ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, Zimbabwe : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zousk483
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018, Zimbabwe : Discussion

Post by Zousk483 »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 am
That article is the beginning of the revolt that I have been talking about. Expect more. It has valid points too. Maybe the names mentioned might not be the best but it's also clear that PJ Waller and Burl are struggling. Burl has to produce that knock very soon.

With Zhuwao they are going to argue that the kids who were picked(Tari and Burl) were struggling against the same Kenya we are saying was weak. In fact going on our weird history you would most likely see a Chamu scoring big in a tournament like the qualifier than the likes of Tari or Burl. Don't know why. In fact Chamu came back into the team because of a big century against an associate

In the end the selectors have their reasons and it wouldn't be fair to judge them because we don't know. What every fan wants now is clarity I guess. They just need to explain why they are picking certain players. Why Burl is still there or PJ or Tari. Why Zhuwao isn't there. What the other guys need to do. There is obviously a clear bias towards the rising stars as well.

Someone like Kevin Kasuza is a very good example. The kid is 24. Has a FC average of 32 from 49 games. PJ has the same average from 47 games and he has proven to be a very handy and gritty test player where strike rotation is not a priority for him. Brian Chari has a FC average of 24 after 57 games but we all know Streak would pick Chari over Kasuza.

Ernest Masuku is another one. He came into the domestic scene this season with a bang. Claiming 30 wickets in 6 games. He was getting a lot of LBWs suggesting that he gets a lot of movement.. That's extremely impressive but he didn't even play against Kenya. Blessing Muzarabani who I really like has played 6 games with 18 wickets and he went straight into the national side. Cleary this is because Taibu knows the rising stars players.

The argument then becomes how does a selector based in England know about the rest of the players on the ground?. Somebody like Masuku is clearly special but has Taibu even seem him play? He needs to move back or quit the job. It's a bit ridiculous if you really think about it. Not rewarding players performing on the domestic front is very risky business.

Zousk483
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zousk483 »

TapsC very good analysis in my opinion.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 am
Coach and Conveyor of Selectors, rates domestic cricket much lower as the players who performed in domestic cricket have failed to deliver at the international stage against top teams. Chakabva, Chibhabha, Chari, Tiripano, Madziva have failed once they were given chances, they haven't put out any massive performance that could put them in the scheme of things.

Performing for Zimbabwe A against UAE, Kenya, Canada, Netherlands aren't enough for selection.
So then what exactly is he using to pick players? His judgment? Thats not good enough at an international level. We can't have 2 people telling us who exactly is good enough. People naturally have grudges.

I think we need a panel of at least 5 guys. I hate to say it but you might need to add all 4 domestic coaches as well plus Taibu Streak and Cremer. I think that's fair. 7 guys then they can vote.

As for Mire he clearly doesn't have a lot of technique(just like Zhuwao) but I think he might deliver just at the right time. Our opponents are not the best. I wish he was still bowling. I don't know why they stopped him. His value to the team would increase. Instead of stopping him they should be training him to do better. Control is something that can be learnt not pace. At full swing he is faster than Chatara and Jarvis.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In order to qualify we’re into miracle territory if our current results are anything to go by.
Is the Board ever going to take the blame for the diabolical shambles that is our cricket or are they going to keep firing the coaching staff?
These rumblings that Taps is talking about is just typical of the stupidity that surrounds our cricket- people are muttering about incorrect selections, rightly or wrongly, but don’t want to ever tackle the real problem, which is a massively incompetent and corrupt administration that has created this giant unsolveable mess in the first place. These rumblings smack of a split in the administrative ranks and people being instructed to start showing discontent because I don’t think our players here are capable of independent thought. I’d like to think we’re beyond worrying about colour here, but what with Jarvis and BT apparently on a better wicket and not really pulling off miracles and the performances of Streak, Moor, Burl, Waller and Burl being called into question I’m getting an unpleasant whiff of something unpalatable.
We don’t get to play much cricket at any level anyway, so what are we going to be missing if all the players just simply refuse to pick up a bat or a ball until the swamp is drained. There’s nothing to lose.
Could we find any suitable replacements?
Mmmm... short answer- No :lol:
But there’s something in the air.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Firing Coaches and Changing Captains isn't the answer of Zimbabwe's poor performance. Streak was appointed as bowling coach of Zimbabwe in 2013 and after he was removed, the same "coach " took Bangladesh cricket to a differant level same goes woth Phil Simmons, he was fired from Zimbabwe coach 's role but the same man surprised cricket world with Irish Cricket that too in ICC events, beating Pakistan, England, West Indies, Zimbabwe.Coaching staffs doesnt play the game, they just shape the plan, and players had to excecute that plan with their talent.

