Will Zimbabwe qualify?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Will Zimbabwe qualify?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 32

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Will Zimbabwe qualify?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

If ICC is sensible, they could still say top 4 would go through from this tournament, in which case we would still stand a chance. Well, ICC. Who am I kidding?

I'd say replace Dave Richardson with Kumar Sangakkara. One law practitioner + wicket keeper for another. Plus a legend of the game.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pm
If ICC is sensible, they could still say top 4 would go through from this tournament, in which case we would still stand a chance. Well, ICC. Who am I kidding?

I'd say replace Dave Richardson with Kumar Sangakkara. One law practitioner + wicket keeper for another. Plus a legend of the game.
Yea having two places is criminal. It's about making as much money as possible and keeping the big teams playing each other.

The 2003 CWC was far far faaaar too long, and had stupidly meaningless games like the one between Canada and Sri Lanka, or the Sri Lanka Bangladesh game; not to mention the early exit of Pakistan.

2007 was just not enjoyable to watch, even. Bermuda getting bummed by India was the worst game of cricket I've ever seen, played at an empty Stadium. The grounds were always empty and India and Pakistans early exit meant Tv deals and money flew out of the tournament. They made sure that wouldn't happen again for the 2011 CWC, granted, but having only two additional places is now stupid.

The sides like Scotland, 'Holland' (as they were called back then), Ireland and Afganistan are all now very good ODI sides. They have an amalgamation of talented youth and experience in their squads, as well as seasoned, quality cricketers. The squads playing in 03' and 07' were so far off the mark. Scotland in 2007 had a really avergae side, as did Holland.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Not to mention the death of Bob Woolmer in 2007.

That being said, I liked the format of 2007. 16 teams but with the minnows only playing three games before the Super 8s which were basically a round-robin. If India and Pakistan, or perhaps even just India had made it to the Super 8s I reckon we would still have that format today. The success of the minnows in 2007 has ultimately led to fewer opportunities for them - quite ironic really.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

The success of the minnows in 2007 has ultimately led to fewer opportunities for them - quite ironic really.

Exactly. A real shame. Monetary wise the ICC simply can not afford a side like India to have a bad world cup and leave early, due to a bad performance or two against the smaller ranked nations.

celsito

Post by celsito »

I hope they will play good cricket as a fun I want them in world cup u you never know :W: I hope you will regroup and will play very good cricket all the best

chetanpatel1981

Post by chetanpatel1981 »

Yes...definetly Zimbabwe will surely qualify in coming worldcup...think positive..be positve..good time is very nearer...stay tuned..best of luck zimbabwe cricket

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I want us to qualify but as it stands I doubt we will. Just not enough fight in these guys. They give up too quickly.

The world cup and the champions trophy having the same number of teams is nonsense. The world cup is supposed to involve as many teams as possible. I would have preferred 4 groups of 4 with a quarter and semi final as well. Knockout games are where real champions are made. After the main 12 Netherlands Scotland and the UAE are not that bad.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The fact there are no semi finals hurts us

I was relying on getting through to the semi then hopefully winning that

Realistically we can only drop 1 game I reckon to go through
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I actually like the no semifinal format. I just don't trust our guys in an elimination match. A longer tournament fill me with more confidence.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes