and see off the likes of Rashid. The sad thing is Burl played Rashid really well in the Shpergeeza ( or how ever you spell it ) league in Afghanistan and also did ok against him in his debut series, but he’s just got no idea this time around.

Tari is in the same boat when the pressure goes up he plays a dumb shot, both his dismissals in the Test were poor shots under pressure. I’m very surprised how happy everyone is with a couple of flashy 20’s 30’s and 40’s but I guess that shows how bare our cupboard is.

Moor has shown he has the temperament to dig in but he probably doesn’t have the foot work or skill to rotate the strike against the spinners.

Waller well he’s a lost cause imo now I’ve had enough of him I’d rather anyone but him now.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Another thing I’ll say about Burl is that’s he’s suffering the Craig Ervine syndrome of batting too low down the order, he would really benefit from batting in the top 3 especially in this series to get him away from Rashid.

Burl is a class batsman who’s just struggling to find his feet I’ll take any bet from anyone that by the time he and Tari pass 50 ODI caps Burl will have more 50 plus scores and a higher average

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I feel the selection of Waller is an insult to every domestic player grafting away for peanuts.

Please just no more.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm
I feel the selection of Waller is an insult to every domestic player grafting away for peanuts.

Please just no more.
Can’t really argue

To be fair there aren’t many guys demanding to be picked from our List A performances in the last years Pro50 or our A tour matches

The Kenya series has been put into perspective now

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm
zimfan1 wrote:

Please just no more.
Can’t really argue

To be fair there aren’t many guys demanding to be picked from our List A performances in the last years Pro50 or our A tour matches

Think Prince maybe worth another look as he seems to have come on a lot as a player in the last 2 years.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm
zimfan1 wrote:

Please just no more.
Can’t really argue

It has been clear for a long time that domestic performances are meaningless, perhaps rightfully so. However, Waller doesn't exactly have much to show in the international arena either. Persisting with Ervine through a rough patch makes sense because he has shown the ability to be one of our best, has Waller ever played two decent innings in the same series?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

When I actually think about it we really shouldn't end up having to compare both Tari and Burl as I believe they should both be in the team. The final thing I will say is that Burl might have more composure in the end but why people are so attracted to Tari's style is that he didn't look out of place at international level.

A lot of the times he got out was him playing a stupid shot. He made his debut in a final against Sri Lanka and actually top scored with 36 in an innings that we made a total of 160. He has Crossed 50 in ODIs and got a 48 in Sri Lanka. He replaced Burl in that series because of sickness and we honestly didnt look back.

Tari averages 29 after 9 international games with a strike rate of about 85 and Burl is on about 16 after 12 with a strike rate of about 65.. it's clear one player has adapted to playing international cricket faster than the other. He plays at number 3 as well which is not easy.

I just haven't seen that kind of ability in Burl on the big stage yet. He doesn't look like he has the full shot selection required in ODIs yet. Don't get me wrong though he has the potential. He just needs to deliver on it. I would say he has the kind of game which will see him score big when gets in especially in test cricket. Very similar player to Ervine

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm
When I actually think about it we really shouldn't end up having to compare both Tari and Burl as I believe they should both be in the team. The final thing I will say is that Burl might have more composure in the end but why people are so attracted to Tari's style is that he didn't look out of place at international level.

A lot of the times he got out was him playing a stupid shot. He made his debut in a final against Sri Lanka and actually top scored with 36 in an innings that we made a total of 160. He has Crossed 50 in ODIs and got a 48 in Sri Lanka. He replaced Burl in that series because of sickness and we honestly didnt look back.

Tari averages 29 after 9 international games with a strike rate of about 85 and Burl is on about 16 after 12 with a strike rate of about 65.. it's clear one player has adapted to playing international cricket faster than the other. He plays at number 3 as well which is not easy.

I just haven't seen that kind of ability in Burl on the big stage yet. He doesn't look like he has the full shot selection required in ODIs yet. Don't get me wrong though he has the potential. He just needs to deliver on it. I would say he has the kind of game which will see him score big when gets in especially in test cricket. Very similar player to Ervine
Well summed up TapsC

You're right there's probably room for both in this side at the moment but if Williams were to return one would have to drop out for now.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I can't see us fitting them both in. Burl is a better youth option in tests - tari seems the better youth option in ODIs