Question lies here is " Where are the talents for international cricket "? The domestic cricketers and the national team players all are average club standard players, such talents can't win international games regularly, they can just give some surprise else they can do nothing.

Lots of things needs to be done which isn't possible unless long term " CASH SHORTAGE " problem is solved in Zimbabwe Cricket. Cash has now huge impact in the game and Windies Cricket Team is the prime example, they are not even considering national duties, T20 events all around the world, in whole calender year have become sufficient for them to earn huge, without any tension of international cricket.
Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

When we’ve been guaranteed our biggest long term handout ever we’re suddenly experiencing a “cash shortage?”
Suddenly we’re no longer able to host any games because it’s too expensive?
How can hosting the WC qualifiers, India and Australia not be revenue generating?
If there’s truth in all of this why can’t we see the numbers?
Why do they keep interrupting the domestic season?
Why are the people standing by and not demanding answers?
Why are ZC so arrogant that they don’t feel they need to offer any explanations whatsoever?
Let’s see the refurbishment costs of the grounds being used for the qualifiers. Why don’t ZC proudly post pics of the progress and what they’ve achieved? You’d think the Takashinga boys would be over the moon that their ground and Club House is getting a makeover, c’mon lads, post pictures, show us what’s going on.
If they’ve cancelled domestic cricket to focus on these qualifiers can we expect a world class event?
If it’s the monumental mess that we’re anticipating is anybody going to be held accountable? Perhaps that’s why they’re ensuring it’s not televised?

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Yea something must be horribly wrong at the top, as you’d expect Faisal to be communicating a bit better about current affairs, but hay, guess we’ll just have to rely on our inside men, as usual !

PGada

Post by PGada »

removed at request of author

PGada

Post by PGada »

removed at request of author

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The power struggles at ZC will never end. It's an organisation getting handouts of almost 100 million plus has 14 sponsors. It can't get better than that in Zimbabwe to be honest. To be honest I think the current board tried their best to get us ready for the qualifiers but the players are letting them down. Let me put it this way. I doubt Bvute and Chingoka and Makoni would have wanted to eat into their loot by giving BT and Jarvis money upfront and long term contract. The figures are debatable but it's clear they got a lot of money. BT bought a nice house in Borrowdale. Jarvis moved into Borrowdale Brooke so I hear. Those are not cheap neighbourhoods. It shows some kind of money was paid. It's not then unreasonable for fans to expect better performances. They have to stand out as our best. Even Taylor himself said he made more money playing for Zim than notts. That county comfort stuff was a lie. Just think how much they are going to make off match fees alone this year.

We should be past race and it makes me sad that we are still in such a position but being black myself I know that somebody like Zhuwao will look at Burl or Murray or PJ or Waller and ask himself why these guys are constantly picked (Murray being the one time though) ahead of him yet he genuinely put in the hours and delivered on the domestic scene. It's honestly outrageous that somebody can score a 266 against bowlers like Jarvis who we look up to and not get a sniff up top. The sad thing is that a lot of the non performers are white and the likes of Makoni and Bvute will use this to get control again. Streak and Taibu are showing no wisdom here and risk destroying cricket forever. They would have lost nothing sending Zhuwao to Dubai and if he wasn't good enough it would have shown. We can't trust their opinion forever.

Let me put it this way. For maybe some of my white forum members. How frustrated were you when you saw Elton getting picked all the time but he only did well in 1 game out of 10? You should be feeling that same energy with PJ and Waller. Burl is young and doesn't deserve to be put in That category. That selection panel was kicked out. If we don't qualify this selection panel and coach have to be shown the door as well. We forget that we fired Whatmore for losing to Afghanistan.